HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19532 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Sulfur block?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Sulfur block?  (Read 14668 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 06:50:29 AM »

try prozap from Jeffers...you can use that on your goats (ask Candace first with angora goats...because it might be a royal mess with that breed) and your cattle...large breed adult goats, about 1 ounce down the spine going backwards against the hair.  This is oil based so it will not wash off and lasts 3 weeks before reapplying.  Cattle..follow the directions on the label..it works fantastic! 

Also Ivomec, Ivermectrin products also kills lice and mites, so if it's worming time for you all, try using Ivomec, and you can use an Ivomec pour on with your cattle.  Ivomec Injectable (given orally to goats at the dose of 1cc per 50 pounds of body weight, redosed in 14 days) or Ivermectrin Horse paste wormer for you goats, redosed in 14 days.

~ Birdie ~
taelir
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »

Yeah, I'd read about the prozap somewhere else - definitely need to look into that also.

Our cattle are already poured, which is what's so frustrating - the lice seem to be really bad this year! I think we're going to try sulfur blocks as another cheap option.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 02:14:48 PM »

You can also go to the plant nursery section of a store and get some Sevin.  It's a plant debugger and you just dust the goats with it.  It will take care of the lice and is cheaper than some of the pour ons. 
I won't use pour on on our goats because they can take the fur right off the spinal column.  Cows have thicker skin than goats do so you need to be very cautious with pour on with goats!!
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 02:25:05 PM »

I have a sulfer block out and I NEVER have a insect problem at all. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »

You can also go to the plant nursery section of a store and get some Sevin.  It's a plant debugger and you just dust the goats with it.  It will take care of the lice and is cheaper than some of the pour ons. 
I won't use pour on on our goats because they can take the fur right off the spinal column.  Cows have thicker skin than goats do so you need to be very cautious with pour on with goats!!

No Sally they don't take the fur off of goats...not prozap, backside plus or cylence...I have to differ with you there...there are a lot of folks in this forum using these products, so not only was my goats not hurt by it, but neither are their goats being harmed by it.  Rarely there is one that might have an allergic reaction to it, but I've only known of ONE goat in 12 yrs of using this product have an allergic reaction to it. 

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »

Sorry---but I do know a couple of breeders who had this happen.  One is a really good friend and she absolutely paniced when it happened.  So----yes it can happen.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 03:24:01 PM »

I suppose there would be as many for it as against it..but for me..it worked beautifully and caused no harm in any of my goats, from males to females, babies to adults.  Not one of those 3 products hurt my goats or my dogs.

~ Birdie ~
taelir
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:13 PM »

I have a sulfer block out and I NEVER have a insect problem at all. 

Glad to know that it's working for others! I know I would personally rather use natural remedies like a sulfur block when possible, and hearing of success with others helps a lot. I don't have anything against western medication, and will gladly use it when needed, but I like trying the natural stuff first Smiley
Ace
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »

:agree  taelir!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »

Different animals react differently to things. Most goats are ok with the pesticides but some are sensitive to it and will lose their hair.

I'm going to try the sulfur. I would love to use methods like that over pesticides any day!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Candace
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 07:29:32 PM »

Usually it's dh who buys what we use on the goats, I'll have to look, but yes, you can put it on the spine, but problem is, if you shear shrotly after you have a mess. So, we usually shear and put it on the spine, if it's between shearing, then you can actually apply it in the pits.

Ya know, I've heard about the sulfur before, and thought at one time I'd try it, then poof, it went out of my brain. lol I might give that a try this year...can't hurt, and I did hear about people having success with it....

Also, I have used the Sevin, down the spine, it works, but DO NOT EVER use the DE on them, it cuts the fiber and the fiber wil loose it's gloss...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2012, 05:34:10 AM »

The sulphur we had in our water back home was awful strong...all our livestock had to drink it...we didn't drink it in the house, but we did shower, cook (you can cook sulphur out of the water), clean, wash laundry, and so forth with it, and after we showered it in, we didn't so much as get a mosquito bite.  Never got ticks or chiggers either.  Nor did our animals...we just didn't have issues with it.  However, in the winter months when the sulphur was low in the water well, we did have some issues with lice/mites...Sulphur will NOT stop them all...

The blocks are only good "IF" they eat them...and as I said before, you won't stop all the bugs you'll still treat for them.

~ Birdie ~
Candace
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 09:03:33 AM »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, I was going to put it out to see if it helps; but I wouldn't count on it 100%
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »

Well, being surrounded by neighbors, and spending more money that I want to on insect repellant, the sulfur is sure worth a try! All those chemicals can't be good for them, or me because I always manage to get covered with it too! Roll Eyes

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: