HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:14:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Having a great Kidding season so far
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: Having a great Kidding season so far  (Read 6174 times)
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

NPGA Pygmy Goats Pelion,SC

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:13 AM »

Well things didn't go as planned last night. I guess Diva didn't get the memo.  With the weather change i expected her to progress fast just as the others did. Diva's sister was done from start to finish within an hour. She did loose her plug but stopped right there. She never went into labor. I was up every two hours last night and at 7 am there were contractions but they were over 30 minutes apart. My daughter has been watching her all day and the contractions are still over 20 minutes apart.  My other two girls Daisy May and Mira Jane took over a birthing pen ;ast night as of this morning they were nesting and the ligs aren't visable but have shown no evidence of discharge. They both should go with in 48 to 72 hours if they do the same as last season.  Me and the girls are gonna have to have a talk. They need to get their plans together so that they birth on the weekends. That is if they want me to be there so they can lay in my lap. These darn bottle babies and so darn spoiled. They do so much better when i am there with them. It only works for me not the wife of or kids if i am not there they stress a great deal more and are unconfortable after delivery. We really have to watch to make sure they don't step on the kids. All the girls block family from getting to the kids until they are 1 to 2 weeks old. Me i can do what every i want. It is funny i guess it is because i was they for them when they were born and one of the first things they saw.

countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 12:36:39 PM »

Just got an EMERGENCY call from my daughter at 1334. LMAO Diva just had her first kid. All i know is it is back. Diva isn't happy and is attacking my daughter when she goes into the barn. See there is another one that didn't get the memo.  She has claimed the same birthing pen she was born in and is defending it tooth and nail. My poor daughter is as scared as Diva is.
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »

Well Miss Diva had a 4lb 4 oz Doeling  the pic isn't great. i Can't believe no bucks yet but it looks like black is the color for this year. Will get some closeup pics of the kids this weekend if the weather holds out. With all these doelings i should have no problem trading for a new buck to bring some new blood into the heard. I was offered a great chocolate buckling last year by one of the fellow breeders in Georgia but i just couldn't take a $500 buck and she would not let me pay for him. I will feel better now that i can trade a good registered doeling.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 05:49:10 PM by countryluvnfarms » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 06:34:50 AM »

awww...again you've melted my heart!!  I love those pygmy's.  Congratulations!!!

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 07:48:44 AM »

Wow. Congratulations. What I wouldn't give to know your recipe for all does. Well, at least for a year or two.  Smiley

Forgot to say your babies are beautiful. Keep the pictures coming, since I don't have any babies coming I must live through all of you this year.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 07:50:43 AM by blessednest » Logged

Central Ohio
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »

I wish I knew the secret as well. I did change some things I was doing. The first season 2011 I followed every rule. The end result was one doe Dixie had dark caramel doeling and buckling. Mira Jane had two does a black Agouti and a Medium caramel. The problem with her was birth weight issues. The Agouti (Moonshine) weighed 3lb 4 oz. but the dark Caramel (Miny Me) only weighed 1lb 4oz.  She was a challenge I knew in my heart it was best to let her pass but I just couldn't do it after several months she began to thrive but she was so far behind in body weight compared with her sister. She is still on the very bottom of the standards scale in weight and body size. I am scared to breed her because of that issue. My third Doe (Daisy) is the one I had the most issue with she had triplets but all were dead. The first kid was a buck and weighed almost 6 lbs. I really struggled to get him out. You guys here was a great help to me during that period. The other two Kids were under developed and only weighed slightly over a lb.  The fourth Dow (Pearl) conceived but aborted at 3 months. All of this greatly concerned me I felt that I had failed to do the right things to prepare my does and failed to provide the right environment for successful breeding.  In 20012 I read everything I could I took all advice to the point of information overload BIG MISTAKE. All does did conceive but by four months all had aborted. I was so disgusted with myself.  I looked for any reason. If you read you will see where some folks say pine trees in a pasture can cause low birth weights. I talked to no one did some soul searching and reevaluated my past two season's issues. The only logical cause for my pour results is that I was over doing it. So this season 2013 I started from scratch I changed the feed to a meat goat pellet. The does trimmed down. This was the first step in the right direction. As far as meds go I only used the minimum CDT remained on schedule. Selenium supplement I used far less as to not OD. Worming is where I did the major change. I was doing it on a schedule. I changed that I now worm as needed and only then. I have taken in samples to the vet to have them checked and everything is good.  Pre Birth and Post birth supplements and meds I have done the same as other seasons. My does have maintained better body size, their coats are slick and shiny.  All does have had a much easier time this year and the birth weights have been where I needed them. All kids except one weighed from 3lb to 4.4lbs.  I may be wrong in some of you guy's opinion but what I think is that instead of reading so much and looking for answers in the printed word I have had better success when I read the Goat and let her/him tell me what is needed and then back things up with the vet when there is a question. The advice you guys and some local breeders gave I used the wrong way. You advice I should have used in how to properly read my goats and implement a plan to meet their needs. I didn't do that I took it all and rolled it into a plan which I think I over did it with. I hope what I have written does not offend anyone. I didn’t talk to you guys about my particular situation to get tailored advice I just read everything in the forums and even more form other sites. You guys were 100% correct I just used it way too wrong.  Thanks again for all of you guy's advice and support. I hope I got it right now and will continue to have successful breeding seasons. In short I think new breeders (ME) over do things wanting to do our best for our babies; in the end our efforts can have the opposite effect.  If you new breeders read this listen to these folks you can only get the right answer if you ask the right question. Learn your animals and what to look for. Don’t do as I did losing your kids isn’t the way any of us want to learn it is heart breaking. Thanks again folks for your support I am sure I will have many more questions but this time I will ask the right ones.
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »

The largest contributor to my confusion was local breeders. I have two pygmy breeders within 30 miles of me. I know I must have driven them crazy. In my view the information I received from them would more closely match mine. WRONG AGAIN. Even though they are close to me, my breeding environment was drastically different. The stressors my goats were exposed to were different. The human interaction my goats were exposed to was different. I had to do a great deal of work to create a comfortable environment for my breeders so that they felt safe. The supplements and dosages I needed were different. Selenium is one of the big ones. The other two breeders and severely deficient in it and I am on the border of the zone. The local vet helped me with that. She recommended that I bring in a trailer load (2 tons) of clay for a Selenium rich zone. Sort of like deer will go to these areas and salt licks to get what they need. Well with the goats I have them in a fence and they can't. If I provided them a natural source they would only take what they need. So far the goats as I said before look great and all the blood work shows their needs are being met.  Do a good evaluation of your farm and look for natural ways to help them meet their own needs.  Please note this isn't the answer for you it is just what I have done. So please don't take it as the gospel. I only have 3 years’ experience with breeding goats and I guess I will always be looking for the right answer.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 10:04:11 AM by countryluvnfarms » Logged
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »

Wow all those doelings.  That is super.  So so cute!  Thanks for sharing all the pictures!

Elizabeth
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »

Well we just finished up with Mira Jane she had two beautiful  Dark Caramel Kids. Yes another Doeling and the First Buckling for our farm in three years of trying. Needless to say "Country Luvn Farms Booga Bottom" Will not be leaving the farm. Here are the most current pics of them, the first is the buckling the second the doeling. She did really well With the first Kid which was the buckling. Went into labor and 20 minutes at 1100 he was Born. The second kids i had to work hard at At 2:30 she was still unable to pass her. So i had to go into action. She was first coming upside down with  the head pinned back. I managed to get her turned over but could not get the head up. one leg was out and the other pinned back. After several times trying and with no movement from the kid i was sure it was dead. Finally my daughter was able to get the head forward into the birth canal, but one leg was still pinned back. After several attempts we finally got the other leg. My poor Mira was spent and had nothing left. While trying to pull the kid with Mira on her side it would not budge. I had my daughter hold Mira on he feet with her arms under her belly the i was able to pull the kid up and out. This was at 4pm. To my surprise a few seconds after the kid was out with no movement she finally took a breath. Me immediately cleaned her off and sucked out the mouth an nose. After several minutes she started to respond. I would have never believed that kid would have survived after 5 hours of labor. her tongue was swollen so getting milk in her was a challenge and finally i had to use the week kid tube. After getting 1/2 oz of milk in her she has steadily improved.  I just went out for the next feeding she was able to take the bottle on her own. Mira is still too week  to even stand for them to eat. I have dose her up and give her some comfort food (Animal Crackers) to make her feel better. When i went out to feed a few minutes ago i was able to get an ounce into each kid and being that Mira Jane was also a bottle baby i gave her a few ounces also. She was real happy with that and acted just like the kids butting an utter. You can't help but love these Minny's.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 07:33:40 AM »

How beautiful is that?  I adore that buckling...when you're done with him, I WANT HIM!! hahaha.  As a wether though. Smiley Congratulations!

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 02:27:52 PM »

WOW, you have bred to a bucjk that only believed in girl sperm that is for sure.

They are just adorable, all of them.  Congratulations. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 10:30:33 AM »

Things aren't going good today The little doeling that we had a hard time birthing initially was doing better but this morning she was laid out and not moving much. I took her away was was able to get her to suckle some but she is week. her cry is week. So i us the week kid tube and got 1/2 oz of milk in her. I had to hold her up but she did pee and poop pee was clear and the poop looked normal for a two day old. I can't explain it other then it was meant to be. She had begun nursing from mom yesterday and look good last  night at 10 pm at 6am she was on deaths door.  I am hoping for the best but it doesn't look good.
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 12:33:39 PM »

Well regardless of all our effort she passed. The little buck is doing good i am a little concerned about his stool it isn't as firm as i would like him.  It isn't forming any balls so i am going to watch him closely. He is very active  right now but i have had it where they were doing well and within 5 hours they were headed down hill.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »

check your mom...usually when their is a sick kid, then the mom is sick too.  Check body temp's before putting warm milk into a baby with a sub normal body temp...if their temp is below 100 degrees don't give milk to them...instead give them warm molasses water or warm karo syrup water...electrolytes if you can.  I use the mixture...equal parts molasses/karo--black coffee--and whiskey...giving a mini baby about 1cc' check body temp in 30 minutes and if it's up then give milk.

Sorry to hear you lost the little girl...that's so sad. Sad

~ Birdie ~
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 08:28:09 AM »

I did body temp was good  on day one. She had a difficult birth I was expecting the doeling to be dead being it took 4 hours to get her out.  To my surprise she began breathing. Body temp was normal for the first 24 hours. Day two the body temp started to drop. The barn temp stays in 70s and there are heat lamp for the kids. I couldn't get her to take  anything so i did the Karo with week kid syringe and brought her inside Andi kept her on my chest under my shirt to give body warmth and continued to check the temp but she never came back. The little buckling's stool is still pasty so i have to make sure it stays clean. The mom will not clean it, all she does is smell it. I know that something is wrong with him just like the doeling. His temp is good but i did the Karo on him anyway. I am taking them both to the vet to see if i can get to the bottom of this. Regardless this will be her last breeding season. With the second difficult birthing season for her i think it is the right choice.  The little buckling is very active and will drink milk just not allot at a time. As soon as i feed him he will poop but like i said is pasty yellow. Hopefully the vet can get to the bottom of the issue. When i talked to her she asked the same about the temp and said to do the Karo. then wait until the next feeding and do 1cc nutridrench to 1oz milk. This morning at 2am the color of his stool was still yellow and somewhat pasty but it was dropping off. We will see and i will post the findings. I am really thinking the problem is with the mom and her milk. i don't like using milk re placer unless i have to. I am going to milk off a few of the does that only have one kid and use it until i can get to the bottom of it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: