HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 07:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19521 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  suggestions for seperating male and female
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: suggestions for seperating male and female  (Read 6444 times)
rmeistrell62
Bottle Babies

« on: May 21, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »

We have a male pygmy & a female nigerian living together. Female is pregnant and expexted to deliver in less than 4 weeks... they share a yard and "goat condo" (prefab building with insulated roof, windows, wrap around porch, set up off the ground & hay feeder)...we have tried setting seperate feed dishes, but that doesn' seem to change anything. I am worried about ways to give female seperate space when she delivers. We have limited space to work with (these are pets) - would putting him on a limited lead be acceptable?
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:34:03 PM »

Split the space down the middle with fencing of some sort---a portable kennel or piece of fence would work.  Do NOT thether him---goats that are tethered can run and snap their necks very easily.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 08:48:39 PM »

You'll have to do something to keep them separate until you want to breed her again or the buck will have her pregnant very soon. That is just too stressful to the doe, plus the kid could get hurt or killed by accident.

Can you find wooden pallets and make a separate area for the buck?

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
taelir
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

Definitely do not put him on a lead. I would split the pen if it's big enough to do so, otherwise build a separate pen for him.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 05:57:18 AM »

this is a buck we're talking about...he's gonna tear up any thing to get back into her...I do agree the interior 10' x 10' dog kennel pen would be nice, with a nice extra large dog house for his housing sounds like your best option...BUT...I'd get him to the Vet and have him castrated as soon as possible.  Bucks do not make good pets and now that he's a breeding buck, he will get territorial, demanding, pushy, and down right onary when he goes into rut, not to mention he's gonna stink up a storm.  Get him Castrated...the sooner the better.

Once you castrate him he still can't go in with her for at least 2 wks or longer.  So having the dog kennel ready when you bring him home from the vet, is the best way to go.

~ Birdie ~
rmeistrell62
Bottle Babies

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 02:31:06 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions. Really didn't think lead was an option (seemed cruel.) Castration not an option at this point - cost not in budget. We have material we can use to seperate yard... and we have another shed (used currently just for "stuff"...ie.lawn mower, tools etc.) I think I might be able to convince hubby to split large shed in half inside ( half for goat, other half for "stuff" (it's twice as big as goat "condo"), and has vented roof, so it stays comfortable temp in summer.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:39 PM »

Sounds like that might be a options.  Question, how old is this Buck?  I know people that will band their bucks even older ones. 

The problem is they are heard animals and he will need a buddy.  Getting a weather would be the best option.  Just be prepared, they are VERY strong, much stronger then you think they will be and they can tear things up pretty easy. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
rmeistrell62
Bottle Babies

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 03:50:52 PM »

LMAO! I can totally relate to the "strong" - while trying to fill their feed dish last moth, he felt I wasn't "fast" enough, and used his horns to "point" out his ire. I ended up with a scar on my right inner arm. He was sold to us as 1 year old.
taelir
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 04:57:26 PM »

Where are you located? I'm sure we could help you find a local breeder who would be willing to band your boy for either free or next to nothing...
rmeistrell62
Bottle Babies

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »

Lake Charles, we only found one local clinic with vets who would see goats.
taelir
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »

Vets charge an arm and a leg for something as simple as banding, it wouldn't hurt to call some local breeders. I found Hickory Branch Farm nearby, they raise myotonics and would have smaller bands on hand (which is what you'd need for a pygmy). Give them a call and explain the situation, they very well may be able to help out (and they'd be more experienced than a vet would with banding). Smiley
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 06:37:31 PM »

Hmmmm---you think a "small" band is appropriate for a pygmy?   The size of some of those :little" boys can really surprise you.  We use the same bands for everyone pygmy, Nigi or Dairy.  Don't forget---this boy is a year old. Roll Eyes
taelir
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »

Something to consider for sure, Sally! We use smaller bands on our fainters, and I thought pygmies were similar in size. If the same size band seems to work for different size breeds, then that'd at least make it easier for rmeistrell62 to find someone who can band their boy Smiley

And yeah, we were just having that discussion the other day with my 11-year-old! She was 'ewww-ing' over the size of one of our Angus bull's, ahem, hardware...and then I pointed out that my fainter herdsire is sporting nearly the same size equipment. LOL
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 06:53:27 AM »

IMPO...banding a yearling no matter what the breed, is not safe.  I've seen that go ary on several Bucks. 

Surgical castration at this age, and size is what I highly suggest.

Most Vets will allow you to put it on an account and pay for it as you can.

Lake Charles, Louisiana...I'll see if I can find you a good Vet...I know Dr. Sobb at LSU Vet Clinic...the college in Baton Rouge...He's helping me with Mercy right now...I'll call him and see what he has to say. 

Texas isn't that far from you...they have many, many good goat vets over there.  Texas A&M is rated number one in the nation now.

~ Birdie ~
rmeistrell62
Bottle Babies

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »

We have a vet here who will do castration (he said this age goat, only safe procedure,) he did one for us last summer (3 year old billy buck, named Oreo) He also banded a 3 month old nigerian male, named Cookie, that we got - unfortunately, Oreo remained smelly and full of wonderlust (broke up privacy fence even after we put up hog wire.) We ended up giving Oreo to people with open pasture who just wanted a pet - he was super docile, follow you around like a puppy  Smiley We then got Sugar, the half-sister of Cookie as a companion. Both had coccidia and had to be treated... Cookie almost died. 1 month later he developed urinary tract obstruction and died  Cry Sugar was heartbroken, searched for new companion for few months before getting current male pygmy, named KC from friends unable to take care of him any longer. Sugar was in heat same week we got KC.... and hasn't come back into heat again. That was last week of January. Now I believe Sugar is weeks away from birthing :G Baby!
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: