HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:14:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  vinegar for your goats?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: vinegar for your goats?  (Read 11518 times)
kids 4 my kids
Bottle Babies

« on: May 17, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

I was reading some posts and vinegar being set out for the goats(mini wethers) was mentioned.Is this vinegar out for them to drink as needed or is it added to their water.What are all the benefits?What kind of vinegar and how much? Huh?
Ace
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:44:50 PM »

Yes, it's apple cider vinegar added to the water for the goats to drink.   Smiley  Some offer plain water along with a bucket of water with the ACV added to it.  Benefits for wethers....it's used as a preventitive for urinary calculi.  Also, it is said to help keep flies/bugs from bothering the goats.  Personally, I add about 1/4 to 1/2 c to a five gallon bucket.  Others can let you know the amounts that they use. 
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »

It is used as a preventative for all the goats.  Don't forget that it is possible for does and bucks as well as wethers (kids too) to get UC.  It is an acid in the system and will help disolve the stones as well as keeping the water fresh in the summer and helping with bugs, etc. also.  I use a 1/4 cup to 5 gallons of water. 
kids 4 my kids
Bottle Babies

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »

Thank you so much!!!Wow this is my first forum ever and y'all have been so wonderful to answer all my questions and made me feel quite welcome!Thanks again Roll Eyes!!!Quick question for future reference:Will the vinegar water sour or change the taste of their milk? Huh?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »

It shouldn't.  You aren't using that much vinegar in the water so there shouldn't e any problem.  I know some people put two buckets out==one for vinegar water and one plain water.  To my way of thinking==that isn't necessary.  If they are thirsty, they will drink.  Just don't overdo the vinegar ratio. 
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »

ACV also keeps the algae and mosquito larvae from developing in the animals water. I use it in the summer months in the horse and goats water tubs.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Wildflower
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »

Is it ok for chickens to drink as well.  My animals all run together.

Medical Lake, Spokane Washington area
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »

Is it ok for chickens to drink as well.  My animals all run together.

You bethcha! When I remember to, I put it in chicken fount too, LGDs drink goat ACV water as well.
evernfales
Bottle Babies

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 08:16:28 AM »

Braggs is best raw unfiltered  not pasureised don't buy it in grosery store that vinegar is daed wont do any good dont have to use much I put about a table spoon to a gal
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 07:27:19 PM »

It depends on what you want to use the ACV for. The "live" ACV with the mother culture still in it adds bacteria and such to the animals system, so it's another form is probiotics.

For UC prevention and to keep the algae and mosquitos from contaminating the water, store bought ACV is fine.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 06:17:08 AM »

It depends on what you want to use the ACV for. The "live" ACV with the mother culture still in it adds bacteria and such to the animals system, so it's another form is probiotics.

For UC prevention and to keep the algae and mosquitos from contaminating the water, store bought ACV is fine.

I can totally agree with Dragon on this...we've used ACV for years in water troughs in the summer months...Cattle water troughs are huge and emptied less often than our goats water troughs (being that they are more shallow or they are bucket waterers)...ACV tends to get the animals to drink more as they really seem to like the taste of it, as well as the algae that grows in those tanks, causes other issues such as Liver Flukes or Ecoli...so yes, I totally agree with Dragon on store bought ACV. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
moonspinner
Caprine Guru

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »

I had no idea there was a difference in store bought ACV. Learn so much here.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 11:19:42 AM »

The "live" ACV is found in the health food section, whereas the pasteurized "dead" ACV is found usually with the salad dressings, mayo and such.

evernfales
Bottle Babies

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54:42 PM »

in Cody Wy they are selling Brags in in Albertson a grocery store good for them
cbdale
Caprine Guru

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 07:18:53 AM »

There is excellent info on Google, about Apple Cider Vinegar.  The Bragg's is best, which contains 'Mother",
which is all natural, and contains many vitamins/minerals, that have not been processed out.  You will notice a difference with this ACV vs processed, ACV on the grocery shelves.  I buy in gallons, and I noticed in Ingles, that they were carrying gallons of a brand ACV, that contained the 'Mother' as well. If the product only states it is Apple Cider Vinegar, it is not the correct one. The 'Mother' will be cloudy, and not clear.
  The regular ACV, has many uses; however, it is mostly processed Acetic Acid.  The Bragg's brand with Mother, is also great for human use.  I only recommend the Bragg's with Mother, for all uses of Apple Cider Vinegar, which has all natural ingredients, and will show improvements in your stock/dogs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: