HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 21, 2018, 08:42:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19537 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Yeast Infection
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Topic: Yeast Infection  (Read 5588 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2014, 03:48:38 PM »

Vet RX would probably work for now.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 07:08:29 AM »

Ok...I will try the vetrx, and when we go to town today, or tomorrow...I'll pick up tea tree oil at Walmart...that's the only place we have here, without driving 30 miles to get it.

Now here again...Sam's last dose of ear mite med's was 2 days ago...usually by now he's shaking his head, and acting a little off, and scratching his ears.  This morning (day 3 after last treatment) he's shaking his head and taking his front paw over his ears...I looked at them and there's NOTHING in there...clean as a whistle, even down deep inside I see nothing in there.  I'm going to trim his ear hairs a little further out and away from the canal itself, see if that's what's bothering him now.  Usually by now, if this was mites, his ear would be blackish brown and covered in yuck inside of it...this is clearer than before he got this issue going on.  I just don't get it.  Fungus?  Yeast?  Mites?  Good grief!!!  Embarrassed Roll Eyes

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2014, 03:52:26 PM »

No Penny, his ears aren't wet a lot...none at all except when I bathe them once a month...after each bath I use the vinegar/alcohol mixture to help dry the inner ear and I take a cotton ball and dry out the outer areas so that I get all the dirt out.

I'll keep trying the vinegar/alcohol solution and see if that kills it...do you treat it daily or once weekly or what?

With a fungal infection does it leave the ears dirty looking?  His ears are clean as a whistle still today...nothing there that I can see.  Before when I was treating him, his ears looked nasty, just like he'd went out and rolled in a ton of mud.  Now they aren't like that at all.

He's not been on antibiotics for a few months now.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2014, 02:55:23 PM »

If the infection is bad enough the ears will look dirty, but mostly they might be a bit red form the dogs digging at them. With mine, the way I would find out would be the squishy, gurgly feeling and sound I would get when I would massage their ears. The gunk settles in the ear canal and you can hear and feel it.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2014, 06:06:37 AM »

He's doing better...can't believe it's been this long getting him over this...what's up with this any way?  If I could figure out why he got the mites to begin with and now what ever we're going through "fungal" or "yeast" infection...it would make sense to me.  But Sammy is as clean as a whistle, and from working at the Boarding/training kennel for many years, we bathed thousands of dogs, and I was taught how keep the water out of the ears and clean them last when bathing...same with washing the face...so I am careful during their once a month bathing...flush with the alcohol/vinegar solution, allow them to shake that out of their ears and then follow up with a cotton ball to clean the outer ear.

His ears are a little red but not bad...he's not digging at them, but yesterday he started shaking his head again so we treated again...it's like every 3 or 4 days I have to treat them...we never had to do this before.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2014, 03:44:13 PM »

I'm blaming the odd weather for all the problems people are having with their animals. After 11 years my Setter suddenly get a yeast infection in her ears?????? My upright eared Greyberian HuskHound gets an ear infection also? I don't give them baths, so that is not the cause.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2014, 07:20:36 AM »

I'm calling the Vet today on Sam...I can't figure it out...he was up all night last night suffering with this (he woke me up at 2am)...I doctored with the alcohol/vinegar stuff and it sent him insane!!!  I thought he was gonna have a freakin' seizure before he finally calmed down.  There is nothing in his ears that I can see visually...but instantly after I put it in his ears he went crazy...I finally got him calmed down enough to look back in his ears and they were on fire!!  So darn red I thought they were going to bleed, and I didn't put that much liquid in his ears.  I grabbed some ice in a tea towel and place one on each ear for over an hour trying to calm him down.  Needless to say, we didn't catch much sleep last night at all.

If it's not one thing with Sammy it's another.  Staff infection in his toe because the Vet says he's cow hocked and drags his hind feet, and it causes sores that get staff infection in them that I don't see until the staff is already set in and he's limping again. Sad  Then he's in need of hip replacements...in both hips...a surgery that I have to take him to a Vet hospital 2 hours away and I have to be honest it's a cost I don't know that I can afford.  He takes a lot of med's for it now...natural stuff like vet script high powered glucosamine/msm/chondroitin to the tune of $150.00 a month for those med's, but the med cost doesn't bother me, if it is working well enough to keep him out of surgery, as this is MAJOR surgery.  He's got severe allergies in his eyes, that I am constantly treating for especially after being bathed.  Now this battle with what ever is going on in his ears..which is a first time he's had any thing wrong with his ears, but between OTC med's, and Vet med's, for the past 2 and 1/2 weeks, it's clear they aren't getting any better and I have got to do something, I can't have him suffering like he did last night.  That was just awful.   So off to the vets office again.

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2014, 11:48:33 AM »

We are back from the Vets office...
Sammy does not have ear mites, nor does he have a yeast infection, and he does not have a fungal infection...maybe due to the treatments I've been giving, I don't know...however, he has a seriously inflamed ear canal, his inner ear canal really bad, and his ear drum has a slight perforation, about the size of a pin head.  The Doc gave him a massive antibiotic shot, that will last 30 days, he also has an anti-inflammatory to take for the next ten days, she also put him on Life Advantage Supplement that will also have more powerful Glucosamine as well as boosting his immune to fight back with as this antibiotic is so strong that it will kill off a lot of his good bacteria..and we can't keep him on the canine fastrack because that will kill the antibiotic, so he's on this Life Advantage for 6 wks.  I have to clean his ears with this special script cleansing rinse.  I am to put it on a cotton ball and just wipe the outer ear area to help soothe and take the redness and swelling out.  Sammy did appear to have had a seizure.  Most probably brought on by the ear mite med's I was using.  I took both med's with me, and we ended up pouring them out and tossing them in the trash.

I asked the Vet how it got this far and she said there were so many reasons that this can happen, and she tried to reassure me that I did what would have been best for him at the time, but I still can't help kicking myself for not taking him in when the med's didn't work over a week ago. Sad  Won't make that same mistake again...I assure you that.  This mistake not only made Sammy worse, but it also costed me 347.00 to repair that mistake and Sammy 30 days to heal. 

He's very tired right now, and seems to be resting good.  Hopefully he will rest the rest of the day and be fine tonight.  At least we're out of the danger part of it, or I hope we are any way.

~ Birdie ~
Sally P
Goat Genius

New Sharon, Maine

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2014, 02:24:19 PM »

The very best ear mite medication you can use is VetRx.  It works on dogs, cats, goats, rabbits, etc.  It is natural and I've never heard of an animal having a reaction to VetRx.  so when you think you are buying it only for the sniffles, it is a super mite med also. 
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2014, 06:11:00 AM »

The very best ear mite medication you can use is VetRx.  It works on dogs, cats, goats, rabbits, etc.  It is natural and I've never heard of an animal having a reaction to VetRx.  so when you think you are buying it only for the sniffles, it is a super mite med also. 

Yep, Sally...I remember you telling me that years and years ago...and yes, I did try it...it might have, but might not have worked, as it came right back 4 days later after using it for almost a week...that's when I went to the actual ear mite med's.  I can't tell you which medication/treatment worked or didn't work, as Doc said he didn't have ear mites and he didn't have a yeast infection nor was it a fungal infection...his issue when we went in, was inflamed ear canal and ear drum with a slight perforation to the ear drum.  So I don't know past that, which treatment worked.  All I know is I'll get it verified first before I treat for any thing in the ear again.

~ Birdie ~
creekmom
Goat Genius

South Central Texas

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »

Pam,

Glad Sammy is getting some needed rest.  I may have missed reading it in a previous post of yours, but what causes a perforation in the ear drum?

Elizabeth
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 05:42:08 AM »

She actually said she thought it was from the strong Permitherin.  I was afraid I had done it when cleaning...she told me that the way the ear canal is, there would be a very slight chance that I could have reached the ear drum..she said the canal goes down and then turns inward towards the head before reaching the ear drum...she said typically has to sedate or put a dog to sleep in order to get to their ear drums...we were lucky, Sammy allowed her to do it, without any issues or fits.  She said to tug and pull that ear the way it would need to be in order to reach the ear drum is painful for the dog.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: