HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 20, 2018, 10:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19536 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Skunked
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Skunked  (Read 2095 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: September 20, 2014, 02:36:51 PM »

I started chores when I got home from work at about midnight. When I let the 4 inside dogs (including the 2 Pyrenees) out, the 2 Pyrs race out barking to warn the world that they were out and on patrol. It didn't work so well last night. On the other side of the fence was a skunk, who obviously didn't appreciate the dogs announcement. He/she let them know in no uncertain terms. Nessa got it, Spohie, Storm and Annie were spared.

Since skunk smell is pretty common around here, especially spring and fall, I didn't think anything of it....until Annie and Nessa followed me into the back porch. OH, MY!!!!! Very Angry Scared Bolt Shocked Nessa got it!

It was midnight and no stores are open anywhere. I sprayed her (now in the house) with vinegar and baking soda mixed with water that I use on stains and spills. Didn't do much. Then I remembered the hydrogen peroxide in my bedroom. I ran up and got that. Ended up chasing Nessa all over the downstairs, but I got her, and the floor, covered. The smell was almost gone!

Or so I though.....when I got into bed, Nessa decided she needed to sleep with her head on my chest. Nope, not all gone....she still was skunky. Covered her again with peroxide, which cut the smell enough so that I could sleep. Roll Eyes

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »

Oh no.  I hate that.  I am guessing they did not get it in their eyes?  They would of for sure let you know. 

This is what I have used and it is great. 

The big bottle of hydrogen peroxide,I believe 32oz  1/4 cup of baking soda, and a couple of tablespoons of liquid soap.  The hydrogen peroxide and the baking soda work together to neutralize the odor and the soap is really more of a vehicle for you to be able to turn the solution into a "shampoo".

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 04:12:42 PM »

ewww!!! or should I say "PeeeUUUUUU"....lol. 

We used Massingale douche's on our dogs...worked pretty good, except it took a lot of them with the size dogs we had.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:56:22 PM »

I usually use Massengils mixed 50/50 with peroxide but I don't generally have massengils hanging around the house. I think I will buy a case next time I am at Walmart and stuff it in a closet just in case. Probably get a big bottle of peroxide and put it with the massengils.

Several years ago my Chow, Max, got blasted by a skunk he had grabbed by the neck. The skunk unloaded against his chest. Ugh. I had nothing at the house, so I ran (at 0200 in the am) to Walmart when it was open 24/7 and bought a gallon of peroxide and a case of Massengils Vinegar and water. The girl at the register gave me a really, really odd look.  laugh

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 09:37:17 PM »

Oh no yuk! Dragon you get that case, most assuredly it wont happen again? laugh
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

I'm hoping it won't! If I had the case, then Murphey's Law would be null and void! hehehe

ilroost
Caprine Guru

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »

When i got sprayed, i tried everything,nothing worked. Then i read on line to try coke or pepsi. It worked great. Poured it on my arms then rinsed it off.
Poured it on my clothes then washed, you couldn't even tell i was sprayed.
Not sure how this would work for a dog thou
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:20:37 PM »

They'd try to drink it!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: