HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2018, 11:11:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19857 Posts in 1419 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  How to get rid of Carpenter Bees
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: How to get rid of Carpenter Bees  (Read 6680 times)
Valley View
Bouncing Babies

« on: April 16, 2013, 05:36:01 PM »

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of Carpenter Bees? They are destroying my goat barn. I send my kids out with tennis racquets to swat them. Although my kids are pretty deadly (they net about 20 bees per day), I can't seem to get rid of the bees. I tried the spray at TSC, but that does not do much good. I thought about caulking the holes they bore into the wood, but I don't know if they would just chew through or chew another hole. Does anyone have any tricks to get rid of these things????? Embarrassed
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »

Are those a western bee?  I've never heard of Carpenter Bees. 
Anyhow---what I do is to attack them after dark.  If you spray into the wall(s) where they have their nest you should get most of them or all of them if you do it after dark.  That's when they are all in.  Trying to get a nest in the daytime just doesn't work.
Valley View
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 07:36:55 PM »

I may be calling them the wrong thing. They are wood eating bees that burrow into barn and fence posts. They tend to hover when they fly, so they are easy to hit out of the air. They look like a bumble bee. (Big, black and yellow). I have never been stung by one. They are not aggresive, but they will destroy a barn over time.
Ace
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »

http://www.getridofthings.com/pests/bees/get-rid-of-carpenter-bees.htm

I found this link with info.

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/Carpenter_Bees.htm

Another link.

I also read that covering the holes they've bored with duct tape works if it will adhere to the surface. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 08:35:20 PM by Ace » Logged
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:12:39 AM »

We call them "Bore" bees down here...but yes, technical term is "Carpenter"...they are aggrevating for sure. 

We use as much treated lumber as possible...but the one thing I have found is that when I painted the clean used motor oil on the untreated wood, that kept them out of it, and they didn't bore into the wood any more.  The oil you use, needs to be clean and free of any type of gasoline fuels...good clean used motor oil can be gotten free at any oil change shop...the shops have to seperate the oil that has fuel deposits in it from the other oils taken from vehicles, so be sure to tell them you need clean used oil.  When you paint it on your wood, it's best to do it when it's super hot outdoors...the heat opens the pores of the wood, and the oil soaks deeper into the wood...it will also dry faster too.

The oil prevents all sorts of "wood" insects from eating on the wood, it also preserves and protects your wood.

~ Birdie ~
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:28:47 PM »

We had these something awful in Missouri. you have my sympathy!!
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »

Wow, never heard of them. They must not like the far north east! GOOD! Grin

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

Nubian, La Mancha goats- Southwest New York State

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 08:19:11 PM »

Yes, they do hit the Northeast.  I look like a crazy lady out on the deck with my badminton racket swatting them. Gonna get it  Yes, they are called carpenter bees because they burrow into the wood and literally eat it away.  You must have a nest somewhere close to the goat barn.  Look inside the holes they have burrowed.  If you see a gray thing in there (for lack of a better way of describing it) spray it with starter fluid and it will kill them.  Now I will warn you...You will look as crazy going around checking out holes as you would swatting them, but checking the holes and shooting starter fluid is the only way I could get ahead of the bees. 

What works here on my farm may not work at yours.
taelir
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 08:34:52 PM »

Ugh, I HATE carpenter bees. Almost as much as I hate mud dauber wasps (which are another horror in and of themselves).

We use gasoline to kill the bees and nests. I hate using it, but it works really well and evaporates quickly. We've never had luck with plugging the holes back up or even with treating the wood. We do soak some of our lumber to help it last longer, but it's never seemed to keep away the carpenter bees. Those little buggers don't seem to be too picky around here!
Valley View
Bouncing Babies

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:40:20 PM »

Thank you all. Great advice. I am going to try the starter fluid and /or gasoline the try the oil treament. I can always count on good advice on this board. Appreciate you all!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:51 AM »

Grin Grin  Brenda you're a hoot!!

Valley View...the carpenter bees (bore bees to us) won't bore into treated wood...so treat all your wood, even your rafters.

~ Birdie ~
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »

Birdie, that's not true, they will burrow into treated wood.  Our deck is a wrap around deck with all treated lumber and they have made numerous holes in the posts.  That is why I am out there with the badminton racket....trying to get them killed before they bore anymore holes in my deck!!  Same thing happened when we lived in PA.  Those buggars will bore into anything wood it seems.  I HATE them, and hubby knows when I start seeing them I find my racket and go to work.  I try to do it when nobody is watching cause I am a swinging fool with that racket!!  LOL

taelir
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 03:43:40 PM »

Yep, they don't care around here either. They bore into our the commercially-treated lumber in our picnic table/decks just as much as they do with the oil-soaked lumber on sheds we've built ourselves.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 05:40:14 PM »

Birdie, that's not true, they will burrow into treated wood.  Our deck is a wrap around deck with all treated lumber and they have made numerous holes in the posts.  That is why I am out there with the badminton racket....trying to get them killed before they bore anymore holes in my deck!!  Same thing happened when we lived in PA.  Those buggars will bore into anything wood it seems.  I HATE them, and hubby knows when I start seeing them I find my racket and go to work.  I try to do it when nobody is watching cause I am a swinging fool with that racket!!  LOL

Oh really!!  Now that surprises me...we just had this 16 x 32 building built with treated siding and all the wood is the "yellow" wood, treated of course..and they aren't bothering it at all.

We put up the old deck from when Shane moved to the mobile home park, to the back door of where we are now and they aren't messing with it either...it's all treated lumber.

We just built deck step for the front deck this last weekend...very wet with the treatment on it..and they aren't messing with it at all.

We put up the dog fence and set the treated corner posts and they aren't messing with it either.

I do know our roughen sawn oak, was inside our horse stalls and we treated it with used motor oil and nothing, not even a fly bothered it...the only wood we had/have them mess with was the untreated stuff.

~ Birdie ~
bweaver1958
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 12:45:09 PM »

Give them time.....they'll be looking at your wood as a new hotel.  LOL

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: