HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 08:03:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
44804 Posts in 3027 Topics by 812 Members
Latest Member: DawnR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Emergency Only (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  High temp, not eating
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: High temp, not eating  (Read 877 times)
LeaningM
Goataholic

« on: June 21, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

I've noticed one of our does (5 1/2) months not eating well.  I checked her this morning and she didn't feel hot.  I went and checked this evening and she did feel hot so I took her temp and it was 105.5.  I gave her banamine and bcomplex.  By the way, this is the same doe I treated for pneumonia w/ naxcel about 3 weeks ago.  We've been showing and traveling.  She has been coughing, but she has coughed ever since we got her.  Little snot, but its been clear and I've been giving vetrx. Gave her some alfafa & drenched her about 30 minutes after given her the shot - her temp had gone down to 104.3.   Should I start her on antibotics?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:29:47 PM »

I would give her a shot of Biomycin -- about 3 cc's.  It should be a one shot thing so don't give her another for at least 48 hours.
LeaningM
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

I went ahead and gave her biomycin, but only 1.6 ccs she only weighs 44 pounds.  She ate the alfafa.  I've drenched her w/ 175 ccs approx.  I checked her temp again about 10:15 and it was 103.3.  When I checked her temp the last time I noticed she had discharge, so I guess she is in heat.  Would this make her temp higher than normal?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 05:07:16 AM »

Worm this baby...if this cough didn't go away with the first round of antibiotic treatment, then you're dealing with lung worms...dose her with Safeguard or Panacur 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight, once daily for 5 days...repeat this again in 14 days.  If that doesn't work, then we'll need to give her an even stronger wormer...such as Cydectin or Ivomec.

You did well to give her that amount of biomycin...3cc's would be too much for her...but I disagree with one dose...give her one dose every other day for 3 doses.  Don't forget the supportive treatment...bcomplex, and probiotics once daily for 48 hours past the last dose of antibiotic.

Banamine once daily for up to 4 days..you can not continue to give banamine past the 4 day mark unless they have listeria.  Keep her in the shade, out of the hot sun..make sure her water is good and cold and I'd use electrolyte water instead of just plain water...pedialyte will work good too.

~ Birdie ~
LeaningM
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »

I had thought it could be lung worms, so I've already wormed her with ivomec.  I actually just wormed her Wednesday with ivomec plus.

Just checked her temp its 101.9
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 10:41:08 AM by LeaningM » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 10:52:02 AM »

the banamine is working...that's good news. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 02:20:20 PM »

Great news on the temp. 

I was thinking lung worm also.  How old was she when you got her? 

Are you in a area that is dry and dusty?  I know I have a couple that are coughing but it is so darn dry here and like a hot box, nothing like we are use to.  I am coughing more also. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
LeaningM
Goataholic

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 07:43:54 PM »

She was 4 months old when she went to the breeders farm to a friend of ours that held her until we were able to get her (distance).  We picked her up when she was 4 1/2 months.

Yes, we live in south Ga - its very hot, dry & dusty.  I think the dust has been bothering all of them, some of the others cough also.  But this does cough has always been there and its a lot deeper than the others.  Don't know if this would have any bearing or not - but she chokes real easy.  In fact, we have to be careful not to put much pressure on her neck/throat area.

I just came in from checking her &drenching.   her temp tonight was 103.2.  Since its not any higher, I thinking not to give banamine, am I correct?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:48:36 PM »

What kind of a goat is she?  Nigis tend to cough a lot because they are so low to the ground and consequently the dust can really bother them.
LeaningM
Goataholic

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »

Boer/nubian mix...   right now she is all legs, her body hasn't caught up to her legs yet
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 07:13:41 AM »

We can leave 103.2 alone and not give the banamine..but if she reaches 103.5 then yes, by all means give the shot...especially since her body temp was elevated before...banamine works differently in all goats...some of them it doesn't last even 12 hours, and some it will last in the body for much longer than the 24 hours....so her body may just now becoming off the effects of banamine and the fever is returning.  Keep a close watch on her.

Redose that Ivomec Plus in 10 days..make sure we get all those things out of her..and if it still doesn't work (which is what I experienced with one of my big Boer Bucks who I bought with a cough, and found out later it was lung worm), then run that regimen of Safeguard/Panacur (I like panacur better than safeguard) on her.  That will definitely kill off the rest of the lung worm larvae. 

Lungworm is contagious...when they cough they cough the larvae out into the air, from the air to the bedding, grass, or other items around, for further contamination of other hosts. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: