HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 11:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19691 Posts in 1403 Topics by 723 Members
Latest Member: MaryKat1982
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Mini Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  Do you thnk they're too old to breed
Pages: [1] Print
Topic: Do you thnk they're too old to breed  (Read 3256 times)
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« on: November 18, 2014, 12:29:25 PM »

My wonderful cousin gave me 2 full blood pygmy does that are 8 years old - they'll be 9 on April 1 2015.  I thought for a brief moment in time that she would want them back in the spring but has decided no they are mine! YAY! (Can never have enough goats - even though pygmys are my first fav) They are so sweet, but they have never been bred.  I need advice on whether I should bred them or not and if I should find a pygmy buck and not use my 6 month old Kiko buck.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:14:10 PM »

in my personal opinion, I would not breed them at that age.  Typically the life span of a goat is suppose to be 8 yrs old...though I tell ya, that might be the average age limit, but a well cared for goat will live long past that.  Even with that said, these girls are truly past their prime of breeding in my opinion...others may have more to offer from experience of breeding girls that are elder aged, and have more info to give you.  With them never being bred before, that would concern me at their age.

No, I would only breed mini to mini and never a mini to a large breed goat.  The birthing issues are high in these mini's to begin with, and add that with a large breed baby, and you could possibly run into very devastating issues. 

Congratulations on the newest arrivals to your goat family..and please keep this secret from my goats (I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings), but the pygmy is my up most favorite of all goat breeds.  I absolutely adore the pygmy goat. Smiley

~ Birdie ~
MedsHomestead
Goataholic

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:14:56 AM »

Thanks Birdie - that's what I was thinking too - I wasn't sure Of the life span for sure - I did think it was about 8-10 on average.  These are nice plum little gals but I really don't feel like training them to milk, and I have had one devastating episode with a female pygmy that I rescued from an apartment "pet" situation - turns out she was a bred to a larger breed buck and long painful story short I lost her and the baby!

Sometimes I just have to make sure I'm thinking straight.

Thanks again.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 12:31:54 PM »

You're thinking plenty straight my friend...and I admire you for asking to make absolutely sure of yourself...I can't tell you how many times my own goats have had me question my thoughts...two heads are always better than one.

As for the "milking" of the pygmy...a pygmy is a meat goat, typically not producing milk like the Nigerian Dwarf (the dairy breed of the mini goats)...I would say it would be difficult to milk a pygmy for useful purposes..maybe milk one down a little if they kid with a single baby, but past that, I don't think they'd give you the milk production you'd be looking for.

Enjoy them and be entertained...they are true to life comedians. Smiley  Wink

~ Birdie ~
sweetgoats
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

I don't think that is to old.  One of my does decided she wanted to be a mom again at the age of 12, she was a great mom and had beautiful twins, and took care of them just like normal.  
  I say if they come in heat then bred them, if they don't take well that was your answer.  All that as long as they are in good condition.

Lori

Home of the Colorado State Fair Grand Champion doe, 2003,2004,2005,2007,2008,2009. and 2011.
Premier Breeder and Premier Exhibitor for 2008 and 2009.
Julie H
Goat Genius

Missouri

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 01:17:54 PM »

I have 3 boer goats who are coming 9 this spring and I bred them again.  As long as they can eat well and can hold their condition well, I see no reason not to try.  I would definitely breed to a buck who is their own size.  They should be able to nurse their babies ( if they are willing) so no need to milk on your part.
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:47:01 PM »

Mini breeds typically live longer than standard breeds. My late standard herd had an average age of 9 (the oldest was 13, followed by 12. Both had triplets just before the fire.)

As Sweetgoats says, you could try breeding them to a pyg buck (or Nigerian). If it works, you have kids, if not it was not meant to be.

A friends 10 year old Pointer female dog just delivered 4 puppies for the first time in her life. It was a surprise, since they did not know she had been bred.

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 05:27:55 AM »

I worry due to the fact of not just their ages and the difficulties that Pygmy's can have giving birth at times...but that they are First Fresheners, and over weight.  I would agree that if they weren't FF's, then by all means they would probably do very well indeed.

But again...Prince and Taddy were my only two "senior" goats...all our girls were 4 yrs or younger...and lets face it...Prince and Taddy were never gonna have babies since they were wethers!!! hahaha.  laugh

~ Birdie ~
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 06:59:38 AM »

I too would worry about them being ff. I bred my Nigerian doe for the last time at 7 and she gave me beautiful triplets. However, it took forever to get her looking good again and she did have issues with delivering the afterbirth. I don't know if it was due to her age or not but she was happy to retire and hasn't minded just hanging with all her other kids in the barn.  Smiley

Central Ohio
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: