HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 22, 2018, 02:05:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News

Stats
19842 Posts in 1418 Topics by 724 Members
Latest Member: Andres16moreno
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Yeast Infection
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Topic: Yeast Infection  (Read 5281 times)
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 05:40:10 AM »

I use to feed 4Health all the time...dogs loved it.  That's when they first came out with it.  They changed something in it, because my dogs quit eating it.  Not one flavor/mix would they touch.  Went back to Purina Pro Plan.

I don't believe that our TSC carries those other dog foods either.  I usually get all my dog food from TSC.  Just bought a bag of "Call of the wild" from them...expensive stuff to say the least.  Sam still turned his nose up at it.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 10:47:20 AM »

The issue with the high end, grain free foods is that they don't add all the flavor enhancers to the food like the cheaper brands do so the dogs will eat it. The grain free stuff will be pretty bland to the dogs to begin with and with some dogs it takes a while to get them changed over. And with some, like the ones with wild game as the meat source, the dogs will really take a while.

Mine had been on raw beef, chicken and other domestic meats. When my neighbor got a moose and gave me all the not fit for humans or the tiny bits not big enough to bother with, it took the dogs a while before they would eat it. Wild game is a totally new taste to most domestic pets. However, once they got used to the wild flavor of game, they decided that it was way better than beef or chicken!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 06:05:22 AM »

Sammy will turn his nose up to most foods, makes no difference what brand/flavor it is.  Roll Eyes  Sammy likes human food...pure and simple...gotta be mixed with human food or he'd rather starve than to lower himself to eat "Plain bagged dog foods".....  Angry Roll Eyes tongue

I won't give my dogs "raw" meats...I don't mind giving them "meat" but I won't give it raw...I do boil the meats that I give them...no matter what meat it is.

Our dogs seem to really like deer meat...during deer season we can have all the deer meat we want...of course LA gives each hunter 6 tags...though Shane and I only take one deer for us for the year, there's tons of folks that take advantage of the 6 limit, and then try to give the meat away.

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »

We fed raw for awhile but since we don't hunt or have access to excess we went back to regular.
Sheriff's ear is slowly getting better.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 04:53:54 AM »

I would say that wild game meats fed raw would be better than more domesticated meats would be...the reason I say I won't feed raw meats is the ecoli poisoning that hit so many dogs all across the nation a few years back.  Many, many dogs died from this, either due to the owners not realizing that the dogs had ecoli, or the owners not being able to afford treatment for the dog, or just flat ignored all the way around...no matter the issue as to why they passed, but to the fact that so many dogs who were eating raw meats got this ecoli poisoning.  I know dogs eat dead meats that are rotted and decayed and flat nasty and do fine...wild dogs have lived and survived for years, but some died before the strongest survived too.

Nancy, I'm glad to hear that Sheriff is doing some better.  I saw at my vets office the other day, the all natural/organic cure for ear allergies...when I go in tomorrow with the dogs, I'll check out the brand and find out what it is.  I didn't have time that day, as we were handling this demon child called Weedle, for his health certificate...hahahaha... He's a total handful.

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2014, 06:30:13 AM »

Hey Nancy...

I just went through a bout' of Ear Mites with Sammy...he started out looking like a yeast infection...2 days later I said "this is no yeast infection"...went after the ear mite med's and was reading the bottle...every different brand and every different ingredient left me with the decision to stay clear of it....came home, put 4 eye dropper drops of baby oil in his ears and guess what?  The next day, it was all clear, no more shaking his head, no more digging his ears, no more tilting his head when he walked, no signs of yucky stuff in his ears....today, 4 days later and a once a month bath and my dog is all good to go. Smiley

Common every day baby oil...worked like a charm with no chemicals added.  Ya' gotta love that, huh?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2014, 11:50:27 AM »

You can use ivermectin in the ears too. That will kill the boogers, especially if you mix it with oil.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2014, 06:39:11 AM »

Ya know, I will give that a try next time Dragon...

thanks Penny...thanks Dragon.

I did have to retreat Sam's ears last night...they looked suspicious and I saw him scratch behind his ear...though it might not be nothing at all...I didn't take the chance of it returning.  If I remember right, the ear mite med's were given once daily for 4 or 5 days...can't remember right off hand.  This is the first ear mite issue we've had in a long, long time.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 08:17:37 AM »

I've never had an ear mite problem in my dogs, now suddenly this year they all had them! Angry

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 09:52:41 AM »

Ya remember me saying hundreds of times "never has an ending"?  Well guess what?  My "never" came to an end...though I've never said "I've never had issue with ear mites"..it still bite me in the bum!!...Sam has ear mites back and now in both ears instead of one and Sasha is now getting them!!  Angry  which I knew when one dog has them, they tend to spread to all the dogs, but I don't even know where Sam got his from, and when I bathed the dogs the other day, Sasha's ears were clean as a whistle...now last night, Sasha started shaking her head and scratching behind her right ear and though I still see nothing in her ears, they can be in there so deep that I can't see them, SOOOO, this leads me to treating both dogs. 

What the heck is up with this?  These are indoor dogs, bathed faithfully once a month, groomed once a week, nails clipped once a month, sometimes twice a month, flea treatment applied once a month and wormed once a month...good grief...what else am I to do?  Where the heck did they get ear mites from?

We don't have any cats, we don't have any thing except the goats and the dogs...now go figure?  The goats and dogs do not share yards/pastures any more like they did before we moved here...goats are fine, no issues there...OH MAN CROSSING MY FINGERS THAT THE GOATS DON'T GET EAR MITES!!!   Roll Eyes

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »

Ear mites are species specific, so they can't get them form cats and the goats shouldn't get them from dogs.

I'm in the same boat. My dogs do not leave the property and I do not allow other dogs onto this property. Where the heck did these things come from???????????? The Mothership? Huh? Huh? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes tongue tongue laugh laugh

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »

We're in a world of hurt here...I'm still battling Sam's ear mite issue...I even went and got the script stuff for them, and we're still having issue with his ears...it's been over 2 wks of battling these things.  Sasha is clear, no issue with her at all, but Sam, this is awful.  This last round of med's that I got, vet said to dose every other day for 3 treatments...said it was really good and super strong and would kill fast...NOT!!!!  Today he's back to digging his ears and shaking his head....DRATS!!!!  I clean his ears before each treatment, I am faithful not to miss a dose...I have washed all their bedding and any thing that is washable that they lay on and sprayed the other stuff...where the heck are they coming from and why?  My outdoor pyrs never got ear mites or yeast infections...my indoor dogs never got any thing like this before...so why?

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 06:35:31 AM »

Maybe it's a fungal infection?

how do you treat that?  Huh?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 03:39:50 PM »

Tea Tree oil works pretty well. Put a couple of drop sin each day and rub the ear. I mix TTO in with the vinegar and alcohol (or witch hazel) to help combat fungal infections. I put the drop sin each dogs ears once or twice (when it's humid or damp) a week.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »

And here I sit with no tea tree oil. Sad   I do have VetRx though...would that work?

I can do the alcohol/vinegar solution in his ears again...I have that mixed up right now.

If this doesn't work, then it's time to take the boy to the vet and find out what this is and why.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: