HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 11:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Winter leash training?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Winter leash training?  (Read 2676 times)
Earlyriser
Goataholic

« on: September 28, 2012, 02:47:45 AM »

I'm just starting to leash train a six month old wether with hopes of training him to pack next year. What challenges will a Michigan winter bring or should I wait until spring to start training when he will be a year old?
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:37:51 AM »

I woud think that a Pack goat needs to be able to follow in all conditions, so as long as it is ok to be outside, then I would work all winter with him.
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:51:35 AM »

I woud think that a Pack goat needs to be able to follow in all conditions, so as long as it is ok to be outside, then I would work all winter with him.
Rocky

Yep I ditto that. Smiley

Goats do not like to be out in the rain...I'm laying odds you won't either knowing how cold that rain is...so don't expect him to want to learn any thing out in the rain.  Snow doesn't bother them so bad, some except it, and some hate it.  Just work with your boy slowly and make all his training sessions a positive lesson and he'll want more and more of it when he sees you coming with the halter and leash. Smiley

Just a note..and not saying you'll do this...BUT..just a tip here...Please do not tie your goats up to a tether line or any other fashion of tying them up...Goats panic, and spook and hit the end of the tie out line and snap their necks very easily...so please don't tie them up.

~ Birdie ~
Earlyriser
Goataholic

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »

just getting him used to a collar and leash, walking him around the yard. Rewarding him with just a few grain pellets to keep him focused.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 03:14:27 AM »

try a halter instead of a collar...you'll find it easier and he'll be more comfortable in it.  Plus it won't put pressure on the neck.

Say you're gonna have to share some pictures of these Kiko's you own...my passion is the Kiko...Rockytopsis has Percentage Kiko, and she trains for cart and halter leading...

Yep, you gotta love the gentle giants of the Kiko world...a good wether goat..worth his weight in gold!!!

~ Birdie ~
Earlyriser
Goataholic

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:00:04 AM »

Pics are tough with dial up internet but yea we love our Kikos too.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 07:51:42 AM »

I have been working with Shaq since he was 3 months old. He has done 7 Farm City Days, ( all 4th graders in the city schools), about 10 or more parades, 7 Pumpkin towns, ( area wide festival ) 1 Fried Green Tomato festival (area wide also), 1 birthday party, 1 Moo Fest (another area wide festival).

Just take baby steps with your guy. As soon as he has one task down pat, introduce him to another. Shaq is used to just about anything. The only thing that I have found he just wont tollerate is the noise of a near by generator.

Rocky
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 07:54:43 AM by Rockytopsis » Logged

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »

love it, absolutely love it Nancy!! Smiley

~ Birdie ~
Earlyriser
Goataholic

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:22:58 AM »

I think the leash was information overload. I have put a halter on Max and am just getting him to follow me. It has taken a while but he will leave the yard without getting too jumpy  or getting overly distracted by his next morsel. If I get too far ahead he catches up quickly just to score another taste of whatever is in my pocket. I'll probably try the leash again after a few more days of getting used to the halter.
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 06:02:32 AM »

Yup baby steps and we need pictures please Smiley
Rocky

Earlyriser
Goataholic

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 03:24:14 AM »

Dial up and pics are tough, we are working towards something faster and then I will post pics. Letting the goats out of the pen and having them just hang out while you are outside is the real reward because my goat raising seems to be just an expensive hobby. Even if I screw up the training I will still keep goat proofing the shop so he can rattle safely around while I'm working. I'm maintaining high hopes for the pack though, I think the cart would require too much discipline on my part not the goats.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: