HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2017, 11:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19438 Posts in 1390 Topics by 722 Members
Latest Member: grammadeb
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Let's Catch Up
| |-+  Just Cause (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Deb - looking for your protocol for making ACV
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Deb - looking for your protocol for making ACV  (Read 1944 times)
Pat
Caprine Guru

« on: August 17, 2014, 06:17:01 PM »

and can't find it.  Can  you direct me?  Or give me simple directions?

How's the knee?

How's the boy?

Most importantly, how are you?
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »

Oh, geez, I'll look for it when I get home. I'm pretty sure I saved it on my PC.

Knee is ok, good days and bad days. Climbing ladders really hurt.  Roll Eyes

Son is the same. Now he has the flu.  tongue

I'm ok. Hanging in there. Thank you for asking!

I think it went something like-put the peels. cores or apple bits in with water and add sugar. Let sit for 2 weeks or so (covered with a cloth because you want air flow at this point.) Strain and let set another coupl eof weeks. I think that's what I did anyway. I am using up the last of one 5 gallon bucket of it form last fall. I have another one I need to strain the apple gunk out.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »

Hey Pat, I finally found the recipe for ACV from apple peels:

ACV

We first we collected the leftover peels and cores and put them in shallow pie dishes, then added enough water to cover the scraps by about an inch or two. We added 1/4 cup sugar to each and placed a plate on top of the mixture with a smaller bowl on top of the plate to weight it down and keep the scraps submerged. Next, we covered the bowls with a tea towel and let sit for one full week — this allowed for the beginning stages of fermentation.

After one full week, we checked our apple mixture which had considerably darkened in color and formed a little mold on the liquid's surface — which is OK. We spooned off any surface mold, then drained the liquid and peels through a sieve into a large measuring pourer. We transferred this liquid into a jar, covered the rim with cheese cloth and tightly closed the lid (the cheese cloth allows the vinegar to breath and helps avoid any metal corrosion). It now will just need to sit for 6 weeks until we have vinegar!

Now my 2 cents!: I followed this at first using mason jars instead of pie plates. I added cores to the peels. When I found it worked pretty well, I started using plastic 5 gallon pails and whole, slightly soft apples. I cut/mashed them up, added the water and sugar and covered the bucket with a clothe so it could breathe. With this much in a bucket, it did take longer than a week to start the fermentation process. I think it took 2-3 weeks.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52:40 PM »

Thanks!  The apples on the old tree in the yard are starting to ripen, and while they're tasty, they're really small...if you try to peel and core them, there's not but a couple of spoonfulls of apple left! Not worth the effort to try to make apple sauce or butter.

I'll give this a try.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:51:16 AM »

Dragon I'm gonna make this thread a sticky for others that would like to have the receipt too. Smiley

Good question Pat.  Nothing better than homemade products.  Much better for us and our animals. Smiley

Now I wish I had an apple tree...we have plum trees all over the place, pear trees, blueberry bushes and black berry bushes every where...but not one Apple tree. Sad

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »

Question, if I go the 5 gallon bucket route, how much apple scraps, sugar, and water do I use? Sorry if this is a dumb question. I'm one of those people who need a recipe at least the first time.  Wink

Central Ohio
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »

Not dumb. I just kind of dumped stuff together. What it worked out to be:

Dump apples or apple parts in bucket and add 2 cups of sugar. Fill with water to about 2" from the top. I cover the bucket with an old tee shirt and use baling twine to wrap around the bucket to hold the shirt on.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:13 AM »

Dragon would you say that the 5 gallon bucket was half full, 3/4's full, or all the way to the top with the apple scraps?  Or was it less than that even?

~ Birdie ~
Pat
Caprine Guru

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:40:48 AM »

And also, did you let it sit at cool-ish temps (i.e., in the house), or in the garage or barn, where it gets significantly warmer?
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:58:04 AM »

Thank you Birdie and Pat for asking my next two questions.  Smiley

Central Ohio
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:19 AM »

And you for your answers Dragon.  Smiley

Central Ohio
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 03:48:24 PM »

Oh, man, you are making this old brain really think to remember!!!!!!!

I think the bucket was about 3/4 full of apple stuff.

I left the buckets on my back porch. It had several windows and a southern exposure but is cold as sin in the winter. In fact, one bucket still has the vinegar from last fall I need to start using. They are there thru the coldest winter (like our killer, never ending winter of 13/14) and this not so summery summer 14)

nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Thanks Dragon I will have to try this. Tired of buying from the store. And thanks to Pam too for this wonderful sticky!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: