HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:12:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Tell us about your farm!
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Tell us about your farm!  (Read 4934 times)
mhoward2
Bottle Babies

« on: July 07, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »

How many goats do you have? How much pasture land do you have? What kind of goats to you have? Are they registered or not? How many goats do you hope to have?

I currently have 24 goats: 12 senior does, 2 bucks, 3 wethers, 7 doelings.
10 of my does should be kidding by the end of this year.

I currently have approx. 5 or so acres fenced but have plenty of land to grow.

I have pygmy, ND and crosses. They are not registered.

I hope to have 50 does someday.

I LOVE my goats. They are so much fun to watch.
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:00:59 AM »

We have about 120 goats (babies, does & bucks) at any one time.  There are alpines, oberhasli, toggenburg, and a rather large herd of recorded grades.

They are all registered.  We use them as a show herd and we have several permanent grand champions (including our togg buck) and do about 12 shows a year--both in and out of state.

We have two very large barns and about 30 acres.  We have three large pastures for the does who have their own barn.  Then the boys have a separate barn with their own large pasture. 

We milk about 35 does AM & PM and we leave our kids on their dams.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »

11 acres in East Tennessee, totally fenced in. 7 seperate lots, 2 that house bucks only. 2 Great Pyrs with the goats at all times. As of Tuesday morning I had 47 goats, Tuesday afternoon I had 36 and will reduce more in a few weeks. I want to keep 20 breeding does and I dont count the bucks and several useless wethers in the total. The useless wethers being Shaq and Indiana.

My bucks are Kiko/Boer and Kiko/Savana.

Does and 2 PB Nubians, 3 Lamanchas. Several Boer/Alpines, and KikoX does. All kids this year have Kiko/Boer sire and he will stay for one more breeding season then the Kiko/Savana will take over.

We have a nice garden. 54 quarts of green beans canned 16 quarts in the freezer. 20 quarts of potatoes canned. Several packages of potatoes in the freezer. Some mashed some quartered some whole.

Squash in the freezer.

Working on Blackberr, strawberry, peach, blueberry and pear wines.

I will be working on peppers in just a little while gotta have my second cup of coffee first.

Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »

"Squash in the freezer" ????  How unfair.  Ours is just coming up!!  The peas have finally blossomed.  The only thing we have right now is lettuce, radish, and scullions.  Beet greens are trying---by next week (maybe). 

That's a "Northern Garden" for you!! Wink
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 01:17:16 PM »

I own 1 acre, the goats area is about 1/10th of that. I bring browse to them when I leave the lawn and weeds growing.

I have 5 milkers, 2 bucks (a 18 month old Nubian and a 4 month old LaMancha), 7 doelings, 2 dry yearling does and a soon to be wether for the freezer. They are all registered/recorded. I want to show some of the kids next year.

This year the kids were left on the does and I milked the does twice a day for the extra. Next year all the doe kids will be pulled at birth and raised on pasteurized goat milk/CAE prevention. The bucklings will stay with the dams and be shipped to the meat market at 2-3 months old.

I have a mixed herd of Nubian, Lamancha and a single token Oberhasli. I am down sizing the Nubs and going with the LM and Obies.

My goats are a pain in the backside and I'm not sure why I love them, but I do.

My strawberries have already had their first crop and are working on their second. The blueberries are ripening, the tomatoes are getting flowers and there are a couple of tiny heads on the cauliflower.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
FlatLakeFarmers
Caprine Guru

Northern Alberta

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:50:54 AM »

The farm I live on was started by my husbands grandparents, currently his parents, his oldest brother (plus his wife and 3 children), and my husband and I live here. We have three 1/4 sections of land, only one of which is currently used for livestock (the other two are used for hay); we also pasture some of our cattle on a rented 1/4 section. We are located a few hours North of Edmonton Alberta.
We have about 70 cow calf pairs (South devon mostly, but some red angus left in the lines, and some hereford as well; and we just introduced Speckled Park).
We have about 130 ewes (pure bred suffolk, some part katahidn, and some suffolk/Canadian arcott), and currently about 180 lambs (not all the ewes were bred).
We have 40(ish) does and 40 kids at the moment (only about 23 does kidded this spring). Our original herd girls are boer/nubian, we have retained 3 of last years kids so they are boer/kiko/nubian/spanish, we recently purchased 4 high percentage boer does, and 6 registered boer doelings. We have a Kiko/Boer/Spanish buck and a boer buck (both of whom we are considering selling this fall). We will be picking up our registered Kiko buckling in about a weeks time.
The farm also has about 30 llamas.
The cows have a donkey in with them for 'protection'. In the sheep pen we have one great pyr (we think...), one maremma, and one anatolian shepherd. The bucks have a maremma, and our does have a maremma, and an anatolian shepherd.
There's also a border collie for herding, a border collie mix that walks around the yard, and my brother in law has a pitbull.
My husband and I have a german shepherd mix, a douge de bordeaux, and we just brought home a visually impaired purebred german shepherd on Saturday.
The husband and I also have two cats, a corn snake, and a ferrett. I am surrounded by critters all day; I love it!

We have 26 Does, 2 Bucks, and 30 kids at the moment; it's a happy place Smiley
www.flatlakegoats.webs.com
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 02:34:58 PM »

Interesting reading till I got to the snake Bolt long as I dont see em I ok Grin
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »

Flatlake you dont sound busy enough. Grin
We're on only an acre. I dont know how it works but it does.
Let's see,  5 Boer does, 2 %s (Boer/Nub) one % weanling.
Then there's big old wether BB (short for bottle baby) & his new young buck roomie who wants to go to work but he has to wait till I get them ready.
Two mostly Anatolians, 1/2 doz chickens & about 6 barn kitties.
FlatLakeFarmers
Caprine Guru

Northern Alberta

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »

Interesting reading till I got to the snake Bolt long as I dont see em I ok Grin
Rocky
Flatlake you dont sound busy enough. Grin
Rocky

I forgot to mention that we also have about 30 chickens, and 6 pigs  Grin.
The farm is a busy place, but with six able bodied adults the load really isn't that large.
No one is a full time farmer, as we all have jobs outside of the farm, but I'm greatfull that I get the summers "off" because I'm a teacher.

We have 26 Does, 2 Bucks, and 30 kids at the moment; it's a happy place Smiley
www.flatlakegoats.webs.com
Ace
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 10:04:55 PM »

I currently have 8 goats: an alpine, a sanaan, and the rest are myotonics.  I milk my alpine 2x a day and am getting just shy of a gallon daily.  Hubby has a horse and a donkey, and three steers that are being fed out.  Youngest son has 20 pigs that he feeds out for a CSA in Chicago/Niles, and for our freezer.  We have seven barn cats and 2 kittens, LGD Buster, blue heeler Gypsy, lab Susie, shih tzu Charlotte, and Boots, Lucy, Topanga, and Tibby cats. 

We raise field corn, wheat, soybeans, and have about 40 acres of produce:  blackberries (we picked 13 gallons today and 11 gallons last Thursday), green beans, sweet corn squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, muskmelon, watermelon, and pumpkins.

I make goat milk soaps and am going to try my hand at cheese making as soon as I can catch my breath!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:34:21 PM »

I didn't mention the 2 inside geriatric cats,  40+ laying hens,  3 horses or the 10 dogs, 6 Alaskan Malamutes, 2 Great Pyrs, 1 deaf English Setter and a Greyberian HuskHound.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 01:32:29 PM »

We have 13 current breeding does.  I am keeping all 11 of my doelings from this years kiddings. I have one Boer buck and his companion wether.  We have 3 acres pasture and 9 acres alfalfa grass hay we cut and bale. All my goats are Boer except for a Nubian and a few of her offspring, a Pygmy and 2 of his offspring ( before becoming a wether).
In addition we have a Jersey milk cow, her 2 steers we are raising to butcher, feeder pigs ( for butcher) A sow ready to farrow next week, Chickens cats, dogs , 2 appaloosa horses and one ornery mule.
cornerstoneboer
Goat Genius

Northern Michigan (Near Cadillac or Traverse City)

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 08:32:10 AM »

Okay, I feel small in comparision to some of y'all  Grin  But here goes:
Located in Northern Lower Michigan we currently have (some are registered, some can be registered and some are grade)
13 does and doelings (2 FB Boer, 5 "grade" Boki, 2 75% Boer/ 25% Kiko, 1 pygora, 2 Pygora/ Myotonic crosses, 1 Saanen/lamancha) 
1 Angora wether
3 bucks (one 89/11 Kiko/Boer, one FB boer and one Myotonic)
2 great Pyrenees with the goats (one for the bucks and one for the does)
a breeding pair of Asian Heirloom Hogs (meat version of a PBP)
currently we have two of their piglets that a being raised for the freezer
2 VERY ANNOYING guinea hens
40 or so laying hens
(in the spring we raise cornish X for meat)
2 roosters
3 horses
2 barn cats
2 house cats
1 jack russell house dog
1 border collie/australian shephard/german wire hair house dog

We are on two acres and also have a large vegetable garden, a corn patch, a berry patch, an herb garden and some newly planted and mature fruit trees (mulberry, cherry, apple, peach, pear, pecan) 

We mainly have been selling goats for breeding stock and market wethers at this point.  We do hope to have a few to sell just for meat at some point, our old buck threw almost all girls.  We have only had 5 boys to date!!  I look forward to bringing our herd up to a total of 20 goats.  (It would be MORE, but I had to draw a line to make the hubby happy)   That gives me 4 spaces if I don't count the wether  Wink.   I would love to add an angora doe or two but that would take up spots "reserved" for acutal money making goats.  If I had room for one more buck I'd buy an angora buck AND some does, but right now that just isn't going to work for us so I guess we are sticking with mainly meat and I'll keep my two fiber goats for my personal use/fun.  We are going to be doing some playing with genetics here and adding the myotonic line into our Boer and Boer/Kiko goats.  Not trying to reinvent the wheel LOL, but we hope to come up with some nice kids.  We may have some pet quality Myotonics (the wethers) to offer next year so that will be nice to be able to sell actual pets.  However I guess we will just have to see!!  I am actually going to keep one of the does from our Saanen/Lamancha girl this year so we will have a second milker.  Our girl is a prety good milker for a grade goat at over a gallon a day and I'm a pretty lazy milker!!  (last lactation I kept track "properly" by weight but this time I just milk her)  I'm hoping a daughter of hers will be at least a decent milker....I have yet to hear how her other girls have done.

Next year or the year after we hope to start our own 2 or 3 share CSA and offer vegetables, fruits, herbs, chicken, eggs, chevon, milk and pork. 
We are in the process of adding somewhere between 6 and 20 acres to our current farm.   

Hmmm, speaking of critters and eating - perhaps I should get out and do my chores!!!

Northern Michigan (Near Cadillac or Traverse City)
Boers, Kikos, Myotonics (and their crosses)
F
taelir
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:55 PM »

I don't call ours a farm, I call it a zoo!!

We live on the original 160 acres that my husband's family homesteaded 120+ years ago (well, they owned a half section but the north 160 was sold). We're hoping we can buy the north piece back later on...

As far as goats, not too many right now. Four cashmeres, seven myotonics (just lost two babies), and hopefully a few Boers in the near future. I think the goats only have 10 acres or so at the moment, but the plan is to eventually give them the chunk of CRP ground just north of the house when it comes out of CRP status. I think that's like 35 acres?

Aside from the goaties, we run feeder cattle and my husband farms. Just out here at the house (husband's family has their "headquarters" farm elsewhere), the numbers vary all the time - the most we had was just over 400 head a few months ago. It's pretty neat. Hectic at times, but neat. Never in my life did I think I'd learn how to raise cattle, much less hundreds of them at a time!

Let me think here, what all else is out here at the moment:
3 horses (anyone want to come break them to work cattle for us?)
1,000,000 cats, or at least it seems that way sometimes. in reality it's more like 30.
14 hens
1 schnauzer
1 dachshund
1 Aussie
2 great pyrs (ok not yet, but I'm on Candace's waiting list and I am SO SO SO EXCITED to own some pyrs)

I used to have an awesome garden, I really need to plan one next year. I make a mean jar of dill pickles!

I'd also love to have a dairy goat just for milk to make my own soap, but I know I really don't want to deal with milking so I've held off. I'd also love to get a few sheep for fleece purposes (y'know, to go with all the awesome cashmere).
HankTheTank
Goataholic

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 11:02:33 AM »

Well it's not really a farm, but here's what we got  Grin

Three VERY spoiled little nigerian dwarf goats, and the duck who lives with them who think's he's a goat. One of my does is CL+, so I can't get any more goats and I lost my job on a dairy farm.
Three alpacas, who actually need a new home but noone will take them since one of them has been exposed to the CL virus (doesn't HAVE it, just been in contact)
Two rescue dogs; a lab/pit mix and a yorkie/??? mix, and a bloodhound we raised for the Deputy Dogs organization. He'll be placed in a police department soon though.
I'm hoping to adopt my own dog, probably a pit or pit mix, when my sister moves out 
Two ringneck doves
Five cats
Two parakeets
A lionhead rabbit

We are on about an two-ish acres of land, my parents are divorced but live right next door to each other so we have both yards.

In the future I'd like to have chickens for meat and eggs, and maybe raise a wether for meat. My mother is in a very "all animals are pets" mentality, so I would have a very hard time convincing her. I think turkeys would be awesome too. I wish I had the patience to have a garden, but I've tried before and always failed miserably. Maybe I'll try again next year though  Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: