HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19532 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Starting a new herd
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Starting a new herd  (Read 3353 times)
aly429
Bottle Babies

Bronco and Scout!

« on: May 18, 2012, 10:18:16 PM »

So today, my husband an I put a deposit on a herd of 8 cashmere goats (new pictures hopefully to follow shortly).  We are very excited, and I am looking forward to getting to know our new group!  So I guess my question is...If you could do it all over again what would you do?  Or what was the best decisions you made when you were starting out with your cashmere herd?

Any info you can provide to someone just starting out would be greatly appreciated. 
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 03:46:41 AM »

OH yes, if I were younger I would have some Fiber goats in with my herd and learn about shearing and spinning and all that stuff. Congrats on your new goaties and looking foreward to pictures.
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:38:38 AM »

We have a cashmere breeder here in the forum...she's a moderator in fact...Sweetgoats can help you with a lot of your questions regarding your new herd. 

We'll anxiously wait to see your new additions, and drool over your pictures!!  I've always wanted a fiber goat, but was leery of not having enough knowledge about them to do right by them...their hair coats do require more knowledge than I posses of it.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

Birdie, if you want one get one when you're back at your farm, get 1 or 2! It wouldn't take much for you to learn how to properly care for them.  Add 1 or 2 of those cute little boogers to your herd of Kikos, Pygmies, Nigerians and whatever else you want. Remember, variety is the spice of life!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
taelir
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »

Hi and welcome! I can't wait to see pics of the new kiddos Smiley

I have four cashmeres (three of which are from our own sweetgoats here), and could not be happier with them! They're such easy keepers (well, aside from caring for the fiber). I think my only regret is not getting them sooner. I did a lot of reading before deciding on cashmeres over angoras. Just do a lot of reading on what works best for people as far as feed is concerned - fiber goats are a little different than some breeds because you're feeding the fiber as well as feeding the animal. I'm sure that sounds sillly, but it's true. And watch a bunch of videos on how to comb them before doing it your first time - it helps a ton! I was definitely nervous about wrecking the fiber the first time I did it (please, sweetgoats, tell me if I messed it up bad! LOL) but it got easier as I went on. You learn pretty quick when the fleece is really ready to come off Smiley

I don't have any advice on fiber processing yet, but that's because I need to find a mill that'll comb it for me until I feel like I have the time to do it myself by hand. I do dehair my fleece myself, but I'm a glutton for punishment and I like sitting there watching a movie while I work. Do you spin? I'm a spinner myself, so if you ever want someone to talk fiber nerdy stuff with, let me know!

I agree with birdie that sweetgoats is pretty much the best resource around when it comes to the cashmeres. Girl seriously knows her stuff, and is one of the kindest people I've met.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:08 PM »

Welcome Aly! You betcha Lori has tons of knowledge & experience!
aly429
Bottle Babies

Bronco and Scout!

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:12:38 PM »

Thanks everyone!  My husband and I are working to get half of our property refenced and ready for the new goats, so that we can go and get them!  Can't wait though I would be happy to be done with the fencing already  Smiley

Can't wait to get pictures up. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 06:56:04 AM »

Birdie, if you want one get one when you're back at your farm, get 1 or 2! It wouldn't take much for you to learn how to properly care for them.  Add 1 or 2 of those cute little boogers to your herd of Kikos, Pygmies, Nigerians and whatever else you want. Remember, variety is the spice of life!

Dragon, I watch every post of Lori's and Candace's when it comes to these fiber goats..I try to pay very close attention to them and I listen to their every word when it comes to keeping lice/mites off them, because they can't use the prozap on them, as it would cause issue with the fiber...but you're right, variety is what I'm looking for, for our farm down here...boy I'd love to have a few of them...they are just so gorgeous!!  A steel colored one and a bright white one!! hahaha.  Salt and Pepper!  heehee.

Thanks everyone!  My husband and I are working to get half of our property refenced and ready for the new goats, so that we can go and get them!  Can't wait though I would be happy to be done with the fencing already  Smiley

Can't wait to get pictures up. 

Fencing is a chore I hate, but hate to love so to speak...when it's done, I stand back and feel proud of the work we did, and what we accomplished doing it...grateful that it's over and we made it through it...you'll be very glad when you've got it all up and it's looking good and your goaties come home.

~ Birdie ~
aly429
Bottle Babies

Bronco and Scout!

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »

imalilbirdie I do believe you are correct.  My husband and I spent two days fencing, and finally it's done!  It looks great and I'm really proud of the work we've done.  We are finally ready for the goaties to arrive...and we will picking them up on Friday!

Let the fiber adventure begin  laugh
cornerstoneboer
Goat Genius

Northern Michigan (Near Cadillac or Traverse City)

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 04:44:48 PM »

Hey where are those pictures?  Grin

Northern Michigan (Near Cadillac or Traverse City)
Boers, Kikos, Myotonics (and their crosses)
F
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »

Yep, I told Aly to come join us here.  She bought goats from a friend of mine that I sold to her. 

Please give me a call when ever you have questions.

I was going to tell you about a HUGE goat show this weekend at Estes park.  I will be leaving Thursday, the Cashmere show is on Sunday.  I hope you still have my number, if you would like call me and I can give you more details about the show.  The judge is a wonderful.  They are from Main and some of the most respected Cashmere breeders out there.  They are helping me get my judges card. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
aly429
Bottle Babies

Bronco and Scout!

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:35:10 PM »

Awesome Lori!  I think my husband and I will make our way up that way on Sunday.  We've had some interest in breeding the girls and showing, so I would love to see how all of that is done.  Anything you recommend bring for someone who is learning their way around a show?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:56 AM »

a video camera!!  Grin Grin  Far too much to take in all at one time...this way you can watch the video at home at your leisure and take notes (mentally or on paper) and learn even more that you missed while you were there. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: