HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:08:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Question about Kinders, and miniatures in general.
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Question about Kinders, and miniatures in general.  (Read 3411 times)
FlatLakeFarmers
Caprine Guru

Northern Alberta

« on: April 03, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »

Hello everyone. I received this message from a person on a different forum, here in Canada, and am so confused by the message. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I don't breed Nubians, so I think she was confused by one of the pictures I have posted. Is she accurate with her information? It seems a bit odd to me, but I honestly don't know anything about miniature goats; that's why I've come to you guys  Smiley

Any help would be appreciated.

"Hello I have a pygmy nanny that I want to breed
in the fall she is really beautiful and I want her to
have a really special baby. I have a kinder goat it is a
cross between a father Nigerien and a mother Nubian I really like her and
her milk. So I want to breed my little pygmy nanny with a
bigger goat. To make a mini Nubian its a cross between a
Pygmy or Nigerien mother and a Nubian father. Do you have any pure bred Nubian billy goats with nice color or something
more in the milking line like a Nubian cross Sannen.
I use to have a cross like that she was my favorite
I loved her she had dwarfism so she was small.
I only raise mini goat breeds because large ones can jump my fence. I like large cross breeds with small. Also
if you ever get a goat kid that is much smaller than the
other goat kids it most likely has dwarfism if you ever get some think like that let me know it is a 2% chance, I don't think I will ever get another goat like her but you never know I always keep and looking. Well if you have an billy that I could breed with my little pygmy doe in fall that will be awesome even if he is a younger buck would be great.
thank you"

We have 26 Does, 2 Bucks, and 30 kids at the moment; it's a happy place Smiley
www.flatlakegoats.webs.com
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 09:55:58 AM »

for one you're NOT going to put a large breed buck on any mini breed...that's a huge no-no unless she wants to loose that Doe when she gives birth.

the kinder is "ify" at best if I'd even put that on a large breed buck.  Tracy just had real good luck, but again, "luck" is the word...it doesn't always happen that way..

my rule of thumb is, if it has any type of "mini" in the breeding of the Doe, then I stay with "mini" bucks.

Educate your friend, or she might just have the most horrifying event happen at kidding. 

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:57:46 AM »

What you want to reply to her  is:  she should never breed a small doe to a large buck.  It is always done the other way round so that the doe isn't torn to pieces by a large kid.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:38:59 AM »

And a kinder is only a cross between a Pygmy and a Nubian-not a dwarf. To be registered, both parents have to be registered with their breed registry. Kinder is a registered trade mark for the breed, owned by the original breeder. Unless they are registered with the Kinder goat association, they can't legally be called Kinders.

Dwarfism is a genetic screwup and should not be confused with Nigerian Dwarfs. A true dwarf has medical issues on top of being stunted and should never be bred. To breed a dwarfed animal is showing total disregard for the breed, or species in general, and is being a totally irresponsible goat owner.

A cross between a full sized dairy goat and a Nigerian dwarf are called Mini ------------, what ever the full sized breed was- Mini Mancha, Mini Alpine etc.  To be called a Mini, a pygmy can not be part of the breeding, at least with dairy animals. Pygs are not considered a dairy breed.

Since her doe is probably not registered, and therefore the offspring wouldn't be a Kinder anyway, tell her to find a Mini Nubian buck to breed her Pygmy to.

This person sounds like she really doesn't know what she is doing. I would seriously hesitate doing business with her unless she was open to suggestions and wanted to learn.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
FlatLakeFarmers
Caprine Guru

Northern Alberta

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:37 PM »

Thank you for your responses!

I have no intention of doing any business with this person, and have in fact never spoken with this person before; this message just appeared in my inbox yesterday.
I automatically thought that she was making a poor choice by wanting to breed a mini goat to a full sized buck, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't the only one who thought that was a bad idea.
I will be passing on this information to her as I feel that she needs to know this before she breeds something that shouldn't be bred, or ends up with an injured or dead doe.

Thanks again for the help  Smiley

We have 26 Does, 2 Bucks, and 30 kids at the moment; it's a happy place Smiley
www.flatlakegoats.webs.com
Ace
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

Cheesy  Wow....I'm dizzy just reading what she wrote   tongue
I'm wondering, too, if she isn't confused in that a cross needs to be made between a Pygmy/Nigerian doe with a Nubian buck?  It should be the other way around.
Glad you're there to help her and she came to you for advice, FLF   Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: