HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 07:58:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Infrastructure change is complete!
Thank you for your cooperation.

Stats
22803 Posts in 1671 Topics by 837 Members
Latest Member: newmum
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Dealing with Mastitis in my Nubian
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Dealing with Mastitis in my Nubian  (Read 1138 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: June 29, 2012, 02:03:17 PM »

I do have my vet involved.  I have a heck of a time getting anything out of my doe. The best I can manage is a few chunks and a little white liquid.  I massage, bump, and milk over and over until nothing more comes out.  Her bag is hard, like a mass, but not hot, or getting any bigger, or seeming to bother her at all. She is her old spunky self and eating everything with gusto.  She has been on Penn ( shots, IM) for 8 days ( i will continue  through 10) she gets her yogurt too. Her kid is nursing on the off side and all is well there.  I know she will lose that side and I am not breeding her anymore.  Is this what happens in mastitis?  Will it eventually go down??
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »

Has your vet given you mastitis infusions that go directly into the udder? IM antibiotics are not the primary way to treat mastitis because the dose of medication that actually reaches the udder is minimal. You need it infused right up inside where the infection is.

Did the vet give you some oxytocin to help with let down? For some cases, when you can't get the milk/infection out, that is the only way to get all that crud out.

Just because a doe has mastitis does not mean she will lose that side. Most, if treated correctly, will recover and go on to have successful lactations.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 04:43:06 PM »

I know you said you are massaging and stuff, try HOT compresses, and put a little either peppermint oil, Lavender oil, or Tea Tree Oil in the water.  It will help with the let down.  I had to massage a doe like this and I had to take my cast off after I had surgery to really massage her.

It need to be done several time and sooner or later you will get more out (hopefully), and yes I totally agree with dragonlair.

I was using Tea Tree oil and then the Peppermint oil when I ran out of the Tea Tree, and the vet said to use some of the Lavender oil so I do not dry the outside up so bad. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 05:12:17 PM »

When you finish the massage/bumping/milking routine, put some peppermint or lavendar oil on the udder and leave it there.  The only way to really get that side going is to do the massage routine every couple of hours.  The oil left on creates heat which will help loosen the mastitis.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 06:16:43 AM »

you wanna cut that peppermint oil with a carrier oil..mineral oil is what I used...that stuff gets very hot..no one told me to do that and man what a mess I had but again it wasn't on a goat, it was on a adult Cat...razor blade city the second that stuff turned hot...I can only imagine how hot it gets on a goats udder.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:32:09 AM »

Don't cut it -- that will be defeating the purpose.  We have never had it burn the goat.  Cats would be an entirely different matter.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

I have been using lard with cayenne pepper. It gets hot too as my hand can tell you.  The vet said it was too hard to get anything infused in there. He will be coming out to check my cow so I will see if he can infuse antibiotics up into the udder then( i think there is more room now). I got a little more out today and it definitely has not gotten worse at least.  thanks all.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: