HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:38:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Infrastructure change is complete!
Thank you for your cooperation.

Stats
22439 Posts in 1660 Topics by 839 Members
Latest Member: ShaneB
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  I am the only sad one
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: I am the only sad one  (Read 1144 times)
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« on: June 15, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »

Cry Cry   Last night  I sold 2 of my little wether guys a Nubian / Boer  we called "Barney"    and a Boer we called " Bob"   They were named at birth after Barney Fife on Andy Griffith and Bob Newhart  on The Bob Newhart Show. Amazingly they actually resembled their name sakes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes   Bob was forever untying even my double knotted shoe laces and Barney was alway climbing up to have his little face rubbed.  The mom's could care less, but I am missing them so badly Cry Cry  At least the man who bought them took them both.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:58:12 PM by Julie H » Logged
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »

Aww, sometimes these guys leave a hole in your heart. Barney & Bob sure sounded like characters alright! Good to hear they went together though. It's so great when that happens.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:19:17 AM »

When our boys left the farm, they were weaned already from their moms...so yeppers, I was very attached to them...it does hurt to watch them leave...can't say that I didn't shed tears when they left...because I did and a few of them, those tears lasted a few weeks after they were gone...the boys have a way of getting into our hearts because they bond faster and tighter with us than the little girls do...so I feel your heart and your sorrow...it will pass soon...maybe a trip over to visit with them, will help you some?

~ Birdie ~
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »

Ere........... I am not a bore and do not live in America  Grin  Grin  Grin

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »

Sorry you had to sell them. Sad

I can't wait to get rid of the boys, annoying, obnoxious, piggy little things, and I don't miss them a bit! I do miss the girls when they go though. I am having a tough time figuring out who is staying and who is going. The boys are easy, they are all going to either new homes or freezer camp.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:42:03 AM »

It is always hard. I don't care how long you have them or how many you sell it is always a heart breatker. 

I will be selling the whole herd minus a couple and I cry now thinking about it.  As long as they go to a good home it is a lot easier.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
happyjunker
Goat Genius

Raising Meat Goats in Lincoln County, Missouri

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 10:51:06 AM »

Dragon, you crack me up!  Grin  "piggy little things"   Grin

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »

It is always hard. I don't care how long you have them or how many you sell it is always a heart breatker. 

I will be selling the whole herd minus a couple and I cry now thinking about it.  As long as they go to a good home it is a lot easier.

What?  Lori?  Selling the whole herd?  OMG.. Sad

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »

Oh Lori!! Cry
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 11:35:32 AM »

Julie,

It just takes some time.  I get super attached too.  After a while you can start to remember them without having that empty feeling. 

Oh gosh sweetgoats.  I hate to hear that for you.  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:19:25 PM by creekmom » Logged

Elizabeth
Ace
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:03:57 PM »

Julie, I do understand your sadness.  I feel that same way whether it's goats, cows, kittens, (not the pigs) pups.....
Just hang in there!
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:49:32 PM »

yep, I will keep a few but we can not get hay around here and with all the stuff that is going on with my life I just have to slow down and take care of my dad and stepmom.   Sad

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 02:01:41 PM »

yep, I will keep a few but we can not get hay around here and with all the stuff that is going on with my life I just have to slow down and take care of my dad and stepmom.   Sad

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, Lori  ! They can be a lot of work that is true.  Even though I know the boys are going I think it is mostly wondering if they will be treated well? Will they be contented and happy? I have kept most all my does every year, so next year every goat kid will be sold and that will be very hard indeed.
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:05:03 AM »

The thought has passed through me about selling some of the bigger goats as we CANNOT get hay around here for love, the bails of hay have tripled in price as we have had NO rain to speak of so I know how you feel about selling your live stock.

Oh I am so sorry to hear that, Lori  ! They can be a lot of work that is true.  Even though I know the boys are going I think it is mostly wondering if they will be treated well? Will they be contented and happy? I have kept most all my does every year, so next year every goat kid will be sold and that will be very hard indeed.

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 01:32:28 PM »

I have never sold an adult doe of mine. Bucks , yes and that wasn't too hard!!  I have several older does who I don't know what I will do when they no longer conceive? If we had the acreage we used to I would just keep them all, but we are pretty crowded here now.  Is it wrong to just end their life here at home ?  The thought of selling them to someone to take to an auction is not something I would like to do. I know many don't have an option. I remember before we moved I sold my herd of sheep and had a few to take to the auction. One was the first ewe we ever purchased. My husband was living here, 600 miles away , working and I had to take her to the auction. I felt so bad. Guess I am not cut out to be a real farmer.

If you can't afford to buy the feed what else can you do?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: