HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2018, 04:50:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
  wcm

Stats
20244 Posts in 1450 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Beat; The Heart of What Keeps us Going
| |-+  In Those We Trust (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Dogs and raw meat?--Dragon? Creekmom?
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Topic: Dogs and raw meat?--Dragon? Creekmom?  (Read 3840 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 03:27:33 PM »

My mothers dog cannot eat Chondroiton or glucosamine, it makes her throw up. The MSM works well for her, but the other, either in pill form or in the food makes her sick.

I have always mixed raw and kibble together.  If you do a total raw diet, you should not add kibble. When I could afford a total raw diet, I did not feed any commercial food. Mine are used to having the raw mixed with their grain free kibble.

I get the meat I feed as scraps at the local meat store. Another source comes from a place that makes ground beef out of old dairy cattle, mosty sold for sled dogs. The cost is low, since it is not made for human consumption. I get it free right now, as I am trading goat milk for meat.

Raw meat is richer, which may be upsetting Sammy's stomach. Cooking reduces the fat content somewhat, which would help him to digest it. Pyrs are supposed to do very well on mutton/lamb diet because that is what they have been eating since the beginning.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:26 PM »

Thanks for that info Dragon...

Sammy won't eat Lamb...or rather I should say he won't eat the Lamb Kibble food...I don't have access to fresh Lamb...I did try Sammy on that expensive Call Of the Wild...he wouldn't touch it for love nor money...I tried him on all those high priced dog foods, grain free and the others that are middle grade foods...even IAM's and Science Diet and many many others...the one that I did find Sam would eat is the Salmon/Sweet Potato in the 4 Health, and Chicken and Rice in the Purina One or Purina Pro Plan...we switch it every other bag...trying to keep him eating is no easy task....I have been trying like crazy to get this Dog up to 6 cups of food a day since he was a year old...NOPE...HE WON'T EAT ALL THAT...he will eat 3 to 3 and 1/2 cups of food a day, even when I mix it with boiled meats, and things he devours...he still won't eat more than 3 cups to 3 and 1/2 cups of food a day.  He's in good body weight...but I'd like more weight on him.

He's holding all his food down...IF...I boil the meats.  I have been using the broth of the boiled meats to coat his kibble food...seems to make him eat better if the kibble is basted with the broth.

He's a very picky dog...Sasha on the other hand, she will eat any thing and every thing...but with the issue of the hook worms eating through her intestines when I first got her...her stomach can't handle sudden changes or certain foods.   

~ Birdie ~
nancy d
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

N.W. WA

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »

You know what, aside from any issues he might have my boys really don't eat much, one gets a 16oz cottage cheese container of kibble & the other a container & 1/3.
We ran out of kibble once for a couple of days.
Know what they got? Cooked oatmeal with raw eggs with shells, a little flaxmeal & blackstrap molasses.
They were ready to rip the bowls out of my hands & they are normally very well behaved when I bring their food.
Anatolians lived on porridge in the old country, plus raw leftovers from butchering.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »

My Pyrs get 2 1/2 cups of kibble and a meatball of raw meat daily and are of a good weight. That's about what my Malamutes get also. The big double coated dogs like Mals, Husky's and Pry's are very energy effecient and get by on what looks like hardly anything!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2014, 04:20:44 AM »

well then by what Sam eats...and what you say yours eat...then maybe he's right where he should be, but....not long ago Sammy got sick and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what was wrong...I took him to the vet and the vet said he was fine...however, Sammy went almost a week and a half without eating any thing...a nibble here or there, but that was it...he would throw up bile and that really concerned me a lot.  That's when the Vet put him on the Life Vantage Supplement...he hasn't done that since.  He was 205lbs when he quit eating and dropped to 186lbs in that week and a half.  Sammy, though he is eating now, hasn't gained that weight back.  This worries me. 

~ Birdie ~
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 05:22:10 AM »

UPDATE...

I have been blanching Sam's raw meats and adding them to his kibble to insure he wouldn't throw it up...well that went fine, and continues to go well...but I attempted to wean him off the blanching of the meats and mixing raw meats with his kibble...these meats are ground up, so the pieces are super tiny...the first attempt, within 5 minutes of eating it (and not even eating the entire dish of food), he was throwing it up.  So I went back to the blanched meats mixing the ground meat in with both is blanched and his kibble food this morning, and again this morning, within 5 minutes of eating it, he was throwing it all back up again.  He doesn't throw up the food as long as I blanch the meats.

Is there a reason why Sammy throws up the raw meats?  This is good ground, fresh beef and deer meats mixed together.  I just don't understand why he does fine with the blanched meats, but not the raw meats.  I don't think I'll ever be able to get him over to a raw meat diet. Sad  This is very discouraging because I want to do what's right for my dogs.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »

Maybe his system just can't handle the raw. Cooking it helps to break down the fibers and changes the basic structure, making it easier to digest. I know you give him Fastrack, so it's not like he's lacking in the little bacterias that aid in digestion. As you said, maybe he just will never be able to eat raw foods. Cooking it a bit is fine, if that is what it takes.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2015, 05:17:47 PM »

Thanks Deb...

I suppose if the blanched meats is just as nutritious as the raw, then I'll continue with the blanched and try to wean away the kibble.  If that's what his stomach will handle, then that's what we'll do.

~ Birdie ~
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: