HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 02:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19842 Posts in 1418 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Washing
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Washing  (Read 2687 times)
Julie
« on: September 24, 2012, 06:53:54 AM »

I was given 4 pounds of angora fiber for shearing two goats and now I'm learning to wash.  So some people say push the hair down in the water but others say don't agitate so isn't pushing down agitating?  I'm doing this by hand today since my washer is a front loader.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 10:03:30 AM »

Yep, if it is a front loader, you are right to do it by hand.

Some people say some special soap to use, I have used Dawn, and HOT HOT water.  Make it as hot as you can get it, and use like a wooden spoon to just push it down in the water.  Do that until the water gets cool, then drain the water and do it again until the waster is not dirty, then rinse it again until the soap is out.

Now I have heard of people putting the washed and rinsed fleece in the front loader just for the spin, BUT I am not sure about that, I have never heard if it was a good idea or not.

If not drain it the best you can and put it on like a screen or something to dry, and so you get the air on both sides. 

Good luck and let us know what you are going to do with it when it is all clean and ready to use. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
taelir
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 10:48:23 AM »

I just hand wash in the sink to be safe. Pushing the fiber down is okay, what you want to avoid is forcing fibers to really rub against each other (like agitation would do). That's what causes felting. Well....that combined with heat.

Another thing to keep in mind with fiber is never shock it with rapid temperature changes of any kind. Dumping it immediately in hot water isn't a good idea, nor is rinsing it with cold after it's been in hot water. I put mine in a huge steel stock pot on the stove, and bring the water up to temp that way, then I carefully pour it into the sink to wash it because it's easier to do there than in the stock pot.

Dawn does work fine if you don't want to use the higher end stuff. I use Synthrapol now but in the beginning I used Dawn and had no problems.

To dry it out, I personally avoid the spin cycle but I'm a worrywart like that. I drain the sink, and gently press on the fiber to push out as much water as I can there. Then I lay it into a giant bath towel, and roll the towel up and stand on it or press hard to soak up more water. Then just let it air dry the rest of the way and you're done!

I did get your second email! I've just been swamped with 4-H record books. I'm putting that spindle and some merino into the mail for you in the next couple days! Just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you Smiley
Julie
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »

Thanks!  Well this week has been busy with all things goats!  I am going to the Tulsa fair for a few days to show my Nubians so have been packing the trailer.  Plus washing the fiber I have.  Got the white washed and have gone threw picking out all the little left over vm out that I missed before.  I would like to go farther with this fiber but not sure what to do next.  Don't have any dog brushes to do carding with even if I did understand it.  Then what roving batting?  I'm lost.  Then would like to sell it since I can't knit.  All help apperciate.
taelir
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 09:17:14 PM »

You can always sell it as cleaned fiber that still needs to be carded or combed. The nice thing about that is it gives other fiber artists the chance to dye and blend it however they see fit.

Dog slickers do work good for carding if you decide to give it a shot. Maybe just go on your local Freecycle and post a wanted ad for 2 dog slickers and see if anyone has some they'd be willing to give up? You can do pencil roving pretty easily with dog slickers.

It can't hurt to list some fleece online (craft sites like Artfire are great) and see what kind of response you get. I might be up for buying some from you too so I can blend it for my own spinning projects. I LOVE dyeing fiber Smiley
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:44:30 AM »

Thanks!  Well this week has been busy with all things goats!  I am going to the Tulsa fair for a few days to show my Nubians so have been packing the trailer.  Plus washing the fiber I have.  Got the white washed and have gone threw picking out all the little left over vm out that I missed before.  I would like to go farther with this fiber but not sure what to do next.  Don't have any dog brushes to do carding with even if I did understand it.  Then what roving batting?  I'm lost.  Then would like to sell it since I can't knit.  All help apperciate.

When you go to Tulsa..you're only 3 hours from my farm in AR!!  how cool is that? Smiley  Good luck at the fair..take lots of pictures, and come back with lots of stories. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Julie
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »

Where are you in Ar?  I'm in Pawnee about an hour 20 mins to Tulsa fair grounds.  We need to meet up sometime when I'm not hurting so much.  So where is the folder for I've fallen and need help up?
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »

Grin Grin  Julie, I'm living in southern Louisiana now.  I still own my farm in AR...my farm is in Pea Ridge.  We've decided not to sell it, and keep it to return to, when we retire and can come home.  I make 3 to 4 trips a year back to AR.  We'll probably go back to AR, Dec 10th...that's when my second grand baby is due to be born...it's a c-section birth, so the date is pretty much set for him to be born on.

~ Birdie ~
Julie
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:31:33 PM »

Maybe we can meet up someplace.  Oh I'm so sore feel down while feeding scared my granddaughter so bad she saw me down came screaming to me.  Only 9 and tiny she went and got my folding chair from the truck for me to help me get up.  It's pretty painful and has slowed me down.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 05:49:15 AM »

Oh Julie...you must be sore after a fall like that...take it slow and easy today...as long as the animals have food and water, they'll be fine for a day...you rest and get yourself healed up.

~ Birdie ~
Julie
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 05:43:39 AM »

We are at the fair for a few days.  Still sore not as bad as the first day.  We go home Friday.   Just have 4 dairy goats here but hope to see some good stuff in the buildings when we are done today.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: