HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 24, 2017, 09:25:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat not feeling well
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Goat not feeling well  (Read 4538 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:58:54 AM »

You know, Sally is right...I had this same thing happen to me, with many of my Does and their kids one season...Sally told me to feed a belly full of hay before they went out to pasture and forage..I did, and it stopped all that upset stomach stuff.  It really works well.  I fed grain and then filled hay feeders (not to the point of what I did in the dead of the winter of course but enough that I knew they'd get their fill of it), and after I saw the first goat go lay down to chew cud, that's when I went out and opened gates and let them out to the tree line and open pastures.

You boy is just adorable!!  I truly love that face of his...taint' nuttin' like the lovin' of a Pygmy...I will always have a soft spot and a great love for the pygmy's.  I am so happy he's feeling better.  Good Job!!!

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 09:05:48 AM »

He is just adorable.  So glad he is doing better.  I have one Pygmy boy and love him.

Yep, I had the same thing happen when I first got into goats.  Learned from Sally also that always feed them hay before turning them out to pasture.  Also I think it is best to wait untiil the grass is dry from the morning dew.  The worm larvae will crawl up to the tips of the grass when it is wet and that is what the goats will eat. 

Elizabeth
countryluvnfarms
Bouncing Babies

NPGA Pygmy Goats Pelion,SC

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

My  goats must not have gotten the memo. They don't eat the green grass if so very little. Right now the winter rye is dried out in the fields. The bermuda and spring rye is coming up. You can watch them pick through it to eat the dry grasses. When i bring in a new bail of junk bermuda the love it almost as much a Animal Crackers. When i am stuck with horse quality bermuda they waste more of it then they eat.  I need to sign my goats up for this forum so they can read what they are supposed to do.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:15:43 PM by countryluvnfarms » Logged
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »

My  goats must not have gotten the memo. They don't eat the green grass if so very little. Right now the winter rye is dried out in the fields. The bermuda and spring rye is coming up. You can watch them pick through it to eat the dry grasses. When i bring in a new bail of junk bermuda the love it almost as much a Animal Crackers. When i am stuck with horse quality bermuda they waste more of it then they eat.  I need to sign my goats up for this forum so they can reat what they are supposed to do.

Sounds like they are just like a defiant teenager.   goat   lol 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 07:24:45 AM »

My  goats must not have gotten the memo. They don't eat the green grass if so very little. Right now the winter rye is dried out in the fields. The bermuda and spring rye is coming up. You can watch them pick through it to eat the dry grasses. When i bring in a new bail of junk bermuda the love it almost as much a Animal Crackers. When i am stuck with horse quality bermuda they waste more of it then they eat.  I need to sign my goats up for this forum so they can read what they are supposed to do.

we had a simular issue with bermuda too...we found out that hybrid bermuda our goats wouldn't touch it, in the fields or baled...but a neighbor of ours brought over a large round bale that had broken and scattered out, and they pitch forked it into his truck out of the field and brought it to us..and I told him "my goats won't eat bermuda"...he said to me..."Sis, you try this and see, it's common bermuda, not hybrid bermuda." and I did and they absolutely went nuts over it.  So long story short here, we planted one of our baling pastures in nothing but Common bermuda...the other pasture we planted Red clover and common bermuda, and we had the best hay and grazing land around...I leased hay rights to a pasture connected to us...it was the same, common bermuda/red clover...and put my goats in the common bermuda/red clover pasture for the summer...and low and behold those goats left the wooded area to eat that red clover first and then the common bermuda.  I would see them pull the weeds from the pasture too...but we used graze-on on it a year before putting goats on it and there weren't many if any weeds in it. 

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: