HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 04:55:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Angoras STILL not showing heats
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Angoras STILL not showing heats  (Read 2222 times)
PrimroseAngoras
Bottle Babies

« on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »

Hi,  I have 3 Angora does and a buck.  One doe is 3 years old, the others (and the buck) were born Spring 2011.  They are all housed together and get along pretty well.  But why aren't these does getting breed?  I haven't seen any heat signs this Fall (flagging, standing,etc)  and no mounting by Mr Buck.  He seems quite able, as he stinks, decorates himself with his pee, and generally acts like a buck. 
So what's up?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »

It is still kind of early for heats.  Be patient and see what happens.  Sometimes housing a buck with the does just seems to slow things down.  The does are so used to the buck being with them, that they just don't come into heat when you expect.
At least with my dairy goats, the heats are just showing up and for us it is much to early to breed.  Breeding now would mean that I would have kids with possible frostbite and I really hate frostbitten ears!
taelir
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »

Where do you live? I know the weather has been SO freaky in a lot of areas that it can easily mess with heat cycles.
PrimroseAngoras
Bottle Babies

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »

I live in southern Wisconsin, where we had 100+ degree weather, then just hot.  Now the Fall feels like it's supposed to.  I thought length of day determined heats.  I shall be patient.  Thanks for your replies!
Candace
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »

When did you shear them? if you haven't, shear them. Crisp mornings will throw them into heat with, cooler weather, they are seasonal, it's cooler weather that prompts it.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »

They might of ben bred and you just never saw any signs.

It is not at all to early for heat season, all my girls are going in for cycle three now.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »

I've had a couple of does (mostly the weanlings) come in heat, but the adult does have not started. The bucks, on the other hand, have been ready since July.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
PrimroseAngoras
Bottle Babies

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:41:26 AM »

We sheared them two weeks ago.  From the responses here, I think the weather is the problem... it's just now being cool in the mornings.  And yes, the buck is ALWAYS ready Wink
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:43:39 AM by PrimroseAngoras » Logged
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

The past couple of years have been so messed up as far as the weather goes. I'm surprised anything is coming in heat! laugh

They best be starting in here soon. The bucks are driving me crazy and I want March kids!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: