HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2017, 04:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihandwcm

Stats
19325 Posts in 1377 Topics by 719 Members
Latest Member: TrishR
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Fiber Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  goat feed
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: goat feed  (Read 12662 times)
PrimroseAngoras
Bottle Babies

« on: September 07, 2013, 03:48:53 PM »

Well, we've all had our kids and are surviving the heat well, now.  Now the mill is making it difficult to get the feed I was using: Kent goat feed.  Am considering gradually switching them to a 17% sheep feed.  It sounds like the lack of copper is the biggest difference.  Any advice?
PS  You guys are great!  Always answer my dumb questions Smiley
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 07:37:47 PM »

Can you get a good horse or cattle feed instead? Yes, the copper is a big issue with sheep feed for goats.

I feed a dairy cow ration to my goats. Have for years, started long before they even had goat feed. I switched to goat feed for a while, found it way too expensive for almost the exact same thing, so went back to dairy cow feed.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
taelir
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »

Could you have them custom mix a feed for you? It's probably cheaper in the long run anyway...
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 06:30:40 AM »

http://goatbeat.net/index.php?topic=938.0

The link above is a link that we started a long time ago, with discussions of proper feed mixes and those that many of us use.  Custom feed mixing is much healthier than premixed feeds are..the reason being is that custom mixing usually gets you a better quality feed grain, and you can add other items to your feed to pick up the protein levels.

Your feed probably isn't going to have enough copper in it to help you out a lot.  Horses can not have the copper that goats require...yet I do feed horse grain mixes to my goats, and tweek it up for higher protein...using the soybean meal, soybean oil, and the BOSS...I do feed this to my horses as well as my cattle/calves, and my goats...was giving it to my chickens too, but it made them way too fat, so it was a treat only for them.

You'll still have to supply a good quality goat mineral higher in copper than what a horse requires (high copper amounts to horses will cause serious (I know from extreme experiences with it) issues in your horses, almost deadly indeed.).  You may even have to copper bolus your goats every 3 to 6 months if you're in a deficient area.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: