HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 05:10:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19860 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Predator woes......
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Predator woes......  (Read 2809 times)
brudahpete
Bottle Babies

« on: January 29, 2013, 09:40:18 AM »

Ok, so I'm new to this forum but certainly not new to barnyard and free range critters.  It seems that the "GREENIES" have taken over what took the settlers years to eradicate! My neck of the woods here in Northeastern Arizona is a sparsely populated region with plenty of forests, mountains, plains & open range land.  We have always had to deal with predators here.  Recently, (the last decade) our government has reintroduced the Mexican Wolf to the White Mountains of Arizona.  Just last Saturday night, my son & I had an encounter with a 200 lb male of this kind within 150 yards of my house!  I used to figure that a good tight fence and a solid coral was sufficient.  I have discovered that I need to lock my goats in a barn at night has become necessary with this untimely visit and another visit by a mountain lion just 2 months ago in my front yard!  

Back when I was young, we kept the predator's population under better control, it has become so impossible to keep them at bay with all of the influx of newcomers to my hometown. Embarrassed  Anybody having these kinds of issues?  Wish me luck! Lol!
Ace
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:43:21 AM »

There are "heavier" breeds of Livestock Guard Dogs (LGD) that are suitable for the species of predators that you and your animals are up against.  A LGD and a gun (if it's permissible to protect from the wolves) are the best defense to add to strong fencing.

Best of luck to you for sure.  It's not a matter if you'll have issues, it's a matter of when.
taelir
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

We don't have large predators, but we have high volumes of coyotes and it's not uncommon for us to hear 3-4 packs surrounding our place at the same time. It's unnerving for sure! I can't imagine having to deal with wolves or mountain lions (although we're supposed to have them here, thankfully have not seen one yet).

I second the suggestion of large LGD's. It probably wouldn't be wise to have just one, though, as wolves aren't usually alone. Candace here is a Great Pyrenees breeder (a few of us have dogs from her and can attest to how knowledgeable she is, and the quality of her dogs)...I'm sure she can hop in here to give some more advice.

Aside from that? Yeah, go with the guns. There's a reason we keep spotlights and scoped rifles nearby LOL. I would imagine there are laws in place that allow you to 'remove' predators that are threatening your livestock...
Candace
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 04:39:10 PM »

We have cougars here too, that is why I have the pyrs; never be without them. They were bred to deal with wolves and bears, but you need more than one to do this esp with big predators.

I would be scared chitless if I were to see what you said you did, being as he was that close, i'd be very very concerned. 
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:28 PM »

I'd go with the dogs too. I have 2 Pyrs who will die for this farm. They want to protect it all.

I had a coyote come calling at 0300 on Sunday morning. It was laughing hysterically right behind my barn. (it sounded just like a Hyena) The Malamutes went crazy howling at it, trying to get out of their pen, and my 2 Pyrenees went nutso trying to get outside to go after the coyote.  Given that it was below 0 and I really didn't want to get out of bed, the pyrs had to protect from inside my house. Between the bellowing of the Pyrs and the howling of the Mals, the coyote took off and hasn't been back.

The goats were locked in the barn (due to the weather) and the poultry are locked in heavy chain kennels, so there wasn't any danger at that time. If the goats had been outside, I would have let the Pyrs do their job up close and personal.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 08:23:01 AM »

I'm with every one else...I do believe in the Livestock guardian dogs!!  We have bobcats, wild hogs, coyotes, coons, and possiums here...not to mention numerous poisonous snakes, as well as aerial preditors (eagles, hawks, and owls)...I won't have goats without a good LGD.  One lives with me in my house too!!  His name is Samson, and a true to life comedian!! hehehe.

~ Birdie ~
brudahpete
Bottle Babies

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 08:45:25 AM »

Well, we haven't had another visit since the wolf came through last month..... We strengthened the fencing & have begun a good barn to get all of my critters in for the nights.  All of the neighborhood is on the lookout too.  I talked to a Game & Fish Ranger about it & was told that we have 4 or more regulars that come through the area.  I'm only allowed to shoot if one is actually on my property and messing with my livestock...... Grrrrr Angry  It's Federally protected.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »

Look for your predators to get worse around kidding season...once they smell the smell of fresh birthing fluids, they come in to inspect, and then pack up and make their kill.

I do strongly advise you to get some guardian dogs...wolves are like every other predator..when they are hungry, they are fierce killing machines.

~ Birdie ~
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

NPGA Pygmy Goats Pelion,SC

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 05:30:13 PM »

I wish i was closer to you i would contribute a few good dogs to the cause. I us a cross breed of Pyrs and Australian Sheppard. They are smaller then pure PYRS but what they lack in size they make up in attitude. They are more agile and work well with my Pyrs. It's a team thing.
Valley View
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

We have been blessed so far to not deal with predators here in middle TN. Last night, we heard coyotes in the distance. We do have a great Pyranese but he just hangs around the house and roams on the outside of the goat pasture. He refuses to stay with the goats, but when push comes to shove, I have a feeling he will do his job.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: