HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 01:26:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Heat stress in Angoras
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Heat stress in Angoras  (Read 2141 times)
PrimroseAngoras
Bottle Babies

« on: July 06, 2012, 12:58:11 PM »

I'm fairly busy keeping my Angoras from getting heat stress!  They are drinking about 3 times as much water as usual, and I have to shut them out of the barn as it is not as cool in there.  Almost clipped them yesterday..... but found they were a little better with a fan blowing on them.  Yes, I have mounted a box fan in a tree.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »

Good for you.  I have my cashmere that are growing in their hair and they too are hot.

I have fans in my barn to keep the air going IF they wanted to go in.

Something else, is dump the water and refill it with fresh cool water.  When I turn on the water, the girls know what I am doing and come right over to get their cool water.

I say you are a great Goat owner to do the fan, I think that is great. 

Try to offer them some shade somehow.  I have seen people using like hog panels laying them across stuff and putting a tarp on it so they can get in the shade. Whatever works at this point. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Candace
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:57:33 PM »

Luckily DH has about 20 huts that are open on either end to allow air flow and shade. We sheared late so they aren't as heavy fleeced.
taelir
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:30 PM »

my cashmeres are hot too! I've been taking old butter tubs and making giant ice cubes for water tanks. they take a while to melt fully, and the water stays a bit cooler throughout the day. quick and easy!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: