HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Weaning
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Weaning  (Read 1794 times)
kristina
Bottle Babies

« on: July 27, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »

So my little buckling is now almost 5 months old.  I was hoping mom would wean him on her own, but she has not.  He was eating alfalfa at a week old and grazes too.  I don't want to separate them.  Molly is a first time mom, she is a real marshmallow. Most of the time she kicks him away, but I still see him nursing on a daily basis...especially if he is stressed.  Will she eventually make him stop?  Is there some way I can make the weaning happen without having to separate them?  Please help!
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:25:36 AM »

Just leave them alone and mom will eventually get tired of the nursing and kick him off.  Some does are slower about weaning their kids than others.  5 months isn't a terribly long time to have a kid drinking.  We had 7 & 8 month olds still snitch a drink once in a while.
It's a case of "mother knows best!"
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 06:58:26 AM »

Kristina, is your buckling intact?  or have you wethered him?  If he's intact, you have no choice but to remove him, he'll breed his mom back in short order even at 5 months old...we had an oops breeding like that from a 4 month old that got 5 does!!  You don't want to risk that.  Either wether him, or pull him..wethering can take many weeks for him to become sterile, so even then you'll have to be extra watchful.

Yes, as Sally said, we've had Doelings nursing their mom's off and on...but our bucklings were pulled at 4 months old..we never ever left an intact buckling on mom longer than that.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:54:41 AM by imalilbirdie » Logged

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 07:19:18 PM »

I've had does that will not wean their kids and I had to seperate them in the fall when I bred the mothers back. That's way too much strain on a doe, to be bred and still feeding a 6 month old kid, or even older!

If he is intact, I would either wether him or get him away from the does or you will have a bunch of unplanned pregnancies.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: