HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:12:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Hello Question About A 10 Year Old Doe Nigerian
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Hello Question About A 10 Year Old Doe Nigerian  (Read 2362 times)
Dairy Goat Lovers
Bottle Babies

« on: June 04, 2012, 10:41:18 PM »

Hello I have a question I had a 10 Year old Nigerian Dwarf Doe Named Blossom she was born March,22,2002 And I got her on April,06,2002 . A week or so ago she started to look like she was just a bit puffy looking this is nothing new so has looked a bit puffy her whole life we always have given 2 gas-x a day and that worked and she goes down a little. Any way she got 5 gas-x that night and it did not help and she also was a bit off her food she did not finish her grain that night so that why we gave the gas-x but it did not help so we took her to the vet at 10:00pm on may 29 2012 and took her temp and it was normal her belly was quiet not much activity. so she got tubed in the nose to see if gas came out but none did so she gave milk of maganisme in her nose tubed to see if it would help her belly. hear heart rate was elavated so she got 1/2 cc of banamine and a little sedative it seemed to help her calm down a little. she came home and the next day we took her to our regalure vet and he checked her listened to her belly and lungs and checked her temp it was normal. her belly was still quiet so he tubed her in the mouth and gave her caramax soulition to see if she would go potty because we never saw her pee or poop for around 2 days. he took some blood. she weighed 65 pounds. took her home cleaned her pen seperated her from her twin sister Snowbelle who weighs 72 pounds , we marked her water to see if she drank any water and she at blackberry leaves and rose leaves and also baby carrots and a bit of grass because the vet said no hayse she had a blockage in her colon. this way may 30 2012 . so the next morning may 31 2012 she had
pooped some it looked okay so we called the vet for blood test results and her blood was out o whack so he said we had to take her to pilchuck vet to have iv fuilds and be monitered 24 hours so we got there took her in and they checked her out at this point still no peeing so they did an ultrasound and it showed fuild in her belly so they did a belly tap and the fuild was blood tinged and smelled bad normal color should be straw color looking . they redrew blood ,the fuild from belly seemed to be urine so they gave her valuim and took 1 or more liters out of her belly the said it was urine so we and they said needed to operate on her and see what was wrong with bladder her patuism levels were dangeroulsy high so they could not operate that night so they gave her fuilds and did the surgery on June,01,2012 they called and said her bladder had burst and could do nothing to fix her so i had to put her down they said a urniary stone did not do it but she had a lot of bad looking tissue very thick looking . our regualr vet in 40+ years of being a vet have never heard of this in a doe neither had pilchuck vet both of them have in a buck or wether but never a doe. ...oh and she was never breed even once and never sick a day in her life except for an ocunaly cold or eye infection

so sorry for this being so long but i would like to know if any of you had heard of this happening in a doe

again thanks for reading and replying sorry it is so long but i wanted to tell you all everything looking forward to hearing your thought

{{{Animals are Gods gift to us so we all can have a friend to love , hold, cherish and talk to in good times and bad}}}
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 05:39:57 AM »

I am so very sorry to hear of this and the loss of your goat.  That's an awful way to pass.  You did the right thing by having her put down, as there is no repair for what happened to her.

She could have had a weak spot in her bladder that ruptured, or she could have had some type of bladder cancer.  She was of the age where they start showing issues with their bodies and weight management. 

Not to say that I've ever seen this with my own eyes, I haven't, but I have heard of Does with Bladder/ UTI's..it doesn't always have to be a stone that causes issue.  An untreated UTI would have caused this same thing to happen.  An untreated bladder infection would have caused it also.

When we're giving a lot of Gas-X or baking soda to remedy what appears to be bloat going on with a goat, and in your case it sounds like it was on going, or appeared as such, this causes issue inside the stomach as well...weakening the stomach, bladder or urinary tract walls.  When an on going issue is there, we need to find out why.  Sounds to me like she was maybe born this way, with a weak wall maybe in all three areas.  Not large enough to do a lot of damage but never healing either up until recently.

It's one of those things that you gave her a really good life, loved her and cared for her.  And it was her time to go, so she went, knowing she was loved and cared for...a lot of animals never get that.  She's happy and healthy in heaven, waiting for the day she will meet you again.  Letting go of our good friends is never easy, and I pray the Lord to heal your sorrow and ease your pain.  Take comfort in the fact that you did all you could for her, and she suffers no more.  Again, I'm very sorry for your Loss.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 07:20:00 AM »

Sorry for your loss.  It sounds like her age caught up with her.  That's a pretty good age for a Nigi to reach.
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:50:06 AM »

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your doe.  Cry  You did a very kind, humane thing when you decided to put her down.  She knew you loved her and wouldn't let her suffer anymore.  She lived a good life and she trusted you to do the right thing.  She isn't hurting anymore.  It's so hard to lose them, especially when you have had her as long as you did, they have a way of melting your heart.  She is running free in green pastures and one day you will see her again. Smiley

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
rgbdab
Caprine Guru

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:18:41 AM »

sorry for your loss   Cry 

you did all you could and she had a good life

but I have a concern for her twin sister now that she is alone

I would keep a really close eye on her for signs of depression

Hope things get better soon

Dairy Goat Lovers
Bottle Babies

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:41:57 PM »

hey everyone thanks for all your kind words we called the farm  we got them from but they don't sell no more so got a phone number to a lady that her son was in our 4-H club in 2003 called her and it just so happened she had a yearling that she tried 3 different occasion to breed and she did not take so we got her June,02,2012  Saturday we buried Blossom on June,01,2012 Friday so anyway we called and she said she happened to have her she was born March,23,2011 our 10 yr olds were born March,22,2002 so its kind a cool she was born a day later so she said if we just wanted one for a companion she had her and she would give her to us for free she even gave us her ADGA papers her name is Sassafras she is buckskin with white markings she weighs 40 pounds and we took Snowbelle and Sassafras to the vet because Snowbelle ears were bothering her and Sassafras got checked out to and given an all clear so Snowbelle  has her now for company and is doing better

{{{Animals are Gods gift to us so we all can have a friend to love , hold, cherish and talk to in good times and bad}}}
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 06:21:27 AM »

how awesome is that!!  That's so cool!  And believe it or not, you got your new girl on what would have been my fathers 91st birthday!!  And to top that off...she carries the same name of my grand champion Arabian show horse...her name was Show Me Chisom's Sassafras Missy...aka Sassy.   Grin Grin

we need some pictures when you find time...I'll bet she's a dandy!!

~ Birdie ~
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »

Wow, how nice for you DGL!!  What a kind person to give you a companion for your other goat.  Birdie is right, we need some pictures when you get time.  Smiley

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
happyjunker
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 10:48:12 AM »

DGL, it sounds like you are a very good goat mom.  I'm sorry for your loss, it sounds like she could not be helped.  Now you have a new one to spoil and love.  Wishing a long life for her too.  Have fun!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: