HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2017, 02:02:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19694 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Vet Clinic (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Dopram-V a medication used on premature born babies...etc
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Dopram-V a medication used on premature born babies...etc  (Read 2247 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« on: February 16, 2013, 07:43:55 AM »

Dopram-V, is the medication that Ms Cindy told me about. 

I've done the research on it and have found this to be one miraculous drug.  Receiving high comments from both dog/cat/livestock owners, on just how good it is. 

It states that this medication is given orally, under the tongue.. according to Mercks Online Vet manual, stimulates the respiratory response when given shortly after birth and aides in clearing out excess fluids, as well as aiding in Sleep Apnea, and is used on premature babies, as well as babies born breech, or babies born from a difficult delivery.  When I did more research into this, the one calf we had born back on our farm in 2007 was a breech difficult delivery...he was born alive, but soon his heart stopped...our Vet gave him a shot of something under his tongue...so I went back to my livestock paper work and looked it up and sure enough, on my bill it is "Dopram-V" that they gave to him.

Not to say this drug will save all premature babies born, but if it saves just one baby, it's worth having it around.  We never know when that premature baby will be born, or the difficult delivery will face us down, or even a breech delivery is not at all uncommon...Do your research before making your decision...I'll doing more research and speaking with Practicing Vets about it...and what I find out, I'll share with all of you.

So without further ado...I'm going to give you the links that I researched and you can decide for yourself if you want this in your vet box or not...in my personal opinion, any breeder should have this in their vet boxes...(btw..this drug is used on humans as well...infants and premature human babies).

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Dopram-V-5ml/productinfo/DOPRAM/

this one is very important...it explains what it is and what it's used for...but don't let it scare you with the studies that were done...it scared me too, until I started researching it more, and found that they have came a long way with the proper dosages..verbal comments from those that do use it on premature baby goats, have been 3 drops under the tongue at birth...
http://www.drugs.com/vet/dopram-v-injectable.html

~ Birdie ~
jbowen
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »

Thank you!!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: