HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 06:02:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat not feeling well
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: Goat not feeling well  (Read 4537 times)
kristina
Bottle Babies

« on: March 12, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »

My yearling is not feeling very well, and I can't seem to pinpoint the problem.  Hope someone can help; here are his symptoms.
For 2 days now he has refused to eat his grain; he usually gobbles it right up.
He is grazing a little and eating a little orchard grass
His movements are slow, and he has been hanging around me instead of playing with his friends out at pasture like he usually does.
I noticed a little loose stool but not severe diarrhea
He is just not acting normal, I can tell something is wrong but don't know what the problem is or what to do.
Any suggestions?
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »

How are his eyes? Bright or dull?
What's his temp?
Has he been wormed & with what?
kristina
Bottle Babies

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:48:37 PM »

His eyes seem fine, he had dewormer a month ago...mor max pellets.  I don't know his temp, I have never taken a goats temp, what is the best way to do it.  Thanks for the quick response, I am really worried about him.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55:46 PM »

A human thermometer. Just put it gently in rectum with a little vaseline.
It should read in the 102 range.
What is his coat like? Smooth? Rough? 
What is his gum color?  Eyelid color?
Pellets for worming do not always work.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:08:11 PM »

Yearling what? Standard? Mini? Buck? Wether?

Have a fecal done, most of those pelleted wormers do not work very well and only target a very few worms.

If he were mine, I would get that fecal done asap. I would give him baking soda in case his rumen is acidic.

If he is not eating much, give him Vit B complex either orally or by injection. Without a full rumen, he is not making enough of his own. He could go into Polio, if he isn't almost there now.

Any new grass or noxious weeds he could have ingested? If you have new green grass, is this something he is used to or is it just coming up? What color is his poo? Loose can be caused by new spring grass or worms or an imbalance in his gut.

Temp is taken rectally. Have someone hold him, grease the thermometer and gently insert it in about 2 inches or so. DO NOT LET GO OF IT! Animals can suck a thermometer inside and open a whole new set of problems!

Check his eye lids for anemia. Roll the upper eye lid up and back or the lower one down. If the membrane inside is bright pink, his iron level is good. If he is pale pink or white, he is anemic. Probably has barberpole worms or liver flukes  and needs help ASAP.

Have you seen him pee? If not stand and watch him for a long time to see if he is peeing a normal amount and a strong stream. The pee should be pale yellow or almost clear.

Is he drinking? Does he have access to loose minerals?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
kristina
Bottle Babies

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »

His He is a wether, kind of mixed breed of sorts.  He is 1/4 pygmy, !/4 full size Nubian and 1/2 Nigi, he's very cute.
 He coat is smooth, and his gums are pinkish. His poo is light brown. I gave him the pellet dewormer a month ago(I don't usually use the pellets, but it was the only one I could find for my lactating doe, so I figured I would use it for both of them this time) He has a mineral block in his pen, and I will put some baking soda in the pen for him.   I will also get some B complex for him.

He and the rest of the herd have been grazing on the new grass that has grown up after the rain....the others seem fine. (His mom and her  2 month old twins) They have been out there daily for a few weeks now.  There are all kinds of grasses and weeds, it has never been a problem before though.  I will check his eyes and watch to see if he pees. 
Thanks so much for your input, I really appreciate it.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »

reworm him...as soon as possible.

If you want to use the Ivermectrin horse paste wormer that will work fine, but we'll need to redose him in 10 days, and then follow up with safeguard (purchase it through Jeffers...go to www.jefferslivestock.com)...give him 1cc per 10 pounds of body weight once daily for 5 days.

When you worm him, worm all of them again...even if they are pregnant, Ivermectrin horse paste wormer will not hurt your lactating or your pregnant Does.

By the sounds of it, it sounds like you live in the southern area...we're mowing grass already down here in LA, and it's busting out spring time here...gardens are being planted and livestock owners are battling the nasty worm loads as we speak.

Do yourself a favor and never use the pelleted wormers again. 

Give your boy the Vit B Complex, once daily for 4 days, then off for 2 days and back on again for 4 days.  Give him a little cultured yogurt to rebuild the good bacteria in his body, about an ounce once daily...I use the yobaby yogurts you buy at walmart because it comes in flavors and they love the one with banana's in it...the yobaby has 5 live cultures in it, and the fruit is real fruit.  If his diarrhea is bad, then pull him from the lush green grass and only give him dry hay and electrolyte water...no browse, no grass, no grain until it's gone...a dose of pepto about 3 to 4cc's every hour until it starts to firm up, then go every 2 hours until it's pebbles again.  Or you can use Slippery Elm, which is really good, and much better than pepto, but hard to find unless you order it online.

I think your boy is dealing with a worm overload...once you get those out of him I think you'll see a big difference.

~ Birdie ~
kristina
Bottle Babies

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:16 AM »

Thanks Birdie and others,
I have done everything you all suggested and he seems a little better, he is still not eating grain but he has more life in him and is chowing down on the yogurt and orchard grass.  His poo is normal but he hasn't poo"d a lot.  He has been peeing just fine.  I think he may be on the road to recovery.  Thanks so much everyone!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »

I'm sorry if I'm repeating something posted earlier..but just a reminder...lets give this boy some bcomplex (not b12.) once daily...this will stimulate his appetite.  I'm really happy to hear that he's doing so much better.  Chomping on any thing is a good sign.  If his diarrhea is gone, introduce his grain back slowly...small portions to start..increase him by a small amount every 5th day...don't increase if his stools go bad again. 

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

As long as he is eating hay I wouldn't worry too much. Grain can be acidic, so if he is still feeling a bit dungy from the worms he just may not feel like dealing with the grain. Grass hay is a natural anti-acid for the rumen and will keep his digestive tract functioning properly. Grain will not. I'd rather have them mouwing down on hay than grain. With some Vit B in his belly and all the hay he wants, he will feel better soon.

Yup, Vit B is a wonderful thing.

I would follow up with another dose of wormer within 2 weeks of his last dose. If it were me, I'd check the other goats for worms also.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Ace
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:37:56 PM »

Glad to hear that he seems to be feeling better   Smiley
kristina
Bottle Babies

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

Thanks all, I got the results from his fecal, and he does not have worms.  Doc gave me same advice as you all did with the probiotics, b complex, baking soda, dry hay and electrolytes.  He said it it probably due to the fresh grass, or something else he's eaten.  I am truly grateful for all your insight and words of wisdom, knowing there is a family of knowledgeable goat owners who care so much about our animals makes times like this less stressful.....it's pretty stressful for me when my goats aren't feeling well.
Here is a photo of him feeling better!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 07:18:17 PM by kristina » Logged
Ace
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »

He sure is cute!  Thanks for the update   Smiley
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:30 PM »

Goats (of any age) often come down with scours in the Spring just from eating new green grass.  It looks so good to them that they will really gourge themselves.  For the first two or three weeks they are out on new green grass, you should feed them hay before releasing them onto the green grass.  The hay puts a buffer in their rumens and creates a barrier to that fresh green grass.
Remember---hay before going outside equals non=messy buttoms!
You all should know that there are a few things that are "poison" to them in the early Spring.  Not poison to the extent that it will kill; but poison to the extent that injestion can cause symptoms that will result in seizures, etc.  Some of these plants are: buttercups first coming up; lambskill.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:17:03 PM by Sally P » Logged
kristina
Bottle Babies

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »

Thanks Sally, I have been doing the opposite, letting them out to graze then giving them some hay when they go back in.  I will change this routine starting tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: