HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:21:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat gets stuck in fence
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: Goat gets stuck in fence  (Read 10071 times)
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »

dont forget the dish soap and the oil help to make the vinegar stick and stay on the green stuff as well.

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Valley View
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »

Great idea about killing weeds. What is the ratio of dish soap to vinegar???
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 05:44:28 AM »

I guess this is why people get goats disbudded??? Is there another reason? Sorry, question may get us on another topic that belongs in the Vet forum.  Thanks eveyone.

No...not always...the types of fencing is important as well...I don't see this as a reason to disbud or dehorn goats at all.

~ Birdie ~
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 06:58:28 AM »

PVC pipe works well. I dont like rebar as it can hurt if the goat slings its head just right. Sticks are dangerous for the same reason. When we have to do this Al uses 1/2 inch pvc. You have to keep a check on the tape as it does get worn off. Also we dont use duct tape or electircal tape. Al gets this stuff called Nyla Braid and we get it at Staples. It has Nylon threads through it and is a little stronger than the other two. But you still have to do weekly checks.

Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 07:11:51 AM »

Our goats are disbudded because they are show goats and ADGA registered goats can not have horns.
Everyone seems to think that disbudding is terrible.  Well it isn't any worse that putting tags in ears.  The disbudding is over in 12 seconds on each side and that is the end of it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »

Our goats are disbudded because they are show goats and ADGA registered goats can not have horns.
Everyone seems to think that disbudding is terrible.  Well it isn't any worse that putting tags in ears.  The disbudding is over in 12 seconds on each side and that is the end of it.

I don't put tags in ears either, but to show you have to have the tags as well...scrapie tags are manditory all over the world.  I've had a registered ADGA Buckling who wasn't disbudded..and wasn't when I sold him, but I sold him as a wether not a buck.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »

ADGA registered dairy goats do NOT have to have tags in their ears.  The tattoos and registration cover any tags needed.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 05:57:32 PM »

ADGA will register horned goats, but you cannot show them.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 05:19:05 AM »

exactly Dragon...Buckwheat was not shown.  Never intended to show him or any of our goats. 

If you sell a goat in the U.S. you must have the scrapie tags...(I had them but didn't put them in their ears but did give the assigned tag to the new owners to do with what they wished to, if they wanted them in, they put them in, if not they didn't)...I don't care who you are, or what your raising...you must have the scrapie tags...if they are slaughter or show goats..makes no difference.  Slaughter houses will put them on/in and you'll pay for that dearly in fact.  If you're not doing it, then you're selling illegally.

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »

If they are a registered goat no they do not need them BECAUSE they are registered and they have the tracking with that. 

If they are not registered YES they have to and they really are not allowed to leave your property without a tag and no vet should do a health check without it.

I disagree with Sally on the dehorning thing.  The the dehorning only takes 12 seconds but a tag is no different that a girl getting their ears pierced.  It does not go to the brain like a hot iron does. 

I am BIG on the tags and I will not stand for a goat to be sold without a tag. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »

Funny you say that Lori...

In Missouri, Arkansas and down here in Louisiana...you have to have the scrapie tags...it's manditory, it's the law.  All our goats were registered except a few, and they all had to have the scrapie tags.  I sold numerous goats across the state lines and to even get health certificates on them I had to have the scrapie tags as well as tattoo's that were readable.

I took some "oops" boys into the slaughter sale and they every one had to have scrapie tags...I had them with me, but refused to put them in their ears, so the vet there checking the stock coming in put them in AFTER I turned and left.

I don't HATE disbudding, I don't like the tagging...I had a Doe who was tagged when I got her that about ripped her ear off from a scrapie tag...that's an awful mess...but if I had to do one of the two...it would be tagging over disbudding and I'll never dehorn any animal unless it's an absolute must.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »

Here in Minnesota the scrapie tags are mandatory too.  I don't mind tagging, but I have also had tags ripped out and it is a mess and not at all pleasant for the goat ( or sheep). I wasn't in this state but a few days before the USDA called me so that I could order my MN scrapie tags. I guess they went off my health papers that I had the vet do before we moved from MO.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 03:09:02 PM »

WOW, it is amazing how different each state is.  I am all for tagging ALL of them but that is just me.

Yes Birdie, here as well even if they are going to be butchered.  Here the rule is Bucks and Does have to be tagged, wethers only if they are 12 months and younger.  I personally do not understand the scrapies on a wether, they can not reproduce, but that is what they say so that is what I do.  lol.

Birdie, you said how horrible it is when the ear tears.  I hate that but when I got my tags (the year they came out), that is when they gave us here in CO these really cheap oblong tags.  They broke out all of the time.  I was always re tagging them but I wanted to do that instead of using the new tags they give you now, but they did just send me 100 of them in the mail, and told me to destroy the old tags and use the new ones.  lol, no more kids here so that was a waste of money for them.  They had been after me for years to get the new ones and I just did not want them, I wanted the tag to break before it tore a ear. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Earlyriser
Goataholic

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 03:45:25 AM »

Birdie, what is the mix ratio. Do you add any water and doesn't the oil and vinegar desperate?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 06:33:32 AM »

Birdie, what is the mix ratio. Do you add any water and doesn't the oil and vinegar desperate?

Uhhh...  Huh?  Not sure what mixture you're speaking of, but I'll assume it's the weed killer mixture? Is that right?  When you say vinegar and oil mixture ratio...that's the only thing I mix up with vinegar and oil is the weed/grass killer.

I use a full gallon of white Vinegar (I buy the cheap stuff at Dollar General)
I add a cup of cheap Veggie Oil (also bought at Dollar General)
I add about a 1/2 cup of Dawn Dish washing soap (I do use Dawn, and not the generic brands as they are too watered down to be affective)

Yes, you do have to shake it up every now and then and yes the oil will separate but the Dawn won't.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: