HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 05:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44813 Posts in 3027 Topics by 812 Members
Latest Member: DawnR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  tetanus antitoxin dose
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: tetanus antitoxin dose  (Read 2291 times)
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« on: May 21, 2011, 08:59:46 PM »

Hi,

I'm sure this is somewhere already but would you mind telling me again what the dosage is for the tetanus antitoxin for a 3 week old nigerian dwarf? I know his mom didn't have the CD&T vaccine.  I didn't give him the antitoxin prior to disbudding a couple of weeks ago but he has now scraped off the horn bud scab and it is bleeding.  I should have done it when he was originally disbudded but I do worry about them having that shock from the vaccine.  I wish I had.  I don't want to take that chance now.  Thanks you guys.

Elizabeth
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 05:13:08 AM »

C&D Antitoxin - Over-the-counter product that can be safely used for many problems. Severe diarrhea in very young kids, toxicity situations in which the goat is frothing at the mouth, one of the products administered to combat Floppy Kid Syndrome . . . these are a few of the applications of this very versatile product which is almost impossible to overuse. This product provides short-term protection (just a few hours) but works quickly towards solving the immediate problem. Young kids should receive a minimum of 3 cc sub-cutaneously (SQ) up to three times a day; adults should receive 10-15 cc, depending upon size of the animal. C&D Antitoxin negates any protection previously given by CD/T vaccine. Therefore, the producer must wait for at least five days after completion of C&D Antitoxin therapy and re-vaccinate the animal with the initial CD/T injection and the booster 30 days thereafter. This is extremely important to remember. Must be stored under refrigeration.

Here is the link to the dosage page on GB it is a sticky in the vet clinic
http://www.goatbeat.net/health_dosagechart.html

Nancy

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:42:45 AM »

Sheep and swine: give 5,000-12,500 units.
1500 units = 1 single dose.

Also approved for Goats:
Colorado serum recommends using one 1,500 unit vial per goat regardless of size/age for prevention and higher levels (3x and higher) for treatment.

For treatment administer 10,000 to 50,000 units to horses and cattle and 3,000 to 15,000 units to sheep and swine.  Animals that suffer slow healing puncture wounds or deep abrasions should be given a second dose of antitoxin in seven (7) days and additionally as considered necessary.

If you call your Vet you can get a single dose vile of Tetanus Antitoxin. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: