HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 08:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45484 Posts in 3072 Topics by 778 Members
Latest Member: upsidedown
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Emergency Only (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  Udder Caught on Barb Wire
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Udder Caught on Barb Wire  (Read 1246 times)
aslfcmom
Bottle Babies

Skeen Homestead Farm

« on: June 16, 2012, 11:35:51 PM »

A friend's doe got her udder caught on barbed wire and really tore the nipple.  The vet I use is out of town and we are not sure what to do.  Help please.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 05:05:43 AM »

Jessica;
Keep it very clean with betadine solution and warm water...use a topical antibiotic cream on it...wrap it if you need to, with gauze and Vet wrap tape if you can keep it on there.  Give her a tetanus antitoxin ASAP...if the cut is really bad, you can attempt to super glue it, and start her on penicillin once daily for 7 to 10 days.

These teat wounds are not easy to care for, so make sure they keep her in a clean dry stall bedded down deep in good clean straw or shavings.

~ Birdie ~
aslfcmom
Bottle Babies

Skeen Homestead Farm

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 07:54:46 AM »

Pam,

Even though they only live about five minutes down the road, I have not seen it in person yet.  They did send me a picture.  It's very bad, but does not appear to be bleeding or anything.  The very end of the teat 3/4ths of the way torn off.  I did have them superglue and wrap last night.  I think it needs to be stiched.  The vet I use is in Vegas for some reason for the weekend, and no one else would see them last night.  They got refused by a 24 hour emergency clinic about an hour a way.  The vet said he did not care what the situation was, he would not work on a goat!
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:37:09 AM »

WOW, I can not believe a vet would do that (or should I say be aloud to say that). 

I do not know or have anything to add, other then I am so sorry this is happened. That is why i do not have barb wire anywhere.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »

A comment like that from a vet at an emergency clinic would result in a call to the State department that oversees the vets with a complaint.  And I would make that call tomorrow morning first thing.  That's like a doctor saying he won't see someone who walked in an emergency room at a hospital.  Rediculous to say the least.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 10:24:52 AM »

Unfortunately, unlike human doctors, a vet can say whatever he or she wants and can refuse to see a patient if they don't want to work on it. It's a while different set of standards governing the 2 professions. Human medicine is constitutional law, animal medicine is business law.

It's probably too late to stitch her now, but I would still get her to a vet asap tomorrow. Is she a milker? Is she lactating now? Those 2 things can mean a world of difference in treatment.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »

All the same---I would still call the State Vet department and complain.  If people never complain about things, then hnothing gets done.  Folks have to learn to open their mouths.
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »

Unless they are a "small animal" hospital, seems as though they would have to take the call.  I disagree dragonlair....I think there is a moral obligation they have to the animal, no matter what species it is.  I would call and talk to the head honcho at the vet's office.  If you don't get any satisfaction, then notify the state.  I don't know about you people on here, but I never had a job where I could pick and choose what I wanted or didn't want to do...vets are the same way.  My vets admitted they don't like to work on goats, but they will.  If that vet has enough money that he can turn down business, then he needs to retire.   Wink

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
bsakikos
Goataholic

Central Indiana

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 08:59:20 PM »

I was reading this thread and while I agree with the hypacritical (spelling) oath thoughts.  I would say find a vet that wants to take care of a goat.  I know this is an emergency but, I would not want someone working on an animal of mine that didn't want to really help it your animal will be the loser in the end.  I wouldn't hesitate to share the info with everyone I knew about their unwillingness to help as well. 

I have had a similar issue earlier and the advice stated above is good advice keep it clean and covered with an antibiotic ointment it will take a while to heal.

Registered Kiko's
http://www.bsakikos.com
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 05:01:11 AM »

I won't even get started on the "code of ethics" with the vets these days...none of them should be allowed to turn their backs on the creatures they vowed to care for.  I get very angry about these types of situations and believe me when I say...If I can complain and solicit my opinion, if there is some thing I can do or not, you bet I'm gonna open my mouth wide and loudly!! I believe in taking a stand for the animals rights...if we don't, then no one will.  Angry

How's the Doe doing this morning?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »

Veterinary care is a business. They are under no obligation to care for patients they don't want to care for, unlike humans, who have federal laws that prevent hospitals from turning them away in an emergency, or whether they can pay or not. Morality has nothing to do with most business practices and will not stand up in court.

Would you really want a vet working on your animal if he/she:

probably knows nothing about the species, as most emergency clinic are for dogs and cats?

doesn't want to work on it to begin with?

No care is better than mediocre or poor care.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »

applying stitches to an area...come now...all vets know how to do that.

~ Birdie ~
Ace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »

aslfcmom.....any report on the doe? 
Julie H
Goat Genius

Minnesota

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 01:40:01 PM »

I think the whole problem is that so many vets now a days are in it as a business not because they love animals. How can a dedicated animal doctor refuse to treat an animal in need? I am on a couple different forums occasionally where people can't get a vet in an emergency for a horse or cow either.  I feel so blessed to have had a couple of vets who would at least try to help me because the animal needed it. I have also had a serious issue and my vet was gone and other vet's I called won't even call you back??  I ended up calling my previous vet 800 miles away. Not only did he call me right back he walked me through treating it and we resolved the problem. A real vet is a gift from God!!

How is the doe today??
aslfcmom
Bottle Babies

Skeen Homestead Farm

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 04:32:56 PM »

She will be stitched back up tonight when the vet gets home.  I'm told she's doing well.  She is being kept in a small area and is well bandaged and everything is staying clean.  She is a milk goat and she freshened about three weeks ago.  She is a very sweet girl. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: