HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2018, 10:40:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20238 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Yeast Infection
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Topic: Yeast Infection  (Read 5388 times)
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« on: June 06, 2014, 10:42:31 AM »

It smells like it, his ears are all waxy. Have been putting "Ear Cleansing Solution" in them every
other day.
It does not seem to help clear up.
Any homemade stuff that will wipe it out?
Candace?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 02:49:15 PM »

My mothers vet has her using a weekly wash of white vinegar and witch hazel (50/50) to clean and dry the ears. This worked better than anything other stuff she used. Has taken care of the problem to date.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »

Sweet! Thank you Dragon I will try that. kiss
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »

Nancy...I don't think it's yeast...if it were the vinegar solution would take that away...our Vet has me mix up equal parts Vinegar and rubbing alcohol (the clear kind)...put deep into the ear canal and really rub it in until you hear it squishing around in there and then allow him to shake it out on his own and repeat.

But with the odor you're saying, and the waxy look of it, sounds more like ear mites to me....VetRX will kill that or you can also use Ivomec Injectable (remove the needle), and put one cc' down into his ear canal and rub it real good so it hits all the areas of the ear canal.  VetRx is 4 drops per ear.   You may have to treat once daily for a few days. 

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »

I always thought ear mites left little dark spots?? The ear smells yeasty, that's why I assumed yeast infection.
Hmmm.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 05:40:54 AM »

Yeah they do Nancy...the ear has blackish waxy looking stuff in it..if your Vinegar solution doesn't work in a few days, I'd try the VetRX or the injectable Ivomec and see if it works for you.

~ Birdie ~
mountaingoat12
Bottle Babies

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »

Clean out as much gunk as you can, then rub on some tea tree oil. This is effective for both mites and yeast infections.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »

Tea tree oil. It's a mainstay around here & it never crossed my mind, thanks!
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »

My dog has a yeast infection in her ears.  I took her to the Vet to get them meds to help with the thunder storms, and they checked her ears, took some of the gunk out and looked at it under the scope.  He said Yeast infection.  I have meds to put in them. 

I have also have used Vet Rx in the ears. 

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 10:10:42 AM »

Started out using  Ear Cleaning Solution three times a week. maybe 2-3 weeks.
Solution almost gone so tried mineral oil.
I think that's what started knocking it out but that's just an initial observation.
Yesterday Tea Tree Oil.
We shall see.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 01:07:56 PM »

Thanks Candace, color is dull yellow.
Putting stuff in about 3 times a week.
Sheriff does have allergies from what I have no idea. Dog food has no wheat corn or soy.
mountaingoat12
Bottle Babies

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »

Does it have chicken? Many dogs(mine included) are allergic to poultry, so I buy a beef or fish based food. It really helped his condition.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 02:33:16 PM »

Lamb would be good to give as well and cost a whole lot less.  Rarely do dogs have allergies to proteins (meat is protein)..since they basically survive/survived as wild wolves on nothing more than protein.  If it's food allergies it's most likely not proteins, but more so maybe the preservatives or veggies mixed in it.

~ Birdie ~
mountaingoat12
Bottle Babies

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 07:09:06 PM »

Good idea, forgot about lamb. You could experiment by taking her off dry food for a week or so, and feed a mix of meat/rice/carrots instead. Then you can see if the yeast infection starts to go away. Or use a special blue brand-type of kibble, like lamb and rice.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:59:13 AM »

Some dogs are very allergic to chicken and I've known some to be allergic to lamb!

Tractor Supply carries a variety of grain free kibble by 4Health. Its pretty reasonable. I mix it with the kibble I changed to for them Sportmix Wholesomes-Fish and brown rice. They love it (Malamutes do very well on a  high oil fish diet) and it has done wonders for them. I have to special order it because TSC does not carry the Wholesomes in the New England areas for whatever reason. It's cheaper than what I was feeding (Kent Native) which was great until they changed their ingredients (lowered the fish) and raised the price.

Ear infections are commonly caused by diet. Since I changed to a raw diet mixed with low or no grain kibble, I have not had a single ear infection in my droopy eared dogs!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: