HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:45:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Judging a goat with a small head....
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Judging a goat with a small head....  (Read 1880 times)
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« on: June 16, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »

Just wondering.....my son's 4-H project, Oskar, seems to have a small head.  His body is gorgeous--lots of muscling, wide rear end, topline, and shoulders.  During market judging, will his small head have an affect on how the judge scores the "carcass" ??

(Maybe he doesn't have a small head, maybe its just me thinking he has a small head)
Rockytopsis
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:51:42 PM »

Picture? Would help.
Rocky

A & N Lazy Pond Farm, a small Boer Goat farm in East Tennessee
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 07:05:37 AM »

You know, I don't show, I don't buy or sell goats for the show ring...for me personally, I want mine to have the small dainty heads...in male goats, this is a trait that will throw ease of kidding...so if this goes against you, then they don't know goats very well, in my personal opinion.  I know if I saw a boy in come that ring, one with a horrible large head and wide horn spread, and one that came in with a narrow horn base with a nice small triangular head...I'm going after the one with the small triangular head...it's more appealing and more handsome.

Now this is what I judge my goats by...my bucks can not have big heads with wide horn bases...been there, done that, and almost lost several Does bred to a buck that threw that head lock trait...never again will that happen to me.

So, to answer your question...I'd never ever be ashamed of a handsome young boy, with a small head.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »

The head may just appear small because of his muscles and large body frame.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »

I can't get Oskar to stand still long enough to get a good picture....I will keep trying though!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 06:01:22 AM »

He's a Boer right?  If so, the year I had the head lock issues in Birthing...I had gone to Arkansas University Vet college and spoke with the directors of the Animal Science program.  They taught me and advised me how to determine a buck that will throw head lock issues and how to judge one that will be less likely to throw those genetics.  They showed me how to measure the head/shoulders/rump by just comparing to leg length, body length and so for...but the most important thing they told me, judging by first glance, was the horn spread.  The best horn placement is when the outside of the horn base is on the inside of the eye...that gives you the triangular head, with narrow foreheads that will not cause headlock issues.  They showed me at first glance which buck will have the genetic of throwing hip lock issues...when the hips are wider than the shoulder/chest area...that usually is a trait that will have hip lock issues in birthing.

So Dragon I tend to think you may be correct in saying the head may appear smaller due to larger shoulder/chest and rump/cannon muscles.

~ Birdie ~
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:08:03 AM »

There are pictures of Oskar on the forum...under "the first real day of spring in PA".  Oskar is the black headed one and I have always thought his head was small.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: