HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 01:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat weight estimation chart
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Goat weight estimation chart  (Read 24358 times)
Sandie
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2008, 12:00:02 AM »

I've used a weigh tape for years and they are plenty accurate enough for dosing meds when needed. mine has been real close on  what it says on every kid I ever put on the scale at the same time.  never more than a pound difference between the tape and the scale so they are accurate up to around 50 pounds I can say for sure.  And it hasn't mattered if they were dairy, meat, mini, or fiber breeds.  When they get bigger than 50 pounds i don't lift them up to weigh them anymore   Grin
heavenlyhaven
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 09:07:19 AM »

so you measure behind the front legs, up and over the withers...?
DH has been a farmer forever and can look at something and tell how much it weighs
he is never off by more than 5# so i just say
It's worming time... (or whatever)
and stand there with pen and paper
he looks out the kitchen window and starts
Bambi X#'s
Tillie X#'s
etc
 Grin
cariboujaguar
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 01:39:24 PM »

hahah my husband won't trust the tape, he tries to pick the goats up LOL it's really funny, he's too manly to admit he can't lift the bigger ones too :p When we were traveling home with our new buck we'd stop at every rest area to let him out to walk around and he made a ton of friends all along the west coast! Then my husband would try to force him back into the back of the explorer and get all frustrated because the goat would balk and he weighted a bunch anyways. He got all grumpy and marched off and I gently patted Avatars butt and cooed him into jumping in they praised him. From then on he'd jump right in and out everytime and boy was hubby jealous LOL
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 03:50:04 PM »

I've used a weigh tape for years and they are plenty accurate enough for dosing meds when needed. mine has been real close on  what it says on every kid I ever put on the scale at the same time.  never more than a pound difference between the tape and the scale so they are accurate up to around 50 pounds I can say for sure.  And it hasn't mattered if they were dairy, meat, mini, or fiber breeds.  When they get bigger than 50 pounds i don't lift them up to weigh them anymore   Grin

Sandie,   that is good to know.  I have been told by several people that the tapes are ONLY for dairy goats. 
  I am still trying to find out how on earth the tape new what type of goat it was.   :biggrin

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Kayla223
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 11:01:44 AM »

ug... Glad it works for u all. It never works on mine! I always have to just weigh them with our house scale!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 11:03:43 AM »

Our small ones up to 75lbs we weight on the scales..or I do anyway..when they reach 100lbs that's a little taxing on my body so I weight tape them..and per my vets advise "add 10 pounds" to the weight the tape shows.  It's worked ok so far. Thank goodness. 

~ Birdie ~
heather
Goataholic

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 05:29:11 PM »

Now if only they made a tape like that for people so I wouldn't have to step on a scale.....

Let's see....32 inches.... 125 lbs. Only for women who love ice cream though  Grin

Who are these kids & why are they calling me "maaaa"?
harmon_farms
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 06:54:20 PM »

I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to say this chart works great! I did all my goats last night, and found their weights by the chart. I then weighed several of them (heaviest, lightest, and a few in the middle) on our scales, and the chart was right on almost every time. It was never off by more than 5 pounds. So, a good old sewing tape measure and this chart work great. Smiley Thanks again for it!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 06:08:35 AM »

Rachel, you want your med's dosed closer than a 5 pound discrepancy.  5lbs too little can be just as bad as 5lbs too much.  Example; if you're using Valbazen, you want to be no more than 1lb either way.  If you're using Ivomec, 5lbs isn't so bad, unless it's 5lbs less. 

5lbs is a big difference.

~ Birdie ~
Cartref
Caprine Guru

Australia

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:59 AM »

I have just had reason to use the chart and found it spot on even after converting inches to cm and lbs to kg.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: