HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 17, 2017, 06:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19684 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Helpful Hints (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Check Your Water Troughs
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Check Your Water Troughs  (Read 4599 times)
happyjunker
« on: August 01, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »

Yesterday evening I cruised over to check on the does water.  It was empty!  Just some green muck in the bottom.  YUCK!  They go through some water, but our routine has changed since Dave has been working a lot of overtime the past couple weeks.  He usually takes care of the does water. 

What was funny was I sprayed out the trough, and as it was filling, the goats wanted a drink, but the ground was wet on the low side, so they waited.  I saw them looking at that wet dirt like, "I'm not stepping in that"!  Silly goats, I guess they weren't that bad off.

Just a friendly reminder.  It's hot, they drink more, schedules change.  Just make sure all your critter have fresh clean water this time of year.  Wink
Marta
Goat Genius

(Crimea)ooooops whats that there then?

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »

Same here I have noticed I have to fill more buckets and all my times have changed for regular fill ups

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »

One of the good things about having a small place, I walk by the water buckets, tubs and fountains constantly, and they are very visible from the walk ways, so I always know how much water is in them. Plus, I do a full round of chores 3 times a day, so the tubs are topped off 3 times a day.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:00:33 AM »

ours was like that too Dragon.  What seemed to go fastest was the vinegar water buckets..those were just buckets, so they needed to be watched.  We had water troughs, like I sent with you Tracy...so it was a longer amount of time before they needed to be refilled.  Most our water troughs were in the shaded areas so the water stayed much cooler than if it were in the sun...we dumped the troughs once a week and cleaned them real good, then refilled them.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:25:48 PM »

I scrub them once a week too. Today was scrub day. All the water recepticles were emptied, bleached, scrubbed and refilled.

I use the ACV to keep the mosquito larvae from growing and to help cut back on the algae. I live in an area that used to be (thousands of years ago) part of a river bed, so algae grows at the drop of a hat, so to speak. Algae is a constant here in the warmer months.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
HankTheTank
Goataholic

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:27:50 PM »

I've gone from scrubbing and refilling twice a day, to doing it up to four or five! It doesn't help that Colin, the duck, likes to chill out in the bucket when it's hot out  Grin I'm getting him his own little pool in about a week so hopefully I shouldn't have to deal with that...

Does anyone else freeze water bottles and put them in buckets to keep them cool? I started doing that about a month ago and the goats love it
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 05:18:03 AM »

Yep, Hank I do freeze the soda bottles and put them down into the water troughs...I did forget to mention that...when they thaw out, then I replace them with new ones and rinse off the thawed out ones and right back into the freezer they go.

Dragon, algae is horrible down here to..you see it growing on the dry ground 3/4's of the time...Dogs water outdoors is changed daily..no doubt about that...it's too hot to not change it daily.

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 09:31:12 AM »

I have too noticed how bad mine are and how fast they drink.  I had to remind my 4Hers to watch their waters also, you know kids do not think about that. 

I scrub mine out with bleach about twice a week, that really helps keep the nasty green slime stay away for a bit.  I also fill and over flow the tanks so they have fresh cool water, BUT we have gotten so much rain here (I am NOT complaining at all), that the tanks are always full and cool.  They are not drinking like they were a few weeks ago.

We have that green stuff all over the pastures now, I have not seen it and forgot what it was called for awhile.  Just so you know I did finally remember what it is. It is called GRASS.   run run  OH and lots and lots of mud. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Marta
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »

Sorry Sweetgoats could you explain one more time for me, I must be thick or some thing, this green stuff! is it from the water buckets and spread over the fields or do you go out and paint the fields?
Am a bit confused so please explain very slowly, I think you called it grass....is that not some weed that grows , ppls dry it out and smoke it for some reason.  Cool Grin Grin Grin

dont tell me to give em drugs we aint got non here in Crimea, its all herbs and such
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »

Sorry Sweetgoats could you explain one more time for me, I must be thick or some thing, this green stuff! is it from the water buckets and spread over the fields or do you go out and paint the fields?
Am a bit confused so please explain very slowly, I think you called it grass....is that not some weed that grows , ppls dry it out and smoke it for some reason.  Cool Grin Grin Grin

I know I know.  I have not seen this in years.  Now if I could get that stuff called Hay.  lol 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Marta
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 04:00:43 AM »

Oh hay now that I forgot about this stuff, apparently you grow this green stuff then for some unknown reason you dry it out in the sun....over here it normally costs 1.50 grivner (not too sure about the spelling there) this yr its costing 40 grivner upwards and the bails are about the size of an egg box.
My theory I had during the summer came true this morning.
I was in the field and the shepherd came up and said he bought 5 new sheep as they where selling for 250 grivners instead of 900 grv, apparently the market has been flooded because of the lack of winter food and NO green stuff....goat prices are even lower.......................................................
If only I could buy some hay....next yr I could be in the running with does for all those that sold them this yr.....I wondered why the butcher kept coming to me and asking if I wanted to buy goats off him......
hay Ho so to life, them that has and them that don’t.
oh and 1 guy has 1 cow and he spent $1000  on hay alone

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 05:38:29 AM »

I hate price gouging...  Angry  it's not costing them any more to bale the hay...  Angry  Because it's in short demand, I can understand a small increase in price, but not price gouging!!  Angry Angry

~ Birdie ~
Marta
Goat Genius

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 05:46:10 AM »

I think the same thing too Birdie. No one has bought the straw this yr so its sitting there in a stack and will go as rotten as the big round bales they made 4 yrs ago that to this day are getting smaller and smaller and blacker and blacker...... IF they had sold them for a proper price all that time ago they would have made sufficient amount of money, where as now they lost it all and the straw as well.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 06:29:57 AM »

any money in the pocket is better than compost unused. hahaha.  A fool and their money is soon departed.  Roll Eyes

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »

I hate the way the price gouging is going.  I understand they have to make money, but really???????

I have people that I buy from that are doing wha tthey can for me, but those that are charging like crazy, I will not buy from them again.  It will affect them sometime. 

Lori

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: