HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 10:05:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
Infrastructure change is complete!
Thank you for your cooperation.

Stats
23003 Posts in 1680 Topics by 837 Members
Latest Member: rwren8
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Pregnancy to weaning (Moderators: imalilbirdie, Candace, pearplum, nancy d, sweetgoats, Ace)
| | |-+  AT HOME PREGNANCY TEST
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: AT HOME PREGNANCY TEST  (Read 3159 times)
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« on: September 18, 2012, 04:36:22 AM »

www.twilcanada.com/bovipreg.php  Pregnancy tests for sheep, cows and goats.  Can be used 7-21 days after mating with a 98% accuracy rating.  $50.00 for 10 tests, $20.00 shipping.  Just thought I would share.  Seems a little pricey to me, but I guess if you need to know, it's a good price.

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Southern Louisiana

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:22:06 AM »

you know...it is pricey...but if they work, hey it's worth it, right?  Me, Myself and I, would probably just let nature take it's course, until the "new" wears off or is "proven" effective in what they claim it to be...I'm surprised it took them this long to figure out how to make a pregnancy test for livestock..hahaha.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 11:29:53 AM »

Where does it have the preg for goats? All I saw was  cattle and no mention of goats that I saw. Sad

Actually 50.00 for 10 is only 5.00 each. That's really not bad.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 04:05:32 PM »

My understanding is goats and cows throw off the same hormone when pregnant.  There is someone I know that has ordered these for her goats.  Will see how it works....If I had a doe that for some reason I didn't want bred, or there was a danger in her being pregnant, these would be nice to have on hand.  But just for the sake of knowing, I wouldn't spend that kind of money.

Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 02:09:34 PM »

www.twilcanada.com/bovipreg.php  Pregnancy tests for sheep, cows and goats.  Can be used 7-21 days after mating with a 98% accuracy rating.  $50.00 for 10 tests, $20.00 shipping.  Just thought I would share.  Seems a little pricey to me, but I guess if you need to know, it's a good price.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just keep them penned near the Buck?  I have my Pygmy buck next to my does ( 2 layers of cattle panels between for added security and peace of mind)    ( mine)   They are shameless in their behavior and leave no doubt in my mind.

That sounds pricey to me.  Is it a urine test?  I would be running behind them forever waiting for a pee!!
dragonlair
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 03:55:59 PM »

A lot of breeders who practice CAE prevention need to know the exact breeding date to know when to be there for kidding. Pregnancy tests are a must for most of them.

Some of my does will flirt with the bucks even when pregnant, so the buck is not always the best way of telling.

The at home test can use blood, urine and milk. I use the blood test that I send out. I do the CAE test and have them check for pregnancy from the same vial.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

Yes, it is a urine test. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: