HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 06:38:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44905 Posts in 3031 Topics by 816 Members
Latest Member: Jennie
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  gloopy whey
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: gloopy whey  (Read 531 times)
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« on: May 28, 2012, 03:21:45 AM »

Ok when you have a perfect set on cheese making and a perfect yoghurt made, whats the gloopyness about the yoghurt and they whey when cheese making, I have been making cheese for 3 yrs and never seen this before.
Is it a strange bacteria or something or can it do that with anything but Martas Milk??????

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Wildflower
Caprine Guru

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 12:22:08 PM »

I have been trying to make yogurt for over a year with my raw milk.  I have ended up with that boogery consistancy as well.  I even went and bought a yogurt starter from a cheese supply.....same result.  I did however try heating the milk to a scald, added a heaping tablespoon of goat dried milk after it was cooled to warm, added 1/4 cup plain yogurt and it worked much better, still a bit thin, but not that gross consisnancy.  I am going to try more powdered milk next time....will let you know if it worked.

Crest, CA (East of San Diego)
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »

Home made yogurt is usually not as thick as store bought stuff because the commercial places add thickener to the product. You can make it thicker if you add a bit of plain gelatin to it before you set it to change to yogurt from milk.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:12:31 PM »

I was wondering about that, thanks dragon

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Julie H
Goat Genius

Minnesota

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:52:46 PM »

I make yogurt for my husband using sugar free jello. I am not sure where we got the recipe but here it is if you would like to try it.  Filling 3- 1 quart jars to measure.

Heat milk to 114 degrees, remove from heat
stir in 3 oz of plain yogurt  ( after you make your own keep some back for this)
Put in clean quart jars and incubate 12 hours  ( I put mine in a small cooler with a heating pad on the bottom, turn it on every so often during the day, let it sit in cooler overnight)
Heat 1/3 cup water to boil, add plain gelatin( 2 tsp) then add 1 package jello and boil 20 seconds and remove from heat.
Put 1 1/2 quarts of yogurt in blender add jello mixture and blend.
Put in containers in fridge !

He prefers this to store bought and using jello the flavors you can make are endless. You can add fresh fruit as well.  I have never used regular jello, just sugar free.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: