HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 07:23:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19521 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Looking at a fiber doe tomorrow!
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Looking at a fiber doe tomorrow!  (Read 4077 times)
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:32 PM »

I've been doing my research on angora goats ever since NAILE (North American International Livestock Exposition) in Louisville.  I met some wonderful ladies there who were spinning.  We got to talking about the craft of spinning and angora goats.  I've considered angoras before, but really had no need for one.  One of the ladies has a few does for sale.  I think I'm going tomorrow to look at one. 

Any suggestions on what I should look for?  She raises them for fiber for herself and for sale.  I know she takes excellent care of them, but I'd still like to know what to look for or avoid.

Thanks.

God is good!
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »

I would say to check for the fleece, but if you don't know what you are looking for, ti is hard.

The fleece should have nice locks.  It really depends on what you what to do with the fleece.  I have helps people show their Angora goats at shows.  The  judge said they were great "doll" fleece.  It was the best fleece he had seen for the use of doll hair.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Candace
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:22:21 AM »

Feel, go by feel, you want it to feel like silk. Also, the fleeces shouldn't hold a lot of dirt, that would mean allot of oil, You want to look for straight hairs sticking out at the spine, if they have them then that's oh, I can't remember what it's called, but they don't spin good and you don't want allot of that in your fiber.
I don't care if they have face coverage, actually prefer them to not, but biggest thing is feel of the hair.

From having goats, you know what a structurally sound goat should be, so with the hair, you have to get hands on, you don't want them to feel like a bristle brush, close your eyes and imagine the hair against your skin.....

Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:35:49 PM »

Well, I bought her!  I can't post a picture because our computer isn't working correctly now.  But I will once I can get it going.

I read your advice, Candace, about feeling the hair and making sure it wasn't too dirty.  Well, let me tell you, we've had nothing but rain for DAYS and she doesn't look too clean.  The lady I'm buying her from does her own work "from sheep to shawl" as they say, so I trust her word.  She's also made herself very available and goes above and beyond to share her knowledge, so I don't feel like she'd lead me astray. 

I haven't brought my doe home yet because I just picked her out and the buck I want her bred to.  I'll be getting her about the first of the year.  Hopefully by then I will be able to get pictures posted of her. 

I'm so anxious to get her home.  I intend to put her in with our pygmy wether (no horns) because he's fat and lazy.  Will that combination work OK?  All my goats have no horns except her.  Hers curl backwards though, so I don't think she will be able to poke anyone if butting heads when I do feel they are ready to be put together.

God is good!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 05:54:10 AM »

Congratulations Sindy!!  I'm real happy for you.  If you can email me a picture, either from your cell phone or your home PC, or maybe even your work PC..then I can post it for you if you want to.  Can't wait to see this lil' beauty, and who she's bred too.  Take a poll to see what color you'll get!! hahaha.  Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Candace
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:08:52 AM »

*lol Mud is one thing, what I was talking about is like one doe I saw, it had been dry and blowing, and she was covered in the dirt and it stuck to her....Her fleece was super oily...sounds like you fund a good one; breeder and goat!

Cant wait to see her pic, and for the most part, Angoras are sweet tempered, I've only had one that was cranky.....So she should get on with anyone, even with the horns.
Togepi
Goat Genius

Mid Coast Maine

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 02:24:10 AM »

Congrats!  I think they are just so pretty!  What color is she?
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »

She's white.  I'm having her bred to a brown (not like a dark chocolate, but lighter) buck.  Pam, the owner, said she never knows what colors the babies will be.  She can breed a white doe to a brown buck and get white kids, and then turn around and breed a white doe and white buck and get a colored kid.  I chose the brown buck thinking at least I might stand more of a chance of getting a colored.  I saw some of his little doelings from this spring.  Some are white and some are brown.  One little wether she kept out of him is as chocolate as can be; he is really beautiful. 

I'll do a little work today and see if I can get some pictures loaded.  Thanks for offering to post them for me Pam, but I live in the stoneage and don't have a fancy phone that sends pictures.  It has the capability, but I hate all those junk texts that contain the pictures that you are supposed to send to all your 'friends.'  So I don't have that turned on on my phone. 

If I can't get it figured out, I'll put a link to her website and you can see her animals.

God is good!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:15:10 AM »

Well, we had that same issue in our Kiko's too Sindy...I bred Roady to a beautiful tri colored Doe, and Roady being tri colored as well and guess what I got?  I got a alpined marked/colored Kiko Doeling!! hahahaha.  I wanted that tri color with blue eyes!!  It's like a box of chocolates..you never know what you're gonna get!!  Grin Grin  I think this "white" color genetic is dominant in these goats.  I bred Roady to Cinnamon, a Cinnamon Red colored Doe and got a tri colored kid..oh yeah he was gorgeous...I bred Roady to a solid white Doe and got a solid white, a Blonde, and a Tri colored out of that Doe and the bad part, was they were ALL BUCKLINGS!! hahaha.  You just never know what you're gonna get from them.

~ Birdie ~
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:17:21 AM »

Not sure how to post her web link, but her web address is

www.rrfiberfarm.com

p.s. Told you I live in the stoneage, and I like it like that.  I just know enough to get by. Roll Eyes

God is good!
Candace
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:24:24 AM »

OK, here is one thing with colored, if you breed a red/brown factored goat to a red/brown/black factored goat, you will ALWAYS get white kids. So if you have a colored doe that you always get white kids from, that is why.
Most breeders will then think "oh it's just white" and throw it away basically. But once you have all those genes in the white girl, you can get ay color or breed it to any color.
Also, the "white angora" that is white to white, the regular Texas Whites, their white is a cream color....But, whites from Colored stock are snow stark white. You'll see that once you wash her fiber, and you might even see it now! My White girl bred to a red buck, gave me red and blacks.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 07:31:54 AM »

the link worked Sindy...they are absolutely adorable babies and the goats she has, are beautiful.  I can't hardly resist the Angora's..especially when they are babies...I turn to mush and melt like butter on a hot tin roof!! 

~ Birdie ~
Candace
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 07:48:35 AM »

Yeah, those lil curly hairy imps... lol Very very cute! She has shetland and finns too! KEWL!
You are going to have so much fun with her! Can't wait to see her!
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:57 AM »

Thanks for your imput, Candace.  I know you know a lot about Angoras.  Sounds like I stand a better chance of getting a colored than if I had a colored doe.  I agree those babies are cute as a pin.  I can't wait to get my own.  That means my house will be getting messier because I'll just want to spend more time in the barn.

She has 50 sheep and 30 angora goats.  But she's getting rid of the Shetlands.  She said she can't make any money off of them because she sells them for $250-$300 and there's another local breeder, who must be huge, and they sell them for $100.  She just doesn't have a market anymore.  She said she also like to spin and work with the Finn wool better.

I've told her about this website because she would fit in just great with everyone here, but she is so busy with all her animals and works a part time job right now so she can set up her "spinning/weaving" shop.  She has had it set up for a year now but said she wants to pay cash for anything else she's needing to add.  Can't say as I blame her.  She sells her own yarn she's spun, spinning wheels, carders, roving, and about anything you would need for spinning.  I was like a kid in a NEW candy shop when I went there on Monday.  I'm so hungry to learn all of this and felt I kept her way too long with all my questions and our discussions of goats.  We talked for hours, but you know how that is when we talk goats.  She didn't act like I was putting her out at all and was very knowledgable and sweet. 

God is good!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 08:39:26 AM »

Now that is a lady to admire!!  A stranger..paying it forward..her knowledge, her passion, shared with others..that's what God expects of us...Kindness knows no bounds, when the Lord is working in your heart and life! 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: