HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  woodland paddocks?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: woodland paddocks?  (Read 2462 times)
MollyBelle
Bouncing Babies

« on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:10 PM »

The land the bf and I will be building the future barn on has both forest and small grazing area...I think out main pasture will be the small grassy area, but then we have 9 acres of forest. The forest is not dense, its more of a hardwood Oak/Maple and some birch/pines mixed in...the goats could have a lot of space if we wanted to fence it for them..but how common is it to fence them in a wooded area. We'd also check the areas for poisonous plants, but if we missed any would there be a huge risk? How many of you keep your goats in a forested area and have had success?

Molly & Belle
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

Well ya...if you have woods then that's perfect for goats...the toxic plants, that's serious business...that can kill them...so you need to go through that with a fine tooth comb and rid the plants the best you can BEFORE you fence it and put them in there...use Round-Up to kill it...dig the root bare, and spray it good with round-up so it kills quick and deep.  You can't risk poisonous plants around any livestock animal..and goats are just ones you can not trust "not" to eat it.  The goat is a browser, not a grazer...the woodland is a perfect place to let them be...however, watch your preditor's..they love the woodland too. 

~ Birdie ~
MollyBelle
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »

The other thing im curious about are the oaks and maples. There are all around the property...I imagine if we keep the area raked in the fall and keep the acorns cleaned up we'll be okay...any one have issued with these?

Molly & Belle
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »

The problem you might have with predators is of concern.  Make sure the wooded area isn't so thick that coyotes can't attack.  I personally wouldn't put my goats in an area that was relatively dense because of that attack.
You don't have to rake up an area like that.  If the goats eat a few acorns or oak leaves, it isn't going to hurt them any.  Maples aren't a problem.
MollyBelle
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »

great! good to know! ...Its not a bush dense area thankfully, its quite open but heavily wooded with trees, seems like perfect goat territory with ridges and hills et. I dont think wed go to far into the woods mostly just behind the house up to a little stream and rock ledge and back, the wooded area we'd have for them  would probably be less than half and acre give or take some.... They would only be outside in the day then locked in the barn at night...I fear peoples loose dogs in the day over the coyotes...there are some big bull mastifs 2 houses down that get loose sometimes...not sure how I feel about that. I think we would probably have a nice secure fence close to the barn in the grassy area with electric wire around the outside to keep those big dogs out then I would probably only let them in the forest enclosure when im home or cleaning in their pen et so I could keep an eye on them. Im hoping our secure fencing will be enough! those dogs arent very nice Sad they kill turkey back there every winter and the male is a nasty old boy who doesnt like people. The female is okay though, shes a quiet sweet dog. I blame most of the mischeif on the male, hes just fiesty.

Molly & Belle
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

Here in Maine, you can shoot a predator dog (loose) if it is threatening your livestock.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:41 AM »

I think that's par for the entire nation...if a neighbors dog is a threat or taunting your animals, you have the right to shoot and kill that animal...I've done it before and have done it already where we are now, and I don't have livestock here yet...this is why it's so important to have a LGD...absolutely very important.  Putting them out there without constant protection would be setting them up to be killed.

Acorns are bad if they eat too many...a few won't hurt...but too many and they can become impacted, and that impaction can kill them...not to mention the talon increase in their bodies isn't good for them either.  Oak leaves are good for them, they can have all those they want, and Maples, they won't hurt them either.

~ Birdie ~
MollyBelle
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:21:28 AM »

We cant have a dog, but how do people feel about an aplacas for a guard animal? Any success?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:03:53 PM by MollyBelle » Logged

Molly & Belle
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »

Alpacas tho cute are not used as guard animals.  Llamas on the other hand are.  You don't want alpacas.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: