HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 04:34:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
WARNING: DO not EVER click on any link in any email to reset a password UNLESS you yourself requested it. Be safe on the internet. There are many scams out there. Phishing is one of them, no site, from banking to us here at Goatbeat will EVER send an email asking for you to click on a link and reset your password. SO NEVER click on a link and give out personal information.

Stats
45450 Posts in 3068 Topics by 777 Members
Latest Member: saran
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  How to put weight on my Saanen/ Nubian mix
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: How to put weight on my Saanen/ Nubian mix  (Read 1284 times)
autumnprairie
Bottle Babies

« on: July 16, 2012, 09:37:05 PM »

I am trying to put weight on my Saanen/ Nubian mix she is a FF yearling I took her doeling from her about a week ago but I have been fighting her weight for months now she is one of those goats that have no sense and had poisoned her and her doeling once already. I milk her daily and she never finishes her grain I am thinking of milking her twice  so she will increase her milk and her grain intake . Please help,

12 goats, 30 chickens 1LGD, 5 breeding rabbits
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:46:17 PM »

If she is a yearling, then it probably would have helped her (as you said her weight was down before she freshened) if you had not bred her.  A lot of FF yearlings seem to loose weight as they put all their energy into having the kid and the milk.  If I were you, I would just continue the amoount you now feed her, and I would probably stop milking her.  Drying her off will give her body the chance to build back up.
autumnprairie
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »

how do I go about drying her up, I am fairly new to goats I don't want to cause her harm. Whitney is my sweetheart, I bought her in Dec , she was already bred
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:16:16 PM by autumnprairie » Logged

dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »

I add fat to their diet to gain weight, but no more than 5% of their total diet. Black oil sunflower seeds, canola oil on the grain, rice bran top dressed on the grain, stuff like that. I also feed a meal of alfalfa pellets, rice bran and soaked beet pulp in the middle of the day to all my goats. They love it.

Maybe her stomach isn't feeling well. Try giving her some baking soda to see if it helps. Giving Vit B complex will increase an appetite too.

What type of grain? Whats the protein and fat content? How much are you feeding her? What is she on for hay/grazing/browse and how much does she get? When was the last time you dewormed her and with what? Did you have her fecaled to make sure you were targeting that type of worm with the proper medication?

four of my five milkers are yearling FF's and they are all in very good shape, still feeding their kids and providing milk for the house, the bottle kid and the dogs/chickens.

Also, how thin is she? Dairy goats are expected to have some ribs showing, unlike meat goats who should not show any ribs.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:02:05 PM »

If you dry her off that will help a lot.  Are you milking once or twice a day?  Every milking leave some milk in her udder.  If you don't empty the udder, it tells her she doesn't need to make as much milk.  Watch for heat in the udder, lumps and any redness, those are signs of mastitis and you don't want that either.  They do make meds that you can put right up into the teat to help with drying up, but I have never used it.  Someone who does will probably pop in and tell you what it is.  I feed mine an 18% dairy grain and I topdress with Black Oil Sunflower Seeds.  I currently have a Obi doe that was emiaciated and she is also milking.  She gets 4 cups of grain twice a day.  She is finally starting to put on some weight even though I am still milking her.  It will take time to get weight on her.  Has your doe been wormed lately, or have you taken a fecal to the vet to make sure she doesn't have worms?  Worms will keep a goats weight off too.  I have a container with Baking Soda and loose minerals in with my goats all the time.  Mine also have mixed grass hay in with them 24/7.  They go out and graze/browse all day and have hay when they want it.   

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
autumnprairie
Bottle Babies

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »

she gets milked once a day and fed on the stand twice a day, Today was not to milk her completely but maybe just a cup rather than the quart she is giving me so I could start drying her off. I also put her in the kid pen . I will add BOS to her diet also. Thank you for replying.

autumnprairie
Bottle Babies

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:06:51 PM »

This is Whitney

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:11:28 AM »

yeah...she needs a lot of weight put on her...how much food are you giving her at each meal?

I definitely would dry this Doe off...I would not milk a Doe who's back bone, is showing that way...hips bones showing on a dairy goat is ok, but her entire spine is showing, and that's not good.  You can see how thin she is in her neck as well...soon her body will start eating away at her muscle, and then we have issues that are harder to cure. 

My best advise to you is dry her off milking..slowly and gradually increase her feed (find a food she likes)...When was she last wormed and with what?  You can up her protein, using wheat germ oil (not the knock off stuff..the real stuff..found in the equine section of the farm stores..you'll know the difference from the price of it...it's not cheap...but a little goes a long long way...such as a teaspoon to no more than a tablespoon over her grain twice daily)...calf manna, alfalfa pellets, even added corn can help her put weight on.  I dont know what type of feed you're feeding but most man made products some goats will turn their noses up at, such as pelleted goat feed.

Another thing to remember is goats require at least a 14% digestable protein..and you'll find that they do MUCH better on 18 to 20% protein. 

~ Birdie ~
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »

I got one similar to that, welllllllllll not soo thin, Poor Lolitta, I just start to get her to put some weight on and she gets ill with the squits then starts to loose it again, 2 days later she starts eating again (every month)
I mix sunflower seed oil (and sugar, not got anything like molasses here)with her diet, but then saying that Marta was like that when she was an FF. Now she is fine and dandy.
I cut her milking down to 2 x daily and am seriously thinking of doing once daily with her. She is still feeding the little one so cannot stop yet. Its seeing the back bone like that, that would make me consider pumping extra stuff in her, Lolo has a fairly good back but some ribs are showing so NOT as bad as yours.

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »

Autumnprairie, my Lucy was thinner than yours when I got her.  I could count her ribs and her spine stuck up.  She had no muscle tone.  You can bring her back in good shape.  Start increasing her grain a little at a time.  Because Lucy is still in milk, was so thin, and anemic she gets 4 cups of 18% grain topdressed with BOSS twice a day.  If your goat isn't eating all her grain, she doesn't like it.  You need to get a good grain that she will eat.  Mine get a dairy mix from a feed mill that has pellets and fines in it, Lucy eats the pellets and corn first, then the fines, but she eats it all, twice a day.  That is a lot of grain, but this girl is still in milk and was sooooo thin.  Does she have a good loose mineral available to her all the time?  If not, I would do that too, along with Baking Soda.  Have you checked her eyelids, is she anemic?  Have you had a fecal done?  Worms will bring them down fast, and it takes a long time to get them back up to where they should be.  I think if you can get a good grain that she will eat, that will be half the battle.  Make sure she has hay 24/7 too.

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »

I would fecal her and as was suggested, baking soda in case her gut is acidic or not functioning properly. Oil top dressed on her grain is another way off adding calories without causing carb overload, just make sure it's not a lot or it could smother the gut flora.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
autumnprairie
Bottle Babies

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:23 PM »

UPDATE: Whit is slowly starting to put on the weight she eats twice a day and follows me around like a puppy with all the extra attention she gets. I have wormed her and given her a round of Red Cell too. I know that this is a slow process and will take time. Thank you everyone for the help

Ace
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Illinois

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

Fantastic news!  Always good to get a report, especially a good one.   Afro
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »

oh that's really great news!!  So very happy to hear that.  Good Job Autumn. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: