HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 10:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20238 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sulfur block?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Sulfur block?  (Read 14478 times)
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:28 AM »

This question is probably for Candace.  Do you know why I would need to add a sulfur block in my goat pen? 

When I picked up my Angora doe, Pam had a sulfur block in with her goats.  I asked her and she said others had told her she needed it.  She may have even told me why, but I've forgotten and hate to call her with such a silly question after she told me once already. 

And is it OK to have out with my dairy does?

God is good!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »

I've heard tales about Sulphur blocking the absorption of copper...however, our water well back home in AR had sulphur in it...didn't bother my goats at all...our copper levels were on the lower medium range...my mineral had to be adjusted to compensate the copper amount, but that's all I had to do..I didn't have to bolus or give added copper to any one.  That's the only thing I know, and the blocks might be a tad different..I don't know any thing about the blocks. I do know that sulphur keeps lice/mites, and nasty bugs at bay...it penetrates an odor through the skin, and bugs do not like that.

~ Birdie ~
Ace
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 08:56:31 AM »

From what I've read, the only purpose to add sulfur blocks to animals is that the claim is it helps keep pests (lice, mites, ticks, flies, etc.) away.  These blocks do not have selenium in them. 

Their feed and loose minerals should have adequate sulfur to take care of their dietary needs.   Smiley

Candace will probably give you the answer you need to hear....just wanted to share with you the 2 cents worth that I know   tongue
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:08:03 AM »

Oh, the insect repellent idea is a good one.  Where's Candace when we need her?  (Just kidding, I'm not in a real hurry.  Was just thinking about it at the moment and wanted to ask before I forgot again.  Seems like most things slip my mind.)

God is good!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »

If that's the case then I might be looking at putting out sulfur blocks this spring too!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Candace
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »

In and out,   laugh but, honestly I have never heard of that. I treat for lice in the pits with what they usually put down the backs, different ones, brain fog right now....but, when I shear I treat for lice,  and don't have issues. I put out mineral, give them grain. I have always treated them the same as my milkers, the milkers produce milk extra and the angora produce hair extra. So I've always been told to give them the same extras I give the milkers.
ShellyC
Goataholic

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »

Sulfur in general is a great insect repellent. My husband's aunt had strong sulphur water and her dogs or cats never had fleas or ticks, her vegetable garden never had bugs, she never even had mosquitos.
That started me years ago buying sulfur and using it at the beginning of spring, just like tick granules and very seldom after using it would I see a tick or a flea. Although you have to re-do it every time it rains.

My horse one year had flies horribly, nothing was working, I asked the vet if it would hurt her to dust her with sulfur, he had never been posed that question before but said he didn't see how it would hurt. So I did that and bought her a sulphur salt block, although it didn't get rid of 100% of the flies it did dramatically cut down the number.

It stinks but it works. It's getting harder and harder though to find the bags of sulfur around here and last year I couldn't find it at all. All of the small feed stores are being run out of business by TSC, Atwoods and Orscheln and they don't carry it and all looked at me like I was nuts when I asked them if they could order it.
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »

She said she got her sulfur block from a local TSC here in Indiana.  But I've asked at 2 around me and none carry them as well as other farm stores.  I even asked my feed mill and she said they don't have them either.

Guess if I really need to know why she has them, I should just call and ask her. 

God is good!
ShellyC
Goataholic

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 03:54:46 PM »

They usually don't put the sulfur blocks out here at TSC until spring, but they are a salt block w/sulfur, yellow in color.

The only benefit I know of using one though is for insect control.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 04:46:16 AM »

no, no...Sindy do not feed the yellow rabon blocks to goats...those are deadly...they have the insect control in them and that's toxic to goats....they are made for cattle..not for goats.  Remember the GB member that fed them and lost 7 head of goats when the forum first opened?  Don't do that Sindy.  TSC lists a sulphur block that is a whitish yellow color...called the American Stockman Sulphur Salt Block...every time I click on it to get the ingredients it doesn't display it....check those ingredients real well..since this is a cattle block, there are numerous ingredients that are highly toxic to goats but safe for cattle, just make sure none of them are in that.

~ Birdie ~
ShellyC
Goataholic

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »

Birdie, the rabon block you're talking about around here is brown. The yellow block is sulfur and salt only. I don't know if different areas have different things, but I know for a fact here the yellow block only contains sulfur and salt. The brown block contains rabon. It is also toxic to chickens. When we had the horse I bought one because someone recommended it and the chickens pecked on it and it killed them.

Here is a picture of the rabon block they put on the shelves here.

Here is the picture they have online of the sulfur block, but it's a brighter yellow in person.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »

there are bright, bright yellow rabon blocks...and those are toxic to goats.  The brown one is more popular, but there are bright yellow rabon blocks.  I think the brown blocks should be marked "Cattle only" or even removed from the shelves...it's very easy to confuse the two with the red mineral block safe for all livestock, and this rabon brown block.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:30:37 AM »

We have the same around here, the Rabon blocks are that dirt brown color. I'll have to see if TSC carries the sulfur blocks in my neck of the woods. I've never seen them on the shelves anywhere, just the white, red and blue.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Milk n Cookies
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 07:17:46 PM »

The block she had was a yellow one, but not the bright yellow.  She said it was sulfur and salt, so I'm sure it wasn't the rabon one.  I'll make sure if I ever find one, I'll check the ingredients.

Thanks for the advice.

God is good!
taelir
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 09:22:04 PM »

Well shoot, you guys had me curious so I went and looked! The second one Shelly posted a photo of lists the ingredients as salt, sulfur, and yellow #5. I was able to zoom in really closely on TSC's image Smiley

We haven't used sulfur blocks but the lice and insects are AWFUL around here so now I'm seriously considering giving it a shot. Our feeder cattle are a hot mess right now with lice - I've been looking into preventatives for the goats, but might have to ask the hubby if he's tried this before.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: