HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 08:58:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19532 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Nits lice ?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Nits lice ?  (Read 6488 times)
Julie
« on: October 13, 2012, 06:06:59 AM »

I finished all I can on my white fleece it's beautiful.  Now started on the gray/silver.  I had washed it and was picking threw it getting left over vm out and found nits, little lice eggs.  Now what do I do?  There was non that I saw in the white.  Her fleece is a much finner softer silky like feel to it.  The grey doesn't feel as nice it's soft but not silky fine.  Do I pick them all out?  Toss it all? 
Advice needed.
Julie
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:35:04 PM »

Julie,  Are you talking about that Angora fleece (Mohair) that you have?

It is fine, I would pick the VM out as much as you can and wash it again.  How did you wash it before?  It is not at all uncommon to see that in mohair, there fleece is so thick that they do tend to get that more then most other fiber goat ONLY because it is thick and those little buggers can get down under the fleece.

Don't throw it out at all, and if you really want to , send it my way.   Grin  really it is going to be fine. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Julie
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »

So glad your back missed you! 
I washed it hot water with HE laundry soap and Dawn first wash rinsed hot water soaked again 25 mins with Dawn rinsed and one last time rinse and soaked squeezed out gently with a towel.  I'm surprized how many nits there are.  Do you think one more wash will get them out?  I'm sure they are dead but still yuck!  Nits!  I will clean it best I can and hope to sell it.
Thanks
Julie
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »

Thanks you.  Wink
  Sounds like you are doing the right thing.

I have to say, I use that HE laundry soap, I LOVE it.  (sorry just had to say.

i would wash it again, fill it with the HOT water, and use what ever you are to keep pushing it in the water, let that HOT water really work the fiber, and drain and repeat until the soap is out.

now I have used the washing machine several times and left the fiber in there and put it on the spin cycle, NOT ADGATATE, just spin, to get that water out, then spread it out to dry.

I know those bugs are so nasty, but I am SURE they are dead with the hot water.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »

What is HE laundry detergent?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
taelir
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 10:00:30 PM »

you can also wait til you comb it - combing (not carding) should remove any leftover VM or junk. I would wait til it's totally dry, then try to separate the locks a bit and give them a good hard shake, then go through the combing process if you have combs. definitely don't toss it!! there are always people who will use it. Smiley
Julie
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 06:20:58 AM »

HE is for front load washer low suds.
I will rewash it one more time and then use a flea comb to see if I can get most of the nits out.
Thanks
Julie
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:50:16 AM »

i think Julie you should post a picture of this beautiful fleece. 

DE, is super concentrated, and it lasts for ever.  Best laundry soap I have ever used, it gets more stains out then anything I have used. 

Lori

Julie
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 06:05:29 AM »

I would love to but don't know how. 
I've been told in the past that animal Lice and nits are species spacific does anyone know if it's true with the angora goats too?
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »

I would say they are goat specific.  Years ago at the County someone brought a Pygmy goat in that was covered in lice of fleas can not remember now.  Everyone one was up in arms over it, but they said no other animals will get them, they were goat specific. 

a few years ago also, when we were done showing and the hog show started they found fleas, they were trying to say they were from out show, the judge put a stop to that right away, he said NO that can not happen, someones hog here has them. 

Lori

Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »

Usually lice (sometimes fleas) are animal specific. 
Julie
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:50 PM »

Oh thank you sooo much!  My granddaughter has been scratching and we found nits on her I have treated her got them all,,, I think.  I was feeling really bad that I could have possibly brought lice into the home.  Found a few on my hair too.  We both have long hair hers is thick and long so took hours to pick threw it all.  Poor girl. 
taelir
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:28:37 PM »

Just be careful with a flea comb, the teeth are so fine that they may end up grinding the nits in harder. Combing with wool combs is a totally different thing - the tines are spaced out much farther and when you pull the fibers through, the little bits generally fall right out.

Speaking of combs, I'm paying one of my 4-H'ers to make me a hackle and comb set (as one of his woodworking projects this year). I'm sure we could talk him into additional sets Wink
Julie
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:17 AM »

What is that hackle and comb set ?
taelir
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:53 AM »

What is that hackle and comb set ?

This site explains it a bit and shows a lot of photos:

http://www.bluemountainhandcrafts.com/6/post/2012/02/comb-and-hackle-set-part-1-the-basics.html

I'm going to work with my 4-H'er on our own design for the hackle and comb set, but it'll be similar to some of what this woman's husband builds. I still need to find a better material for the tines, though - bought some box nails but I'm not real happy with them.

The hackle and comb willl definitely remove VM (or nits in this case). It's basically pulling the fibers apart and aligning them in the same direction. The loose junk just falls out in the process.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: