HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 06:34:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19684 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Adopting 3 African Pygmy Goats
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Adopting 3 African Pygmy Goats  (Read 5040 times)
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« on: September 18, 2011, 03:02:08 PM »

Hi, I have 2 nubian/alpine mixes at home (lil ladies) and am about to adopt 2 female and 1 male African Pygmy Goats from a friend. I need advice, all kinds! Can I keep the Pygmies with the Nubian Mixes? They are going to be of breeding age soon, should I separate them so that they don't have kids during wintertime?

I am soooooo excited!
 Smiley
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »

You should be aware that little pygmy intact boys can breed at the age of 2 months.  So be aware of that fact.  I know---been there and done that!
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 05:32:39 PM »

Yes, their owner already told me that they are ready to breed, so if I don't want them to, I should separate them. I am aware that the two lil girls may already be preggo!

I wanted to hold off breeding the nubians until Spring because we live on Long Island and don't want Little Ones born in the dead of winter.

Thanks for the tip!  Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:06:18 PM »

Your does may not be in heat in the spring. If you want them for May, when the weather is nice, then breed them in December. I used to breed for January kids, but last year I bred for April. I am probably going to do the same this year. I work evenings and don't want to be dragging my sorry butt out to the barn all winter long in the wee hours of the morn.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

I agree Dragon.  If you want babies born in the late Spring, then you will breed in December.  That will lessen the chance of "frost bitten" baby ears.  There is always a chance that your does will have their last heat in January, so be aware of that. 
I would be willing to bet that you would have less trouble in the winter with babies and cold than we have up here in Maine.  And we breed for very late March or April babies.
animegalash
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »

I bred for january babies this year. Mostly because it feels better down here in GA in the winter, because the spring gets hot. And it'll only be really cold for about a month while they're being born. Never gets to frost bite weather.

Are pygmys year round breeders? I know some breeds have ruts and other can breed year round.

I luv my herd. Jack, Maisey, Peanut, Maybelle, Tessa, Jenni, Ernie, Ricky Riccardo, Bruno, Abi, Mimzy, Gypsy Jan.

http://sandyoaksfarm.webs.com/
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:09:03 AM »

Yes, Ashley, Pygmy's can breed year round, but ours bred best in the fall.

How old are your pygmy's? If they are babies I do hope your girls aren't pregnant.  The ease of birthing isn't an attribute they have.  Breeding them too young (under a year old) is risky. 

Can't wait to see pictures of them.

~ Birdie ~
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »

I'm resting up while my toddler and they are all in pen except the older female pygmy. I can't catch her to save me life. She got so excited she took one of my ice cream empty cartons ate out of it, and hooked it around her head running like a mad woman around the yard. I'm exhausted. I sat on the ground with her, but I think it is going to take many hours to get her to calm down.

The two little ones are 20 some odd weeks. I am not sure if either are pregnant and I hope they aren't too! I have heard of the Littlest Ones needing C-Sections!  Sad

How will I know if they are pregnant? Also, how do I know they are in heat?

My 2 older Nubian Mixes were born in May. I think the older one. Felicity (by one week) was in heat last month because she kept trying to mount Chloe.

So, I am going to keep them separate. Now I just need to catch them LOL. I'll take pictures later tonight!

I'm so glad I rescued them!

Thanks Everyone!
Christine
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »

you can have a blood test ran to see if they are pregnant or not..but other than that, a sonogram/ultra sound is about the only other way, unless you just wait it out and see. 

got yourself some good exercises today huh? hahaha.  Pygmy Rodeo!  Grin Grin

~ Birdie ~
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 05:05:56 PM »

Oh and then the older kids came home and they were running around not listening too!

I couldn't get them in their pen, and they kept hanging out on the porch, so a gentle stream of water convinced them they ought not spend the day there.

Roll Eyes

I do have a heart beat doppler for humans, but I don't think I can figure that one out. I would probably just pick up their own heart beat, even if they were pregnant. I guess only time will tell.

Is it ok to have their pens right next to each other, (buck and does) or will that drive them crazy missing each other?
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »

Pic!  laugh
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »

They like the cellar doors, garbage cans on their sides and even are going down the slide with Chloe and Felicity. We are renaming the buck Pegasus!
goat fever
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 09:54:37 PM »

They are adorable.  I love the buckskin colored one.

Proudly owned by herd of little angels.  I raise fainting goats and mini silky fainting goats.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 05:44:41 AM »

oh you have yourself a beautiful caramel pygmy there!!  They are the heart throbs of my goatie love..they melt me away like butter on a hot tin roof!  Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous goaties.  I love them every one!

Putting the buck fencing right next to the Does can be risky..when they come in season the buck will rut right threw the fence, so you might space that fence about 10 to 20 feet away from the girls fence, but yet where they can still see each other.  Get your buck boy a wether companion, that will really help keep him from being lonely.  And if these guys are related you might consider getting this buck boy wethered, because you can't breed him to these girls.  Bucks do not make good pets, so if you want him as a pet, you'll want to have him wethered.  He's too old to band, so he'll have to be surgically castrated.  Do it under the Farmers Almanac so that he heals faster, and does better..it's best to wether them when the temp's are cool or cold outdoors..that way you don't battle flies and gnats and insects on it.  Less swelling as well.  But be sure to do it by the Almanac when the blood is in the hooves.

~ Birdie ~
GoatGurl
Bottle Babies

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 07:07:02 AM »

I don't think they are related, but I will ask him. I don't think he would have bought them as breeders if they were brother and sister. I think he purchased them at the same age, same time, except the older female. What is the other color variations of the smaller female and buck, can you tell from the pictures?

I think I will find him another herd if I have to wether him and also, I already told everyone, no more LOL. I always said I wouldn't get a buck, of any size, but I guess since they were already a mini herd, he tugged on my heart strings. I also figured because he is a pygmy, I can manage him a little better than a big aggressive buck!

I am a push over, LOL.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: