HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  Goat Corral (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Enough space?
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Enough space?  (Read 5344 times)
Kaigypsy
Bottle Babies

City hippy, horse/chicken/cat parent

« on: October 09, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »

Grin  Hey all

I am just about done figuring out the space part and hope HOPE this is enough before I even begin to buy. I know there really isn't an exact figure of when one has enough for goats as they breed so well.  tongue

Knowing that I am putting the shed outside the fencing for obvious reasons based on average numbers (via book), I put together this:

Sq footage (and this is the part I still am not 100% sure on but I figured it has to be larger than a standard 24x24 horse stall):
Length-4 16 ft cattle panels: 64ft (68ft on one side to accommodate 4ft gate)
Width-3   16 ft cattle panels: 48ft
 Cup-O-Joe

Total: 3075sq (?????)
or
Total:  112 sq (64+48 which isn't correct because 64 and 48 are only once side????) :ac

Anyway this footage will include the follow:
Loafing/feed area (covered due to sun in So.Calif), Birth area(6x6) and Play space.  Frustrated

The goal ultimately is to cover 3 does with between 3-12 kids, give or take of course. Holy crap I hate crunching numbers when I only have so much to go on. Please help if you can-I want to make sure the girls have enough space as they will be in here a lot. I do hope to do some leash training so they do get out.  Norco has great horse trails as long as one stays out of the newer places where I've seen stuff that even the horses shouldn't be around. goat

Thanks for input/ideas/adjustments all!   :phew:

Kai  Faint

The Desert Plum Ranch-W.I.P.
Blessed Be!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 04:46:22 AM »

Kai,
that sounds pretty good to me.  You'll want to incorporate a feeder inside your loafing shed that will hold your mineral and baking soda...you can find those mineral feeders through Jeffers.com.  They really aren't all that expensive.  Buy two of them so that you'll have them inside your birthing stall too.  If you could increase the size of your birthing area that would help too...6 x 6 is pretty small...can you get it 8 x 8?  Something else to consider...what happens if all three of your Does kid at the same time?  Only one stall, might be a really tight situation.

The rule of thumb that I was told years ago, how to figure stocking my pastures without overstocking them...8 large breed goats per acre, 16 mini breeds per acre.  What you're fencing off isn't an acre of land.  12 babies and 3 Does unless they are mini breeds has you overstocked.  Overstocking causes serious illness's so you want to make sure that you keep your numbers down.

That sized area, I'd say 4 to 6 head would do nicely in.

~ Birdie ~
Kaigypsy
Bottle Babies

City hippy, horse/chicken/cat parent

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »

Darn I should have mentioned that I am raising only mini goats. Also I already factored in the feed bins w minerals within the loafing area. Still, I am glad to hear most of the numbers sound good. Yay.

I will make the bed area larger Birdie although I do not plan on having all does birthing at the same time. My goal is to stagger breedings if I can so only one doe is in the birth stall at a time.

The Desert Plum Ranch-W.I.P.
Blessed Be!
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 05:47:39 AM »

that's a good idea, staggering your birthing times, will surely make it much easier on you.  However, just a hint here, don't stagger them too far apart...a week tops...this way you have them for the most part being weaned at the same time...weaning boys away from mom's they will have each other to help make the weaning process much easier...separation of adolesent girls from Mom's when it's time to breed Mom back but daughters are too young, will work better if they have a sister/half sister to go in the separation pen with them.

A week with mom and new babies in the birthing pen, is plenty long enough for mom's to bond with babies.  I usually kept the moms with their babies in their birthing pens for a week before they got to go out into the community pen, and stay there for a week before going out into the smaller pasture, and a week in the small pasture before they were let out into the big pasture where they would grow up and be either weaned off from mom in a Buckling pen, or stay with mom because she's a keeper Doe.

So, your set up sound just dandy!!  Good luck to you and I can't wait to see pictures.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: