HomeHelpLoginRegister

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 16, 2018, 07:19:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search

News
hihand Welcome!

Stats
19521 Posts in 1390 Topics by 725 Members
Latest Member: margot
+  Welcome to Goat Beat!
|-+  Goat Cafe; Just the Facts
| |-+  Dairy Goats (Moderators: imalilbirdie, pearplum, nancy d, dragonlair, sweetgoats)
| | |-+  This doe is driving me crazy
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Topic: This doe is driving me crazy  (Read 3420 times)
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« on: January 02, 2015, 03:57:58 PM »

I have a little Oberhasli doe. She was born shortly after the fire (so it would have been in 2011) and given to me by her breeder so I could have some of the bloodlines I lost in the fire back.

She is a pretty little girl, sweet and mild tempered. However, she makes me very angry.

How, you ask?
 She refuses to eat once she becomes pregnant!
Her first year she stopped eating and ended up with Milk fever. Got her thru that and she had twins.
 Last year she went down with milk fever and ketosis. I really thought I was going to lose her, but she popped out the triplets (I took one and bottled it with another bottle kid) and slowly came back.

This year I made sure I cut back on the protein in their feed so they would more than likely have twins (I had several triplets last year and a set of quads). I dried her up early and got her bulked up. She is due in early April. Now, she has started her anorexia again! She only nibbles on her hay and barely picks at her grain. Vit B shots do nothing. I have to tie her in front of her grain bucket for long periods of time to get her to even eat some of it. I give her ginger snaps in case she has "morning sickness" but it doesn't do much. Nothing does, actually, until I have to treat her for early Milk fever or pregnancy toxemia. 
Grrrrrrrrr

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
blessednest
Goat Genius

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 05:46:21 PM »

Oh my, that's a long time to have to coax her into eating. Maybe some counseling?  Huh?

Central Ohio
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 05:31:51 AM »

Grin Grin  Counceling...Juli that's too funny.

Hey Dragon, have you tried high Calcium on her?  Such as putting a human form of Calcium in her feed or drenching her with a dissolved tablet?  There has to be a reason why she's doing this.  Will she drink warm molasses water?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 02:43:03 PM »

They get calcium supplements in their beet pulp and mixed in their minerals, so there is no lack of calcium. She doesn't like molasses water. She doesn't like Tums. She doesn't like sweet feed. She will nibble on the 20% protein dairy goat pellet but that is about it. She doesn't eat enough to keep a goat kid alive! She does eat her loose minerals and I started putting baking soda in another feeder thing just in case her belly is upset. I think I will start giving her/them ginger snaps to sooth their stomach!

DragonLair Farm and Kennel in Central Maine with Nubians, Lamanchas and Oberhasli. Of course, combinations of 2 or more breeds happens also.
imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 03:43:39 PM »

she's a strange one for sure.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 10:59:34 AM »

Oh, yeah, she is. She will pick the weeds out of the hay and nibble a bit on the grass hay, but grain, alfalfa pellets, anything like that....no way! grrrrrr

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »

Ya know, I'm wondering if maybe some black berry leaves would help her?  It sounds like a digestive issue during pregnancy...does she eat this picky when she's not bred?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »

No, usually she is a piggy. She starts this pickiness at about 2 1/2 months along, has all 3 times. She did eat half her grain this morning and was eating her hay, good thing, the wind chill is supposed to be -29 tonight. Now I just have to worry about Rhu, who didn't eat her breakfast and is acting off. I think she is aborting, she is the one who kidded premies last year after falling on the ice. zI treated her for a uterine infection, but there may still be enough of an infection in there to kill the developing kids. If she does abort and is still alive, I will fill her uterus with antibiotics!

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:37:58 PM »

OH gosh, I hope she's not aborting.  That weather is going to be tough on all of you...human and animals.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »

Rhu stiill won't eat, rumen not functioning. Not sure what she got into, but for her not to eat and not to pick on the other goats, something is terribly wrong. She, of course, is freezing. It was -20 last night, it's maybe 5 here right now.

I have been giving her Vit B complex and baking soda. I mixed a horrible combo of baking soda, water, ginger, sugar, brewers yeast  and probiotics this morning. I went out and bought the darkest beer I could find (NO GUINNESS!!!!!!!! No one had any! grrr) which was a local winter beer that also has ginger, cinnamon and citrus in it. I dumped more baking soda in it and added some sugar to kill the fizz and warmed it up a bit. (ugh...warm beer.)

Rhu was not happy and fought me all the way. I managed to get about 1 1/2 cups into her. I have more sitting out to give her before I go to work.

Todays lesson- NEVER GO INTO A GOAT PEN WITH BEER! I got mobbed by the other 8 trying to get at that beer. They were trying to lick it out of poor Rhus mouth!

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:19:14 PM »

Darn that lil' girl.  Say Deb, I once needed something more than the baking soda and tried a Rootbeer on one of my goats, and it worked great.  They typically really like the rootbeer too...the other day, Prince drank an entire can of rootbeer.  I took a short break and went out and sit with the old man for a little while...I had a rootbeer that I had just opened and poured a little in his feed dish...he drank every stinkin' ounce of it and licked the pan clean and asked for more...you should have seen him, it was so funny...he just opened his mouth and I poured it in and he guzzled it right down...man did he do some belching afterwards.  So hopefully you'll have some Rootbeer on hand.

We can jump her rumen if you wanna...you've still got your horse right?  Just go out there and get some fresh hot manure and bring it in and put it down in some hot boiling water...run it through some cheese cloth (or I use a coffee filter) to filter out the debris and then drench her with a pint of that after it cools....it works real good.

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 03:02:31 PM »

She usually LOVES beer, she just doesn't want to eat anything right now. She has had several doses of beer and her stomach has started to gurgle and move, so hopefully she is on the right path. I have goat manure brewing in a cup of beer I left out to de-fuzz for her evening drink tonight.

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 05:47:32 AM »

So how's she doing this morning?

~ Birdie ~
dragonlair
Herdmaster
Goat Genius

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:10 AM »

Holding her own, I guess. She ate a bit of hay, I think. She had a blade of hay sticking out of her mouth. She seems a bit more active. She hates me right now for dumping all that stuff into her. I think the last nights bedtime cocktail of poop and beer really made her hate me. She's still not herself, very lethargic, but seems to be holding her own.

Phoenix finally ate all of her grain this morning! However, she hobbles out of the stall limping on 2 legs, a back leg and a front leg. It just never ends with this girl.  Roll Eyes Sad

imalilbirdie
Herdmasters
Goat Genius

Texas

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 03:30:59 PM »

I'm wondering something here with Rhu....what if we give her a good healthy dose of Penicillin.  Back that up with probiotic and bcomplex.  And I think I'd give it to her orally instead of injected.  There's something in that gut that's not just right...I might be wrong here, but something eats at me telling me it's in her gut...kill it, and she'll be ok.  What do you think?

~ Birdie ~
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: