HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:18:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  My goats teets.
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: My goats teets.  (Read 2258 times)
kristina
Bottle Babies

« on: February 08, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »

I have a little pygmy mix, her name is Molly, she is 18 months old.  She is my first goat.  I've noticed that her teets have suddenly become big and swollen. Her udder appears to be normal size.  I'm pretty sure she is not pregnant, her belly is still nice and slender.   Her friends who are around the same age don't seem to have this happening to them.  Anyone have any ideas why this is?
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

Can you post a pic of her teats?
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »

What does she have as a friend?  I know some goats get a precous ( sp)  utter. Has she ever been with a buck?
  It would be good if possible to get a picture?

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »

Do they look chapped? Bruised? Could one of the other goats be sucking on them?

Is the udder flat or is there some shape to it? If it were mastitis or the like, the udder would be involved because that's where mastitis is.

How long have they been like this? If only a couple of days, could she be in heat and have a hormonal surge that caused it?

Is her temperature normal? Do you have grass and fresh new browse in your area yet?  Most new grasses and leaves contain a higher amount of estrogen like substances in the early spring which could cause udder and teat changes.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 12:20:32 AM by dragonlair » Logged

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »

She may just be laying on her utter the wrong way..causing just a tad of swelling in the teats.  A body temp will tell all...if it's normal I wouldn't worry too much, count it as hormones...if she has an elevated body temp (over 103.0) then I'd investigate it further. 

~ Birdie ~
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:53 AM »

yup I can vouch for the precocious udder, Tamara had that last yr as alot will remember, that there udder was a good un but 10 months later NO show, so I guess not pregnant lol

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: