HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 09:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19532 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Angora question
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Angora question  (Read 3671 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: June 22, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »

Someone up here is selling a buckling. His sire is an angora, his dam is 1/2 dairy and 1/2 angora. They said he can be registered upon inspection. Who inspects? And for what, fleece fiber?

Is that true? Just curious, in case I ever want to get a fiber goat (which is a possibility someday.)

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:45:02 PM »

H----registered with whom?  Doesn't make sense.  If people want to cross angoras, they usually cross them with pygmies so that they get pygorias.
Candace
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 04:40:36 PM »

the colored angora did cross to dairy years ago, and sometimes they still do it to add color to white. The inspection is through one of the colored angora associations, but I doubt he'd pass. I have a nubian angora doe (Accident) and she would NEVER pass; beautiful fiber, but not up to colored angora standards.... but I bred her to the angora to up the fiber, and I know her kids would pass if I went to get them inspected.
Check out the two main colored registries.
http://www.acagr.us/
http://cagba.org/
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »

The picture shows a very nice little buckling who is a pretty reddish gold color with wavy hair. He's just a little guy.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Candace
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

Oh my daisy may (m nugora) is a pretty thing, she grows nice fiber, but would not qualify. It's more cashmere in type. If i let it get past about 3 inches it felts. I just wanted to tell you, so you wouldn't get him thinking he'd definitely get registered, I've never had a 1/2, 1/2 grow the fiber or have the converge to qualify. He could have really nice fiber, I just don't think he'd be able to be registered. Recorded yes, but not registered, but that is just my experience! Smiley I do ahve people that LOVE my nugora accidents, I had one last year, but none this year, and I had someone call and ASK for a nugora!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »

I wasn't planning on buying him, I was just asking for future reference. I don't need any more goats right now. Roll Eyes

Candace
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »

Do any of us?  laugh
cornerstoneboer
Goat Genius

Northern Michigan (Near Cadillac or Traverse City)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 06:32:26 PM »

Do any of us?  laugh
Grin Grin

Northern Michigan (Near Cadillac or Traverse City)
Boers, Kikos, Myotonics (and their crosses)
F
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »

I was going to go through the class so I could register angora goats bit they do it during my fiber judging of he Cashmere fiber. I wish I could help. Maybe someday I can do it.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Candace
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:35:31 AM »

Oh, you know what Dragon, you said his dam(I just realized I missed this!) was a 1/2 1/2; and his sire is angora, then he COULD possibly mature good enough to be registered, I'm sorry, my flub, but he very easily can have angora fiber. If hes a 1/4;3/4. When I have the ones from my Daisy, (whose pic I am sharing below); some have the potential and some not. She had twins this year, one I think very strongly has the possibility, one I'm not so sure. The pic below of Diasy, she has BEAUTIFUL fiber, but it never gets any longer than what you see, at that point if I don't get her sheared, she felts!
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 10:43:55 AM »

Candace by "felt" do you mean matt up????
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Candace
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 12:00:04 PM »

yes, it starts really tangling, matting, with her, I know it's due to how super fine she is, I would say her hair compares to cashmere, hey, Lori, maybe I could send a little to you for your opinion?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 03:32:10 PM »

So, that doe is 3/4 Angora?

How is the fleece on half breeds, like the pygoras? Is it worth the while to get one of those if you want fiber? The seem to be popular, but I'm not sure if it's for fiber or as a pet!

Candace
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »

That is my 1/2 1/2; the Nubian/angora, 50% -  Daisy, she bred to an angora would be like the little billie you got the pics of.
The thing with the cross, is you never know! lol
The fleece on the the pygora is supposed to be a little different, but it does look similar to Daisy, I found this site:
http://www.rock-farms.com/index.php?page=pygora-goats
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: