HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  First Time Goat Owner
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Topic: First Time Goat Owner  (Read 12489 times)
jsid20
Bottle Babies

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 11:29:13 AM »

I would appreciate any and all the tips in summary for raising a pet mini goat in your big fenced backyard.I am first time pet owner of a mini goat.please help with my goat to keep jumping outside my 6' wooden fence.I feed him purina goat chow & hey. should I  mix some water if  goat chow dried out?? I bought a 50lb bag.what are the other most important tips a begeners must know??? Smiley
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 11:56:01 AM »

You will have problems as long as you have just one goat.  What your goat needs is another goat asap.  They are not meant to be alone.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 12:45:53 PM »

Yes #1 goat law is always have a buddy. That might be why he's jumping.
The feed doesnt need to be soaked.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »

Depending on where you live and the temp, wet feed will ferment and mold quickly, causing all sorts of medical problems, most fatal, to your goats.

As was said before, a single goat is an unhappy goat. They are insecure and flighty when they are by themselves. In the wild, a lone goat is a target for predators. In their tiny little brains, that is still the case. Find the poor thing a friend and he/she will probably stay put in his/her own yard.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
jsid20
Bottle Babies

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 04:10:58 PM »

Living in louisiana.temperature yesterday was in 30's(we had light frost).
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »

Its usually warmer and damper, right? I  wouldn't dampen the feed. The goat probably wouldn't eat it, they are such picky things when it comes to food. Can you store the extra feed in a secure garbage can or tote? That would help keep it fresh. If you kept it in the original bag and then placed the entire thing in a sealed container, that would be even better.

Another thing you really have to watch for is worms. Living in a warm, damp environment worms are going to be a major problem.

Learn how to trim your goats feet, that's important too.

Never change the goats diet quickly, do it slowly over the course of several days.

Find a good vet who understands and has experience with goats. They are few and far between. Have that vets number close by just in case. Sometimes things happen very quickly with goats.

Even though you feed a balanced feed, it would not hurt to pick up a small bag of goat minerals and offer it free choice to your goat.

What sex is your goat?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 05:37:39 AM »

Living in louisiana.temperature yesterday was in 30's(we had light frost).

What part of Louisiana?  I'm down here in Roseland...not far out of Amite, and Arcola...40 miles north of Covington.  I'll help you find a companion for your goat...I know a lot of responsible goat herders down here if you're in this area.

~ Birdie ~
jsid20
Bottle Babies

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »

gretna, louisiana Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 04:30:24 PM »

You're 85 miles south of me...I do know a mini breeder in Folsom...she's actually a rescue...I can contact her for you if you'd like me to.

~ Birdie ~
jsid20
Bottle Babies

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »

yes you may please. Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:38 AM »

I will attempt to contact her today...but with the holiday season upon us, she may be with family...but if I don't get her today, then I'll attempt to contact her wednesday.

She has pygmy and nigi x pygmy on her farm...she's also a Pyr Rescue...so she has lots to do...she works at TSC..that's where I met her. Smiley  Really good gal.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: