HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2017, 04:20:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19692 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Helpful Hints (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Goat feed recall (a little late, I just found the info)
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Goat feed recall (a little late, I just found the info)  (Read 3098 times)
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« on: April 05, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »

I just wanted to post this....there was a Cargill Feed issued a recall of the following lots of the goat feed they make.  Sorry its so late though, I just found out) 

Lot code:       Product Name                  bag size     Date code

1MG1365      NatureWise Goat Pellet 16       50lbs          1MG1DEC31

3MG2049      NatureWise Goat Pellet 16       50lbs          3MG2FEB18

1MG2056      NatureWise Goat Pellet 16       50lbs          1MG2FEB25

sorry if this was posted before...
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:57:15 PM »

The reason it was recalled was because of improper labeling.....
This is the information copied from their website: 
http://www.cargill.com/feed/goatfeedrecall/

NatureWise Goat Feed Recall

We take your animals’ nutrition and health seriously. That’s why we’re voluntarily recalling certain lots of Nutrena NatureWise ® Goat Pellets because they were mislabeled.

The recall only affects bags of feed made on Dec. 31, 2011, and on Feb. 18 and Feb. 25, 2012. The bags should have said the feed included decoquinate, which is approved by the U.S. Federal Drug Administration and commonly used in animal feed but not intended for lactating goats.

What is decoquinate? Decoquinate is used to prevent coccidiosis, a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract. It has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for use in medicated feed, including feed for poultry and meat goats. But it is not approved for milk goats.

What should I do if my goat has eaten this feed? If you have fed it to a lactating goat, we recommend you destroy the milk. 

What if I drank milk from a goat that ate this feed? Because the FDA has not approved decoquinate for milk goats, we don’t recommend consuming dairy products from milk goats that ate this feed.  However, we don’t believe there are any harmful effects to humans and are recalling this feed as a precaution. 

What do I do if I have some of this feed in my possession? You may return it to the store where you purchased it for a full refund or replacement.

What if I have more questions?
 You can reach a Cargill representative at 1-800-392-5757, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. central.
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:06 PM »

This is waaaayyyyy late...but at least the thread has good information on it....oopppsss!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 08:38:43 PM »

I've drank milk from does fed medicated feed (accidentally, they got into the kids creep). Never bothered me any and I feel better knowing I prevented a colony of coccia overgrowing in my intestines. laugh

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 06:25:19 AM »

makes me really appreciate fresh milled feed. Smiley  Thanks for posting it Hillbillie

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 10:17:31 AM »

You still have the possibility of bad feed even from a local mill. Grain can be contaminated with fungus or other noxious things out in the field and not be discovered until animals die. Unfortunately, a lot of the big grain companies with recalls have that as the reason. Years with weather extremes  seem to be the worst. Of course, importing grains from other countries like China is another big factor.  Angry

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: