HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 07:46:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Working, Showing and Wether Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Finishing out for show
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Finishing out for show  (Read 1347 times)
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« on: August 12, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »

Sorry I haven't been on in so long, we have been getting ready for 4-H fun show and the community fair.  This past weekend, we took one of our wethers to the 4-H fun show (its just a learning show for the kids to practice and to ask the judge some pointers on showmanship and how to get our goats ready for the bigger fair). 

After the goats were judged (ours came in 3rd), we went to the judge and asked what if anything we could do to improve the goats.  She told us that there were 2 things that needed and could be better by Fair time on Labor day--  they need to have more finish on him and he has a slight hay belly.  First she asked us what we feed--we told her Goat power pelleted feed, BOSS, hay and fresh water.  She immediately told us cut out the black oil sunflower seeds and get rid of the hay (because of the slight hay belly).  She said only to feed them the pellets.  Otherwise, he is a very nice looking goat, that he just needed a little more finish....

My questions are this:  Do the BOSS hold them back from finishing properly?  And, Don't goats and all ruminant animals need roughage to keep their bellies working properly?  I was going to cut back the hay but not completely to get rid of the haybellies....any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Smiley
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »

I never heard a judge say to cut out the hay.  Hay is necessary and I would doubt that your boy has a hay belly.   BOSS should not be cut out either. 
If he were mine, I would cut out the pelletted and get him on sweet feed.  A lot of goats do not like the pelletted feed.  Just add the BOSS to the sweet feed and see how he does.
What ever you do---do not cut out the hay.
HillBilleBip
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »

That's what I thought too Sally.  I couldn't believe this woman said to cut out the hay and sunflower seeds -- then told me she raises goats herself (poor babies).  I wasn't to0 impressed with the judge anyway....calling herself an expert but telling us not to feed hay to a ruminant animal...brainiac she is.....
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 01:50:19 PM »

I have and I thought they were loosing it. 

I would not cut it out but cut way back.  Only like a 1/2 a leaf or less a day. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:47:56 PM »

Its very common (but not right) to feed meat animals just a pelleted feed when they get them fitted for show, especially the market wethers. They pellets have high fiber, so they figure that is all they need, a so called complete feed. Well you are right. Ruminants need long stem roughage (or browse) to keep their digestive tract running smoothly. Even if you feed alfalfa pellets and beet pulp, both very high in fiber, you should still feed hay or run the risk of polio, acidosis and other metabolic problems because they rumen is acidic form all the grain. Dry grass hay is natures baking soda, it neutralizes the acid made from grain digestion.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: